The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 30, 2004, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Quote:

So the "extended goal line" would only apply to a runner forced out by a defensive player? Ball went out between the 1 and GL. so you would bring the ball back to the spot where he left the field. Even if the ball hits where the EGL would be and is first to touch the ground.

Thanks
Not exactly. The goal line extended is only in effect for a player who is touching the ground inbounds. There is no requirement for a defender forcing him OB.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Thu Sep 30, 2004, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

ABoselli is correct.

Rule 1-2-4 states: ... When properly placed, the goal line pylon is out of bounds at the intersection of the sideline and the goal line extended.
Old Fri Oct 01, 2004, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Quote:
Originally posted by sm_bbcoach

airborn: inside= TD; front= just short OOB
Airborne - the act of those fools who fall from an airplane at 700 ft AGL, at 2:00 AM, with 150 lbs of gear strapped to him and some knucklehead shooting at him. Upon hitting the ground he proceeds to express his frustration at the army for putting him there, the air force for flying like $h!+ and the bad guys for disturbing a perfectly peaceful evening.

Is commonly referred to as psycho, crazy or just plain stupid.

Strike Hold!

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Sat Oct 02, 2004, 02:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by kdf5
Has anyone read Case Book 1.2.4? "Ball carrier A10 dives into the pylon at the intersection of the goal line and sidelines. RULING: Touchdown. Assuming the pylon was placed properly, the ball broke the plane of the goal line prior to the touching of the pylon".

Where does this fit into this argument?
With a properly positioned pylon the ball would hit the inside or corner of the pylon. Not the front.

Quote:

So, in # 2, if he first touched a hand on the ground at the 1/2yd line, he hit the ball against the front side of the pylon, it would then be a TD? I understand that touching anything out of bounds causes the ball to be out of bounds, but does that mean that the pylon breaks the goal line extended?
The hand is on the ground and thus the player is not truly airborne. TD in this case.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Sun Oct 03, 2004, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
With a properly positioned pylon the ball would hit the inside or corner of the pylon. Not the front.
I am a little confused on the physics of this. I would not think it is that tough to hit the front of the pylon. Of course if my brain is somewhere else please let me know.