The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Well guys it’s time again for UE monthly quiz. I can’t believe it’s April already. My how time flies when you’re having fun.

1. A 4/16 A1. The score is A14-B13. A4's punt is caught by B29 on A's 26 after a valid fair catch signal. During the down, B63 blocked A44 in the back on A's 28 and A74 blocked B95 below the waist on A's 22. Time expired in the fourth quarter during the down.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~

2. A 4/G B48. The score is A28-B28. QB A17's legal forward pass is caught by A82. A82 advances to B's 4 and fumbles. The fumble rolls through B's end zone. B79 roughs the passer. Two seconds remain in the fourth quarter.

3. A 3/G B3. The score is A28-B28 with nine seconds remaining in the fourth quarter. A8's field goal attempt is blocked. A78 recovers on B's 9 and advances to B's 2 where he is downed. The kick does not cross the neutral zone. Three seconds remain on the clock.

4. A 1/10 B12. The ball is on the left hash. QB A12 on B's 19 and throws the ball beyond the neutral zone to an area where no eligible receivers are located. During A12's scramble, A67 held on B's 15.

5. A 2/4 B8. QB A18 hands off to A44 on B's 13. A44 runs to B's 6 near the sideline where B55 hits him causing the ball to come loose. B38 then deflects the bouncing ball and B12 controls the ball while touching the end line.

6. A 3/12 B18. A16's legal forward pass is airborne when B34 grabs A88's jersey on B's 13, thus limiting A88's ability to jump for the pass.

7. A TRY B3. The snap is high after which A4 places and holds the ball for a place kick for A6 who is in position to kick the ball. B96 bats the ball from A4's hand, recovers and advances across A's goal line.

8. A 4/12 A18. A8's punt is caught on B's 47 by B21 who advances to A's 46 and fumbles. A94 recovers on A's 48 while grounded. Team A had six players on the line at the snap. B41 blocked A83 in the back on A's 44 during the punt.

As a side note to my good friend Bob M from last months quiz. There was some debate as to where to spot the ball on the roughing the passer play. As you may recall I tacked on the yardage from the spot of the recovered fumble. My thinking is we give A the benefit of all the legal yards gained for this foul as that seems to be the intent of the exception to this rule. The collective options of the others in my association tend to agree with me.
Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James Neil
6. A 3/12 B18. A16's legal forward pass is airborne when B34 grabs A88's jersey on B's 13, thus limiting A88's ability to jump for the pass.
This seems too easy. DPI Half the distance, auto firstdown. A 1/G B9. Am I missing somthing?
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
This seems too easy. Am I missing somthing? [/B]
Yes you are. Besides the clock status, what about 1,2,3,4,5,7 and 8 ?

Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 03:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Smile

Hey Jimmy, does Dan know you're stealing his tests?

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim S
Hey Jimmy, does Dan know you're stealing his tests?
No Jim he dosn't. And I hope you dont slip and mention it
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

As a side note to my good friend Bob M from last months quiz. There was some debate as to where to spot the ball on the roughing the passer play. As you may recall I tacked on the yardage from the spot of the recovered fumble. My thinking is we give A the benefit of all the legal yards gained for this foul as that seems to be the intent of the exception to this rule. The collective options of the others in my association tend to agree with me.
REPLY: Jim, take a look at the 2003 Case Book, Play 9.4.3 Situation D on page 65. The Federation's collective opinion (for better or worse) disagrees. And there's is the one that counts...unfortunately sometimes.Teethy
I think that the NCAA's interpretation agrees with yours, i.e. that you enforce from the spot of the recovery. But for some strange reason, Fed doesn't.
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Jim, please reread the case you cited. It agrees that the enforcement is at the spot of the fumble, not the recovery. ie. 15yards back from the 19 is the 34, not the 30.

Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, should have said Bob....

Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

To Bob M.

I'll bet you were responding to J.N. not me huh?

Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Re: To Bob M.

Quote:
REPLY: Yeah umpump...it was intended for Jim Neil. Now I'm really confused. I thought that Jim was saying that enforcement should be tacked on from the spot of recovery. I understood, and I think the Fed Case Book play substantiates, that it should be tacked on from the spot of the fumble.
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Bob, that's the way I read Jimmy's message to you also.

Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Jim, please reread the case you cited. It agrees that the enforcement is at the spot of the fumble, not the recovery. ie. 15yards back from the 19 is the 34, not the 30.
Quote:
Sorry, should have said Bob....
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
Quote:
REPLY: Yeah umpump...it was intended for Jim Neil. Now I'm really confused. I thought that Jim was saying that enforcement should be tacked on from the spot of recovery. I understood, and I think the Fed Case Book play substantiates, that it should be tacked on from the spot of the fumble.
Quote:
Bob, that's the way I read Jimmy's message to you also.

LOL... now I’m WHY confused ...LOL...... who’s on first?

(I’ll be back with a serious response when I stop laughing)
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Jimmy, the bottom line is that both Bob and I agree. The correct enforcement spot....BY RULE... is the spot of the fumble.
Now if thefumble is recovered by a player on his feet you start a new run....which may or may not be the last run for this rule purpose

Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

I'll take a stab at these. NCAA rules. Guys, please be gentle

Quote:

1. A 4/16 A1. The score is A14-B13. A4's punt is caught by B29 on A's 26 after a valid fair catch signal. During the down, B63 blocked A44 in the back on A's 28 and A74 blocked B95 below the waist on A's 22. Time expired in the fourth quarter during the down.
>> Either 1) Offset and replay 4th down or 2) B 1/10 @ A38 (PSK spot is A28). Either way, the period is extended and the clock is on the snap.

Quote:
2. A 4/G B48. The score is A28-B28. QB A17's legal forward pass is caught by A82. A82 advances to B's 4 and fumbles. The fumble rolls through B's end zone. B79 roughs the passer. Two seconds remain in the fourth quarter.
>> A 1/G @ B2. Clock on snap as A was awarded a 1st down.

Quote:
3. A 3/G B3. The score is A28-B28 with nine seconds remaining in the fourth quarter. A8's field goal attempt is blocked. A78 recovers on B's 9 and advances to B's 2 where he is downed. The kick does not cross the neutral zone. Three seconds remain on the clock.
>> A 4/G @ B2, ready

Quote:
4. A 1/10 B12. The ball is on the left hash. QB A12 on B's 19 and throws the ball beyond the neutral zone to an area where no eligible receivers are located. During A12's scramble, A67 held on B's 15.
>> A 2/22 @ B24, snap. The holding would be declined and the intentional grounding enforced -5 from the spot & LOD.

Quote:
5. A 2/4 B8. QB A18 hands off to A44 on B's 13. A44 runs to B's 6 near the sideline where B55 hits him causing the ball to come loose. B38 then deflects the bouncing ball and B12 controls the ball while touching the end line.
>> B 1/10 @ B20, snap. Impetus not changed by B's deflection. A responsible for ball in end zone. B12 just helps ball become dead.

Quote:
>> A 1/10 @ B13, snap. DPI is a spot foul in this scenario as foul was <15 yds from LOS and ball was snapped outside the B17 so the rule governing snaps at B17 or inside do not apply.

Quote:
7. A TRY B3. The snap is high after which A4 places and holds the ball for a place kick for A6 who is in position to kick the ball. B96 bats the ball from A4's hand, recovers and advances across A's goal line.
>> 1 point for B scoring a safety on A's try.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~

Quote:
8. A 4/12 A18. A8's punt is caught on B's 47 by B21 who advances to A's 46 and fumbles. A94 recovers on A's 48 while grounded. Team A had six players on the line at the snap. B41 blocked A83 in the back on A's 44 during the punt.
>> A 4/12 @ A18. Offsetting penalties on the play. PSK not in affect because A ends up with possession of ball.

>>>>>>> How badly did I kick these plays??

Old Tue Apr 06, 2004, 06:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well guys it’s time again for UE monthly quiz. I can’t believe it’s April already. My how time flies when you’re having fun.
Can't tell you how much these monthly quizzes are appreciated. It helps keep me focused on the rules. Please keep sharing them, James!

Quote:

NF: B has options. Decline A's penalty. B's penalty is then enforced as a PSK foul (from the A-28). 1/10 for B from the A-38. Accept A's penalty and fouls will be paired as double fouls and down will be replayed. No matter what option B selects, there WILL be an untimed down played.

NCAA: This is my first attempt at trying to answer from the NCAA perspective so please take it easy on me

First go to B. They can accept the penalty for A's foul and both fouls will offset and the down will be replayed with an untimed down. OR they can decline A's foul and then team A has options. Team A can then either accept or decline the penalty for B's foul. If they accept, B will be moved back 10 yards from the PSK spot (A-28) for a 1/10 from A-38 and an untimed down will be played. If they decline, game is over.

Before I go any further, is this correct?