The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 23, 2004, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Inadvertent Whistle--Whats the Call

This happened today at my son's football game...

Tie ball game, last play of second half (time expired during this play). On 4th and goal from B's 8 yard line, A throws a pass that is intercepted by B in the endzone. The official immediately blows his whistle and rules a touch back but the defender (B) was never tackled and runs untouched 102 yards for a touchdown. What is the call??
Old Sat Oct 23, 2004, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Why did he run 102 yards after the whistle ? Flag him for delay of game. IW is ignored if Team accepts the penalty. replay an untimed down from the 3yl.
Old Sat Oct 23, 2004, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

If playing under fed rules you will have the dreaded inadvertent whistle.

B has the opportunity to return the ball out of the endzone.

Secondly I am surprised the kids did not stop on the play when the whistle was blown.

With the IW on a loose ball play it will give A the chance for one more play to end the half. Untimed down.
Old Sat Oct 23, 2004, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jjb
Why did he run 102 yards after the whistle ? Flag him for delay of game. IW is ignored if Team accepts the penalty. replay an untimed down from the 3yl.
What? He ran 102 yards because he knew he could advance the ball. You do understand that the ball was intercepted and still live when the IW occurred in the endzone? How does team A get the ball back on the 3 yl???
Old Sat Oct 23, 2004, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BoBo

Secondly I am surprised the kids did not stop on the play when the whistle was blown.

With the IW on a loose ball play it will give A the chance for one more play to end the half. Untimed down.
What is the NFHS rule for inadvertent whistle? I thought it was team last in possession has the option of accepting the result of the play when the whistle was blown or replaying the down. In this case Team B was last in possession so they take the result of the play which gives them the ball on the 20-yard line. The half is extended 1-play (untimed down). Do you agree or am I missing something here?
Old Sat Oct 23, 2004, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

This was an IW on a running play. B (the intercepting team) has the option of replaying the down or taking the result of the play which would be a toucback. If they take the result of the play, the half is over. If there is a flag for delay of game, it would be enforced on the second half kickoff.
Old Sat Oct 23, 2004, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Smiley
This was an IW on a running play. B (the intercepting team) has the option of replaying the down or taking the result of the play which would be a toucback. If they take the result of the play, the half is over. If there is a flag for delay of game, it would be enforced on the second half kickoff.
But Smiley can the half end on a IW or penalty? It seems to me if you don't give Team B another play, then the refs took one from them. Remember, team B would have scored had it not been for the IW?
Old Sat Oct 23, 2004, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Remember, team B would have scored had it not been for the IW?

You will never know if team B would have scored. When the whistle blew, team A players may have stopped. It's not fair to give team B a TD when the whistle may have caused a team A player to stop. IW's are most unfortunate . Also, the team B player should have been stopped by other whistles thereby avoiding a penalty. A gets an untimed down from the 8
Old Sat Oct 23, 2004, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jjb
Remember, team B would have scored had it not been for the IW?

You will never know if team B would have scored. When the whistle blew, team A players may have stopped. It's not fair to give team B a TD when the whistle may have caused a team A player to stop. IW's are most unfortunate . Also, the team B player should have been stopped by other whistles thereby avoiding a penalty. A gets an untimed down from the 8
Ok. I understand you can't give team B a TD but how does team A get an untimed down? Team B was last in possession when the whistle was blown, shouldn't they get the ball on the 20???
Old Sat Oct 23, 2004, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Team B was in possesion of the ball during a running play when the IW occured. They have the option of accepting the play at that spot, or of replaying the down. Rule 4-3-3c
A peoriod must be extended with an untimed down when an IW occurs. Rule 3-3-3c
Therefore, it would be in Team B's best interest to take the play when the IW occured, which results in a touchback, and the perios is extended by an untimed down. Team B's ball 1-10 at their own 20.
Old Sat Oct 23, 2004, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Texoma_LJ
Team B was in possesion of the ball during a running play when the IW occured. They have the option of accepting the play at that spot, or of replaying the down. Rule 4-3-3c
A peoriod must be extended with an untimed down when an IW occurs. Rule 3-3-3c
Therefore, it would be in Team B's best interest to take the play when the IW occured, which results in a touchback, and the perios is extended by an untimed down. Team B's ball 1-10 at their own 20.
Thank you Texoma! I was sure that was the right call. The officials in this game really screwed up. First, the IW. Second, they went straight to overtime without properly addressing the IW. They just told the coaches they made a mistake and were going to over time.
Old Sat Oct 23, 2004, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

I forgot there was a rule change a few years ago. Any time there is an IW, there will be an untimed down, even if the result of the play is taken. B should have had a play from the 20.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BoBo

It wasn't loose. B has possession. B has all the options. B can elect to have the ball go back to A and replay the down or they can simply take the results of the play when the whistle blew (a touchback)

B would likely take the touchback and play an untimed down.

[Edited by mikesears on Oct 25th, 2004 at 09:04 AM]
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

I would have blown the whistle again, louder, if B's player kept running after the first whistle. DeRock - the ball is NOT live after a whistle is blown. If he didn't stop on the 2nd whistle, I'd have definitely given them a DOG.

But in any case, B has the ball, 1st and 10 at the 20 (or 15 after a DOG), for 1 untimed down.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
I would have blown the whistle again, louder, if B's player kept running after the first whistle. DeRock - the ball is NOT live after a whistle is blown. If he didn't stop on the 2nd whistle, I'd have definitely given them a DOG.

But in any case, B has the ball, 1st and 10 at the 20 (or 15 after a DOG), for 1 untimed down.
I guess you're right but the kids and coaches watch too much NFL. The coach waved the kid on to keep running to the endzone for two reasons: 1) The coach knew nothing occurred to cause the play to become dead 2) Did not know what the rule was for inadvertent whistle so to be on the safe side keep running until you cross the goal line and wait to see what the call was. The coach knew he was in the drivers seat on the call but the gray area for him was is the result of the play the touchdown or the touch back?? I think in this situation you have to use your better judgement and NOT call a DOG on top of "your" IW. Your IW already killed a live play that could have resulted in a touchdown and you want to take 5 more yards away from them? I'm sure you would take a lot of heat from the coaches, players, and fans behind that and deservingly so.