The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

New NFL Uniforms?

I heard that the NFL refs might be wearing re-designed uniforms in the upcoming season.

I'm just wondering if anyone's heard anything about this, or what anyone thinks about it.
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: I hadn't heard that, but I hope they don't put any more patches on their hats!
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

I saw several NFL officials this past weekend including Mike Pieira and Art McNally. They mentioned stuff about buckling down on excessive celebrations and some "minor rules changes" but nothing about uniforms.
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

I think the NFL officials uniform is the classiest one in professional sports. It's good as it is. It hasn't changed much over the last 40 years, except the color of hats, and the number plackards.

DON'T CHANGE IT!
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

I agree the patches on the hats are awful. I also vote to NOT change the uniform.
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljudge
I saw several NFL officials this past weekend including Mike Pieira and Art McNally. They mentioned stuff about buckling down on excessive celebrations and some "minor rules changes" but nothing about uniforms.
REPLY: Joe...Did you say hello to Ed Camp or Tom Hill (former NJFOA members) while you were there?
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't get a chance to speak with Ed, unfortunately. At social hour he was in a circle with the other NFL officials and I didn't want to barge in on the conversation. Every time we broke I looked for him in the hall and couldn't locate him.

I did meet with Tom Hill however. I applied to NCAA as a deep official (as per others' recommendations) so I attended the deep official meetings having never worked back there to get as much knowledge as possible. Both Tom and Steve Zimmer were excellent clinicians. They also had rookie, James Coleman with them.

You should have came, Bob. I have been told that these clinics are such a "wrip-off" by sooooo many officials. One of them, who happened to attend, said this was by far the best clinic he has ever attended in his 18 years of officiating. He has attended so many others and decided to give this a shot.

The other official I wanted to meet was Gerry McGinn who was R for the 2006 Orange Bowl and a 2006 Rose Bowl official was also there. This was truly an "all-star" clinic.
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: You realize that Tommy and Zimmer both worked the Super Bowl this past season? They both grew up in the ECAC Metro Chapter...along with Ed.
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Oh yeah. Steve was wearing this real cool "XL" hat. You can tell him and Tom were very well respected. They referred to each other as "coach" in the clinic sessions. Any way, that's how they were introduced as working the Super Bowl. As was McGinn for working the Orange bowl and another official (forget his name) for working a Rose bowl.

They also talked about James Coleman's "call of the year." Apparently a linebacker on a field goal attempt late in a game purposely screened Coleman who is only about 5'8" as a SJ and is a rookie. Any way, after the snap the LB moved purposely in front of Coleman so the defense could execute a "pull and shoot" with out Coleman seeing the move. Any way quickly moved to the side and caught the defensive hold. He was given kudos about 5 times throughout the day.

And your buddy Mr. Camp has a Super Bowl in his future. When Mr. Pieira introduced him he told the group something like "unless something goes terribly wrong Mr. Camp definitely has a super bowl assignment in his future."

These guys were pretty "down to earth." Someone asked who the toughest coach was and as they were thinking about it they were asked by name...."belichick, billick, parcells.???" Any way, I said well what about Gruden? The response was he's ok just says "F***" every third word from the sideline. Was kind of funny. They said coach Reid is one of the "nicer guys" in the league.
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

I bet the new shirts will have Yellow stripes instead of White stripes!
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

The possible changes I heard of, are stripes that curve, like not straight stripes, I dunno how to describe it by typing but yeah.

Also the option of black pants during cold weather situations. I don't know how true this all is, but given the source I'm guessing it's pretty credible.
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 06:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
I've tried to stay off this topic because of what happened the last time I brought up a rumor (think back to blue bean bags for Fed). I heard from several NCAA officials at a clinic this past March that the NFL will have new officials' uniforms. In fact, the new head of the NFLRA was in attendance at this clinic.

This is what I've heard. Reebok will now be the sole provider of uniforms for NFL officials. So anticipate their logo plastered everywhere, including on the side or back of the pants, hats, and shirts from what I remember. There will also be two styles of pants. They will go with the traditional knickers for fall games, and in cold weather, they will switch to a longer pant, much like many baseball players are wearing.

The biggest change will be the shirts. I've heard that the NFL is upset with the ripoff refs in the Miller Lite ads and other ads depicting officials in a negative light. So to get around this, since Reebok will only produce these shirts, advertisers will not have access to this new shirt, hence actors not looking like real NFL officials. The stripes will start off roughly 4 inches wide at the top and taper down towards the beltline into a point, much like a elongated triangle.

Again, this is what I've heard. We will see come early August if some of these changes take place. We've all heard the rumor about switching to black knickers for years so who knows, maybe this is just another example of the rumor mill going on wrong information.
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

I hope they aren't changing the shirts because of the beer commercials, those are funny and even though they make fun of officials I laugh. Who cares?
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Longer pant for cold weather? My calves are the last thing to get cold in cold weather. UA cold gear will take care of that.

Heck, if you can keep your hands and feet warm, your body will be fine.
Old Sun May 14, 2006, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

I was also at Liberty Bell last week and Pereira was in our breakout session (R). He and Gerry McGinn led the discussion and Pereira went into a little bit more detail about the change that is coming. Without being too specific, he intimated that officials wearing the same "Cliff Keen shirt and Cliff Keen polyester knickers" in Carolina in September as they were in Green Bay in December is stupid - with nothing against Cliff Keen - but he sees everyone on the sideline in parkas and hoods and his guys are out there with the same thing on as warm weather with some extra undergarments on. "being cold doesn't make you a better official" was the main point.

He mentioned the full length black pants for cold weather games and I'm guessing a new fabric for hot weather. He did mention the Miller Lite commercials in passing, but the way he said it, I doubt it has much to do with any change.

He seemed different than I imagined he would be. Very much a rules geek, very big on making the life of the NFL official easier, not harder. We watched a lot of film from last season (the film he is currently sharing with the teams - TV and team film) and we focused on fouls from the R position. Wasn't there to "big time" anybody, loved to break down film and mechanics - like any other guy at a meeting. Even volunteered to copy his DVDs and mail them, along with their respective script of fouls, to each of us.

I would say it was a good clinic, but there were a few hiccups, being their first year. WAY too many people - need to cull that herd by about 25%. Audio/visual/computer operations were hit and miss. Brings any presentation to a screeching halt. Could have used a little more Q&A, but that goes back to number of guys there - it'll take all day if there's too many. Was at Honig's clinic at Mich. St. the month before and they had everyone submit questions relating to their position the the first day and the position clinicians made sure they touched on those topics the next day - making sure everyone got every question answered to their satisfaction. Maybe this needs to be a two day in order for that to happen.

Got booted from the Ace Center - had to get rooms in King of Prussia - some last minute Bar Mitzvah booking. Bummer.

It was like being at the Oscars for football officials. Just in awe to be watching a presentation from Art McNalley - he wrote the 7 man mechanics manual for god sakes. Jimmy Quirk, Hill, Schleyer, Camp....all stars. Was behind Quirk as we all filed out of the driveway - nice ride: 500SL Convertible.