View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 22, 2004, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Ernie
Okay, a question regarding the discussions that are going on here. Don't kill me....I don't have a good handle on NFHS rules...these are legitimate questions.

1. A 4/16 A1. The score is A14-B13. A4's punt is caught by B29 on A's 26 after a valid fair catch signal. During the down, B63 blocked A44 in the back on A's 28 and A74 blocked B95 below the waist on A's 22. Time expired in the fourth quarter during the down.

Everyone seems in agreement that there will be an untimed down no matter what in this play. What am I missing?

Okay, say we go to B and ask if they want to accept the foul for A or decline to keep the ball. B says we want to decline A's foul, because we want the ball. So then, you go to A and see what they want to do with B's foul. Team A, being smart, says we want to decline the foul by B so the game will be over. Can they decline this foul?
The answer is no, thay may not decline B's foul. In fact, when B declines A's foul there are no more options. The penalty for B's foul must be enforced because both cannot be declined. After enforcement for B's foul, it is B's ball at A's 38 yard line for an untimed down.