The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Does your rules code define EXACTLY which words are unutterable? An F-Bomb is probably universally a curseword. But just about any other word may be taken by some to be a curseword, and some not. "Damn, my knee!" vs "Darn, my knee" - some would call both a curseword - some neither, most of us in between - but if we are to LEGISLATE cursewords on the field, we DAMN well better have a universal standard.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
- but if we are to LEGISLATE cursewords on the field, we DAMN well better have a universal standard.
That would make an iteresting list, indeed. I wonder who would come up with such a list? One would hope that it would not be done be committee!
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

George Carlin?
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

I see the humor, but I meant what I said seriously.

We have enough problems that develop when one set of officials rules one way, and then another officiates another way. Who hasn't heard, "They didn't call it that way last week" (granted, some of those are lies, but some aren't).

We do ourselves a good deal of harm when we write the rules in such a way that we CAUSE inconsistency in officiating.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

I've only been at this a few years, but I got some advice that I tend to agree with on this topic at an association meeting. I know it's been said here before, but the simpler the better as far as I'm concernced.
The basic rule I was taught to use is the direction of the profanity. Player curses because he drops a pass. OK (Unless he is very loud with it).
Player directs his profanity at the other team or one of its coaches or players, flag it.

I know this may be a simplification and there is a lot of grey area, but this is the rule of thumb I go by.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
I see the humor, but I meant what I said seriously.

We have enough problems that develop when one set of officials rules one way, and then another officiates another way. Who hasn't heard, "They didn't call it that way last week" (granted, some of those are lies, but some aren't).

We do ourselves a good deal of harm when we write the rules in such a way that we CAUSE inconsistency in officiating.

mccrowder I could not agree with you more. The humor such that it was, was not to make light of the fact that there needs to be consistency.
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

What is Profanity?

Having been reared in a religious Kentucky household where the word "shoot" was enough to get admonished, I have closed my ears to all but ethnic slurs.

Today's youngsters hear just about anything and everything on radio, TV and recorded music. How can you possibly punish a player for uttering a word he heard during the "family" hour on national TV?
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

I agree, Ed. By asking us to rule on profanity, without defining it in specific, they force us to be inconsistent.

I will not flag profanity in an of itself.

I WILL flag unsportsmanlike conduct - whether it includes a curse-word or not. "Hey, #9 - you SUCK!" Flag. "Hey, #9 - you STINK!" Still a flag. But "Oh, Ouch, My Knee!!!" is no flag, and "Oh, F---, My Knee!!!" is also no flag.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

We had an incident here two years ago with one team in particular who was really bad. Fortunately I wasn't at the game but apparently it was everything from teachers on the sidelines to the kids and coaches and school administrators just hollering and generally making total fools of themselves. Surprisingly the whole affair ended in a brawl.

The rule then came from our highschool football's provincial body that onfield officials were to show no tolerance whatsoever. Great. Tolerance for what?

During the pregame we're now instructed to remind coaches to keep their teams under control. I take the same liberty at the coin toss with the captains. I use the 'keep it in your helmet' rule. Unless it's some kind of racial slur or something and the kid is basically keeping it to himself then we won't worry too much.

Kinda funny story - we have one quarterback locally who is going to be in grade 12 this year. Frankly he's got some potential but he's going to have to learn to keep his yap shut. He's a captain so he hears my little blurb before every game but in every game right about half way through the third quarter his attention span dries up and blammo - he's hollering profanity to the high heavens. Fast forward to the last game of the season - they weren't going to get to playoffs - kid goes off at about the prescribed time. Coach calls a time out, trades quarterbacks, and our happy yeller was running the track in full equipment for the rest of the game
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Re: profanity

Quote:
Originally posted by 86362
Remember, high school athletics are an exetetion of the classroom. Does you school advocates profanity within its buildings????? The Michaigan High School Athletic Association pushs the idea that the athletics is an extention of the classroom.
I agree, and I think it's pretty obvious no school is "advocating" the use of profanity. That being said, I can't imagine a teacher (and I don't pretend to be 'in the know' on the policies of teachers) giving a kid detention because he says "damn" when with his friends, or he says the S-word when standing alone by his locker.
Old Thu Feb 24, 2005, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: profanity

Quote:
Originally posted by PSU213
Quote:
Remember, high school athletics are an exetetion of the classroom. Does you school advocates profanity within its buildings????? The Michaigan High School Athletic Association pushs the idea that the athletics is an extention of the classroom.
I agree, and I think it's pretty obvious no school is "advocating" the use of profanity. That being said, I can't imagine a teacher (and I don't pretend to be 'in the know' on the policies of teachers) giving a kid detention because he says "damn" when with his friends, or he says the S-word when standing alone by his locker.
My reply was going to be the direct opposite...
If you can't imagine a teacher doing such a thing and the teachers in your schools wouldn't do such a thing, then I'd pull out any kids you care about NOW. Earlier in the thread, someone said something about whether to flag or not when when "a player quitely says 'damn' after he drops a pass". Wow! When I was in high school, if, while the teacher was passing back tests, I got a "C" on mine I said "damn" quietly so she could hear and no one else you think she lets that go without saying anything? I certainly hope not...
Whenever you let something go, no matter how insignificant it may seem, not only are you advocating & allowing it (message to the offender), but you're also conditioning yourself for the future to accept the action as being perfectly OK.

JER
Old Thu Feb 24, 2005, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: profanity

Quote:
Originally posted by jransom
Quote:
Quote:
If you can't imagine a teacher doing such a thing and the teachers in your schools wouldn't do such a thing, then I'd pull out any kids you care about NOW. Earlier in the thread, someone said something about whether to flag or not when when "a player quitely says 'damn' after he drops a pass". Wow! When I was in high school, if, while the teacher was passing back tests, I got a "C" on mine I said "damn" quietly so she could hear and no one else you think she lets that go without saying anything? I certainly hope not...
Whenever you let something go, no matter how insignificant it may seem, not only are you advocating & allowing it (message to the offender), but you're also conditioning yourself for the future to accept the action as being perfectly OK.

JER
So, do you call every hold you see, even if it by the right tackle as the ball is 3 yards downfield on a sweep to the left side? In BB, should a foul be called every time there is contact on an arm? In baseball, do you keep the strike zone as tight in the JV game as the Varsity game, especially if one team is out decent pitchers and they are down by 14 runs? I hope not! You need to use common sense in all parts of life, on the field, and court as well. On the FB field, it is called advantage/disadvantage, and it is one thing that separates the good and great officials from those who kill the flow of the game with 33 flags, 48 foul calls, or 19 walks.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2005, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: profanity

Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
Quote:
Originally posted by jransom
Quote:
Quote:

JER
So, do you call every hold you see, even if it by the right tackle as the ball is 3 yards downfield on a sweep to the left side? In BB, should a foul be called every time there is contact on an arm? In baseball, do you keep the strike zone as tight in the JV game as the Varsity game, especially if one team is out decent pitchers and they are down by 14 runs? I hope not! You need to use common sense in all parts of life, on the field, and court as well. On the FB field, it is called advantage/disadvantage, and it is one thing that separates the good and great officials from those who kill the flow of the game with 33 flags, 48 foul calls, or 19 walks.
I want to repeat my point. Profanity is a matter of relevance. Some households with limited language skills the F-word is a noun, adjective, adverb and any other form you can imagine. So do we penalize a player who goes that was a F-ing good hit?

Personally, I resent the big guys behind the desk telling me to penalize every violation of language when there is no concrete definition or can there ever be. Leave it to the discretion of the on-field official.
Old Sat Feb 26, 2005, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: profanity

Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
I won't address the BB & BB questions, because I don't work those sports although I see what you're driving at.
Any good-experiened official will agree with you on the football points you made, but none of them address USC. USC is never an "advantage/disadvantage" situation. Do you call USC because you don't want to lose control of the situatuion and becasue you don't want any fights breaking out (both good reasons), or do you call it because it's just plain wrong?

I also understand what Ed is trying to say about relevance. But the problem is that the field is an extenson of the classroom, and no matter what a student's "acceptable" expressions are at home, there are some that aren't acceptable at school (or at a function therof) and teachers/officials must help to form & mold these students/athletes. For instance, "a$$" used to be a common word for a donkey (it's used in the King James Bible even), but now it has a much different conotation and is considered a "bad word". Conversely, if a strict "Bible-belt" student is prohibited from saying "darn" at home, but says it on the field, feeling that he's being rebellious, so be it. The rules of the field/school have to be followed, not home or church or whatever...

I'd be happy to discuss situatuional ethics with ya'll as friends, but not on a football board--we'll save that for the PYSCH department

Once again, let me say this (and you all are proving it by your repsones): Whenever you let something go, no matter how insignificant it may seem at the time, not only are you advocating & allowing it (message to the offender), but you're also conditioning yourself for the future to accept the action as being perfectly OK.

Situation: Jr. high game 2 seasons ago, 3 man crew. Early in the first quarter, HL hears a swear word from a player coming to his sideline and he warns the player that it's not acceptable on the football field. Late 1st quarter, HL hears another word & now warns the coach about his whole team in general. Late 4th quarter after a succesful defensive play, one of those players heading back to the huddle hollors "sh_t!" to no one in particular while walking by an official. U/LJ tosses a flag which moves the home team 15 yards closer to the goal as they try to come back & win the game. Now while I'm not going to argue the case that he should/shouldn't have been flagged in that instance (most of you would probably say no) what I'm trying to get accross to you guys, if nothing else, is if the 1st two instances in the game had not been spoken about (and the appopriate people warned), the 4th quarter flag would have seemed even more ridiculous. Moral: Anytime you have an opporutnity to shape the lives & minds of growing student athletes and you don't do it, you are shirking your reponsibilites as an eduactor & a role model.

I've never given a warning for swearing & had the offender tell me, "but I wasn't saying it toward you or the other team..." These kids are smart--they know it's wrong and they're going to test you on it to see what they can get away with. Like one of the posters here puts in their signature: "if a play (or action) is desgined to fool someone, make sure you aren't the fool"

Guys, please don't try to turn something into gospel just because you believe it and follow it (me included). There's lot's of rules that I don't agree with, but if we start deviating from those, then we just make a mockery of who we are & what we represent. Hey, let's make this our best season ever!

JER

[Edited by jransom on Feb 26th, 2005 at 01:03 PM]