The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 14, 2006, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
he intimated that officials wearing the same "Cliff Keen shirt and Cliff Keen polyester knickers" in Carolina in September as they were in Green Bay in December is stupid
Why is it stupid?

I've never heard a football official say, "man, we are freezing our butts off out there; if they would only let us wear different pants..."

I'm not a cold weather authority (even though it does occassionally get pretty cold down here in November), but if I'm packing for a cold night game, I'm much more concerned about shirts, undershirts, gloves, and maybe socks.
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

I was also at Liberty Bell last week and Pereira was in our breakout session (R). He and Gerry McGinn led the discussion and Pereira went into a little bit more detail about the change that is coming. Without being too specific, he intimated that officials wearing the same "Cliff Keen shirt and Cliff Keen polyester knickers" in Carolina in September as they were in Green Bay in December is stupid - with nothing against Cliff Keen - but he sees everyone on the sideline in parkas and hoods and his guys are out there with the same thing on as warm weather with some extra undergarments on. "being cold doesn't make you a better official" was the main point.

-- That makes perfect sense. I just hope they don't overhaul the uniform and make it lose its integrity.

He mentioned the full length black pants for cold weather games and I'm guessing a new fabric for hot weather. He did mention the Miller Lite commercials in passing, but the way he said it, I doubt it has much to do with any change.

-- I wonder if he touched on when Red Cashion made a cameo appearence in a commercial a few years ago

Got booted from the Ace Center - had to get rooms in King of Prussia - some last minute Bar Mitzvah booking. Bummer.

-- Ouch that had to suck!!

It was like being at the Oscars for football officials. Just in awe to be watching a presentation from Art McNalley - he wrote the 7 man mechanics manual for god sakes. Jimmy Quirk, Hill, Schleyer, Camp....all stars. Was behind Quirk as we all filed out of the driveway - nice ride: 500SL Convertible

-- When your a great umpire, you get to drive the good cars.
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: ABoselli...Mr. Quirk did quite well for himself on Wall Street before retiring. On the other hand, Messrs. Hill and Camp are still public school teachers and probably drove down together in something considerably less 'obvious' than a Mercedes.
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljudge
I saw several NFL officials this past weekend including Mike Pieira and Art McNally. They mentioned stuff about buckling down on excessive celebrations ...
This comment from Pieira got the biggest cheer of the day!
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
These guys were pretty "down to earth." Someone asked who the toughest coach was and as they were thinking about it they were asked by name...."belichick, billick, parcells.???" Any way, I said well what about Gruden? The response was he's ok just says "F***" every third word from the sideline. Was kind of funny. They said coach Reid is one of the "nicer guys" in the league.
I've once asked Ed Camp about the coach who was the funniest or toughest and he always answers, Gruden. Hearing Ed speak about Gruden you know he has a lot of respect for him.
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 03:43pm
tpaul

Exclamation

Quote:
I saw several NFL officials this past weekend including Mike Pieira and Art McNally. They mentioned stuff about buckling down on excessive celebrations and some "minor rules changes" but nothing about uniforms.
Joe, I was in thed referee class with Mike Pieira and Jerry McGinn. Mike said the uniform changes would be for different climates. Black pants for cold weather. Different material for hot weather but no real change in the "look."
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 03:45pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M.
REPLY: Joe...Did you say hello to Ed Camp or Tom Hill (former NJFOA members) while you were there?
I got to meet and talk with Ed for a few minutes. I know I have talked with him on a different message board before...
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 03:56pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABoselli
I was also at Liberty Bell last week and Pereira was in our breakout session (R). He and Gerry McGinn led the discussion and Pereira went into a little bit more detail about the change that is coming. Without being too specific, he intimated that officials wearing the same "Cliff Keen shirt and Cliff Keen polyester knickers" in Carolina in September as they were in Green Bay in December is stupid - with nothing against Cliff Keen - but he sees everyone on the sideline in parkas and hoods and his guys are out there with the same thing on as warm weather with some extra undergarments on. "being cold doesn't make you a better official" was the main point.

He mentioned the full length black pants for cold weather games and I'm guessing a new fabric for hot weather. He did mention the Miller Lite commercials in passing, but the way he said it, I doubt it has much to do with any change.

He seemed different than I imagined he would be. Very much a rules geek, very big on making the life of the NFL official easier, not harder. We watched a lot of film from last season (the film he is currently sharing with the teams - TV and team film) and we focused on fouls from the R position. Wasn't there to "big time" anybody, loved to break down film and mechanics - like any other guy at a meeting. Even volunteered to copy his DVDs and mail them, along with their respective script of fouls, to each of us.

I would say it was a good clinic, but there were a few hiccups, being their first year. WAY too many people - need to cull that herd by about 25%. Audio/visual/computer operations were hit and miss. Brings any presentation to a screeching halt. Could have used a little more Q&A, but that goes back to number of guys there - it'll take all day if there's too many. Was at Honig's clinic at Mich. St. the month before and they had everyone submit questions relating to their position the the first day and the position clinicians made sure they touched on those topics the next day - making sure everyone got every question answered to their satisfaction. Maybe this needs to be a two day in order for that to happen.

Got booted from the Ace Center - had to get rooms in King of Prussia - some last minute Bar Mitzvah booking. Bummer.

It was like being at the Oscars for football officials. Just in awe to be watching a presentation from Art McNalley - he wrote the 7 man mechanics manual for god sakes. Jimmy Quirk, Hill, Schleyer, Camp....all stars. Was behind Quirk as we all filed out of the driveway - nice ride: 500SL Convertible.
Hey AB,
I was also in the R break out! I thought the "Bell" was the best conference I've been to. Yes, they had little problems, as always....I stayed in King of Prussia it was only $80. Com paired to the Ace center $200.
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 04:03pm
tpaul

Talking

Quote:
Oh yeah. Steve was wearing this real cool "XL" hat. You can tell him and Tom were very well respected. They referred to each other as "coach" in the clinic sessions. Any way, that's how they were introduced as working the Super Bowl. As was McGinn for working the Orange bowl and another official (forget his name) for working a Rose bowl.

They also talked about James Coleman's "call of the year." Apparently a linebacker on a field goal attempt late in a game purposely screened Coleman who is only about 5'8" as a SJ and is a rookie. Any way, after the snap the LB moved purposely in front of Coleman so the defense could execute a "pull and shoot" with out Coleman seeing the move. Any way quickly moved to the side and caught the defensive hold. He was given kudos about 5 times throughout the day.

And your buddy Mr. Camp has a Super Bowl in his future. When Mr. Pieira introduced him he told the group something like "unless something goes terribly wrong Mr. Camp definitely has a super bowl assignment in his future."

These guys were pretty "down to earth." Someone asked who the toughest coach was and as they were thinking about it they were asked by name...."belichick, billick, parcells.???" Any way, I said well what about Gruden? The response was he's ok just says "F***" every third word from the sideline. Was kind of funny. They said coach Reid is one of the "nicer guys" in the league.

Hey Joe it was great to finally meet you!
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

I was in the room with all you guys and didn't even know it. Next time, I'll wear my "alter ego" persona name tag to these things!

Hey - Pereira never did cover my question about the 'hook' on edge rushers as he said the film would soon show. That's the portion of our program where they all thought the machine was smoked.

You think we'll get our videos? I don't have McGinn's email but he said he had all our information.

The Honig Clinic in Michigan the month before was a bit more polished, but they've been at it for 10 years. Like I said, a lot more opportunity for Q and A and a chance to submit questions beforehand so they'll know to cover them.
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 08:19pm
tpaul

Quote:
I was in the room with all you guys and didn't even know it. Next time, I'll wear my "alter ego" persona name tag to these things!

Hey - Pereira never did cover my question about the 'hook' on edge rushers as he said the film would soon show. That's the portion of our program where they all thought the machine was smoked.

You think we'll get our videos? I don't have McGinn's email but he said he had all our information.

The Honig Clinic in Michigan the month before was a bit more polished, but they've been at it for 10 years. Like I said, a lot more opportunity for Q and A and a chance to submit questions beforehand so they'll know to cover them.
AB,
I sent an email to Pereira and he said he wouldn't forget. I don't have Mcginn's either but I do have Andy's and Herb Stayton's emails...

Honig is a great official too. I saw him a couple times at the "Big 33". This the "Bell's" first year....

I should have had my tpaul name tag on also!

But if you remember when the class started and Mc Ginn went around the room and had everybody introduce themselves...I was the first guy to go, in the front row with the glasses from New Jersey...LOL
Old Fri May 19, 2006, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

I was the guy who had just made the switch to R, to which McGinn replied, "lobotomy patient?".

I was hoping you weren't the guy with the flat top and glasses strap.

Good to know Pereira didn't forget. I did send an email to Andy as well, but no response yet. Slayton was in the back row, right?
Old Fri May 19, 2006, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

I always thought black pants would look cool.

I hope they make their way down to the lower levels eventually.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Fri May 19, 2006, 11:06pm
tpaul

Quote:
I was the guy who had just made the switch to R, to which McGinn replied, "lobotomy patient?".

I was hoping you weren't the guy with the flat top and glasses strap.

Good to know Pereira didn't forget. I did send an email to Andy as well, but no response yet. Slayton was in the back row, right?
Oh, I know who you are I remember that!

Nope. I can't remember that dudes named but I worked a scrimmage with him at Princeton University.

I sent a email to Andy too. Gave some of my thoughts on the clinic.

Herb Stayton was in the back with the grey hair. He is my mentor....
Old Fri May 19, 2006, 11:07pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack
I always thought black pants would look cool.

I hope they make their way down to the lower levels eventually.
I like back better too in Nickers and shorts, white is a bad color!