The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

You say the coach knew nothing occurred to cause the play to become dead? Your not serious are you?
Every coach knows that a whistle signals that play is over!

How many times have you heard one say that "I teach them to play to the whistle".

He does not have to know what the rule is for inadvertent whistle, the officials know and have to explain it to him.

For him to instruct his player to continue his run of 102 yards is going to get a delay call regardless of his stupidy or ignorance of a rule.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey
You say the coach knew nothing occurred to cause the play to become dead? Your not serious are you?

How many times have you heard one say that "I teach them to play to the whistle".

He does not have to know what the rule is for inadvertent whistle, the officials know and have to explain it to him.

For him to instruct his player to continue his run of 102 yards is going to get a delay call regardless of his stupidy or ignorance of a rule.
I don't know my friend. Seems to me you should be a little more understanding when it was "your stupidity" or incompetence that started the whole thing.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 03:09pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Derock2004
Quote:

I don't know my friend. Seems to me you should be a little more understanding when it was "your stupidity" or incompetence that started the whole thing.
Ah, parents.

I can GUARANTEE you that if the kid ran 102 yards after the whistle, there would be a delay of game penalty, regardless of whether its an inadvertant whistle.

B ball for an untimed down from its 15.

--Rich
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
[i
I don't know my friend. Seems to me you should be a little more understanding when it was "your stupidity" or incompetence that started the whole thing. [/B]
I knew you were a coach. I just knew it
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Derock2004
Quote:
That's BS Derock, and you know it. When the whistle blows, the play is dead. PERIOD. Unfortunately, an IW causes the ball to be dead from time to time. If a player keeps running after a couple of blasts on the whistle, I'm gonna flag it. If you want to talk stupidity, how about the coach for telling the player to keep running even though he knew the play was dead. There's too great of a chance for someone to get hurt in that situation. So if the player got drilled, I bet you'd want a late hit called also. IW's are always unfortunate, but your stupidity doesn't need to make it any worse. There's rules to correct this situation, because it happens. Get over it and move on.
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James Neil
Quote:
Quote:
[i
I knew you were a coach. I just knew it [/B]
Mr Neil, I was wondering when you would show up. I am not a coach and perhaps to your satisfaction, I am no longer an official. I gave it up two years ago but I still enjoy discussing and following the rules to my beloved sport.
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Quote:

Ah, parents.

I can GUARANTEE you that if the kid ran 102 yards after the whistle, there would be a delay of game penalty, regardless of whether its an inadvertant whistle.

B ball for an untimed down from its 15.

--Rich
You know Rich, I don't know about that. You never know, the officials might have tried to pretend liek there was no whistle and since everyone noticed, they called the kid back.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
You know Rich, I don't know about that. You never know, the officials might have tried to pretend liek there was no whistle and since everyone noticed, they called the kid back.
That is possible, but he never said that. Here is what he said:

Quote:
The official immediately blows his whistle and rules a touch back...
[Edited by Patton on Oct 26th, 2004 at 04:35 PM]
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Patton
Quote:
Quote:
That's BS Derock, and you know it. When the whistle blows, the play is dead. PERIOD. Unfortunately, an IW causes the ball to be dead from time to time. If a player keeps running after a couple of blasts on the whistle, I'm gonna flag it. If you want to talk stupidity, how about the coach for telling the player to keep running even though he knew the play was dead. There's too great of a chance for someone to get hurt in that situation. So if the player got drilled, I bet you'd want a late hit called also. IW's are always unfortunate, but your stupidity doesn't need to make it any worse. There's rules to correct this situation, because it happens. Get over it and move on.
Why is your IW "unfortunate" but a coach instructing his player to continue running untouched to the endzone "stupidity"? The way I see it you have "two" cases of stupidity on this play and the initial one is what started it all! Look at it this way, if the IW was a flag against the official then we would have off-setting penalties.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 03:46pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Canadian Ruling

Quote:
This happened today at my son's football game...

Tie ball game, last play of second half (time expired during this play). On 4th and goal from B's 8 yard line, A throws a pass that is intercepted by B in the endzone. The official immediately blows his whistle and rules a touch back but the defender (B) was never tackled and runs untouched 102 yards for a touchdown. What is the call??
IW in a team's possesion - ball is dead there. INT in EZ goes to the 20, B 1D/10.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Derock2004
Quote:
Why is your IW "unfortunate" but a coach instructing his player to continue running untouched to the endzone "stupidity"? The way I see it you have "two" cases of stupidity on this play and the initial one is what started it all! Look at it this way, if the IW was a flag against the official then we would have off-setting penalties.
Think of this situation like having a car accident (the IW) and then leaving the scene of the accident (the run to the endzone). The accident happened and several things may have contributed to it (one of which could have been stupidity), but to leave the scene is just plan stupid. My point is, we're all human and do make mistakes. The official clearly made a mistake, but that doesn't make him stupid. The coach instructing the kid to run even though the whistle has blown is not smart coaching. Wouldn't that be the same as telling the players to just ignore those guys with the striped shirts?

You said you officiated. How long? What level? Have you ever had an IW?
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

Personally, if I hear an IW, (usually sounds like someone shot a bird), then I back it up with my own whistle. Sometimes you see the players and they don't know wether to keep going or to stop. So I always back up an IW with my own and stop the play on the spot.

We had one a couple weeks ago in flag, the ball carrier thought his flags were pulled and called TO, so the WH blew his whistle, then the ball carrier realized he still had his flags, so he runs down the sideline for a TD. Guess what? Your ball where the whistle blew.