The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

OK, let's start one specifically on this topic. Is there a "norm" for enforcement of the uniform (tucked in) rule amongst board members?

Locally, we give the warning during the pre-game confrence w/ captains and coaches. If the shirt is "half out" we may give another warning, but otherwise we set them down to tuck it in, although we don't sepnd much time looking for it. The palyers and coaches have generally excepted this procedeure, and if anyone receives the ire of the coach, it's usually the player.

Your thoughts?

Blackhawk

[Edited by Blackhawk357 on Feb 10th, 2003 at 04:50 PM]
Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 06:30pm
certified Hot Mom tester

If their shirt comes out during play, certainly I don't stop play to have them tuck it in. I wait until there is a relatively long "break" (2 shot FT, etc.) and then tell them "this would be a good time to tuck shirts in, guys".

If they don't, I tell them I'm going to get the staple gun.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Sometimes shirts come out just with the play of the game. I'm not going out and looking for shirts out during the course of action...there are too many other things I'm concerned about. I'll have them tuck 'em in at dead balls, like Mr. Padgett said. However, if I specifically see somebody pulling out their jersey repeatedly after I tell them to tuck it in, that player is going to have a seat on the bench.

That said, a good rule of thumb I was once taught was this: if you aren't going to enforce it before the 4:00 minute mark of the 3rd quarter, don't start enforcing it then. Just another aspect of calling a consistent game, I suppose.

May the world be your whistle.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Mr. Padgett ~ I agree personally with your comments. We are instructed (by the state office) to stop the game if there "is a slow-down in action" and send the offending player to the bench. The occasions that necessitate this move have diminished by probably 90 % from the start of the year, however.

TriggerMN ~ You are absolutly right, if you are not going to enforce the rule early, you had better not be doing it in the last 4 minutes! If you do enforce the rule in the first 4 minutes, however, you will sendom have to enforce it in the last 4.

It's funny to me why the state it pushing us so hard on this one, when there so many other thing we need to focus on.

Blackhawk
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackhawk357
Mr. Padgett ~ I agree personally with your comments. We are instructed (by the state office) to stop the game if there "is a slow-down in action" and send the offending player to the bench. The occasions that necessitate this move have diminished by probably 90 % from the start of the year, however.
They actually want you to stop the game for this?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

Not sure about that policy,

Of course, repeat offenders or those that refuse to comply have to be dealt with, but stopping the game for a shirt tuck seems like overkill. Then again, we don't have a lot of problems with it, either.

I find a quick reminder in the pregame talk always helps...