The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 13, 2017, 07:37am
Official & ***** Member

I can't tell from the video whether the ball broke the GL plane before it came loose. What I *can* tell is that there was a completed pass.

So....if you're the deep wing on that side (or perhaps even the R or BJ), do you go to the covering official and ask him what he saw?
Old Wed Dec 13, 2017, 09:55am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
I can't tell from the video whether the ball broke the GL plane before it came loose. What I *can* tell is that there was a completed pass.

So....if you're the deep wing on that side (or perhaps even the R or BJ), do you go to the covering official and ask him what he saw?
The deep wing is the covering official. GA uses 6 with 2 deep wings.
Old Fri Dec 15, 2017, 07:20am
Official & ***** Member

OK, my bad.

If you're on that crew & had a good look at the reception, would you go to the covering official and ask him what he saw?
Old Fri Dec 15, 2017, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
OK, my bad.

If you're on that crew & had a good look at the reception, would you go to the covering official and ask him what he saw?
Only if his conclusion was different than mine, or he hesitated in making a decision or looked for assistance.
Old Fri Dec 15, 2017, 03:24pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Only if his conclusion was different than mine, or he hesitated in making a decision or looked for assistance.

There is nobody else on this crew that has a good enough view to be 100% sure of a catch that can provide enough to overturn this call.

No way I'm coming in from anywhere other than BJ, which in Georgia's infinite wisdom, doesn't exist on this crew.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old Wed Dec 27, 2017, 05:14am
Official Forum Member

Looks similar to the Jesse James play. In this play I'd have ruled a TD. Receiver has the ball and reaches for the goal line with ball still in control. There is a question of whether the receiver was not in full control of the ball but it would be difficult to see in real time. Once the ball breaks the goal line plane, anything that happens after that is during a dead ball period.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2017, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Might I add too that the pass was completed and that the receiver now becomes a runner who breaks the goal line plane with the ball still in possession. Once the runner breaks that plane, the ball is dead and a TD is scored. If anything, if the covering official ruled that runner did not have complete control of the ball as he broke the plane, then it should have been ruled a fumble and the ruling should have been touchback, team B's ball, 1st and 10 from their 20 yard line.
Closed Thread