The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

I hope it's not too early to post answers. I got these questions from the October '04 issue of Referee Magazine.

1. K can take the 3 points off the board and accept the penalty, 1/10 at R's 20, they could keep the points and enforce from the succeeding spot or could decline the penalty and take the 3 points.

2. This question was one where you picked the right answers. According to their answers b. and d. were picked. Bob M. hit a. when he said the snapper "must" have his shoulders parallel.

Part c. of this question was one that wasn't picked as an answer according to the article. It says: "The snapper: c. May be contacted immediately after the ball is snapped regardless of the play situation or formation used by team A".

To me, Warrenkicker said it best: "But rule 9-4-5 says "A defensive player may not charge directly into the snapper when the offensive team is in a scrimmage-kick formation." It does not say that the snapper can not be contacted. It says "directly charge into". If an R player is trying to block the kick and he rushes past the snapper and some contact is made would this be a foul? Roughing the snapper is the call when the contact is aimed at or through the snapper but not when the contact is an attempt to get around the snapper and not through him. I say this all comes down to what the definition of "immediately contact" as opposed to "directly charge into". If you determine those are the same then the answer to the initial question is false. But if those have different meanings then the answer is true".

I think the question as asked in the article is true, even though the article didn't indicate c. as a correct choice. Good job everyone!
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
MJT, What rule requires that a placekick holder be 7 yards behind the LOS to receive the snap?

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim S
MJT, What rule requires that a placekick holder be 7 yards behind the LOS to receive the snap?
No rule "requires" it, but to have "snapper protection" the team must have one player 7 yards or more behind the NZ and in position to receive a snap. 2-14-2 That is what I was referring to cuz the question was if the center could be contacted immediately no matter the formation.