The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Catch or no catch (NFHS) (https://forum.officiating.com/football/103224-catch-no-catch-nfhs.html)

voiceoflg Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:06pm

Catch or no catch (NFHS)

Video

I don't have a dog in the fight, and the next NFHS football game I officiate will be my first. Just curious from those who do this every week if you think this was a catch or not. The play starts 20 seconds in and another angle around 30 seconds in.

Thanks.

ajmc Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:25pm

Tough call. The pass was clearly complete and the receiver had possession when he became a runner. After he was hit, however, and BEFORE he contacted the ground, he appeared to lose possession of the ball (on the way down).

From the angle of the camera, you can't tell whether he had broken the plane of the goal line before, or after, he lost possession. Subsequent camera angle showed the wing official in the proper position to make that judgment.

JRutledge Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:32pm

Embedding is your friend

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0qvQQfoyjkw?start=20" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have little issues with the call. Looks to me like he was bobbling the ball the entire part and then tried to dive.

Peace

FormerUmp Mon Dec 11, 2017 01:15pm

I have a touchdown. Clean catch followed by the ball breaking the plane prior to him losing possession. The only debate I could even consider entertaining would be that he was down prior the ball breaking the plane, and I just don't think that's the case.

Rich Mon Dec 11, 2017 02:32pm

Watching the end zone view, it looks like the ball is coming loose before he's down.

I didn't see what Jeff saw, but I don't care enough to go back and watch again.

Rich Mon Dec 11, 2017 04:24pm

Oh, look, they're appealing to the GHSA to overturn the call of incomplete.

Won't happen, you say?

Well, the GHSA decided to overturn a judgment call in a baseball game this past spring despite their own rules.

Precedent Set, Georgia Faces 2nd Judgment Call Protest | Close Call Sports & Umpire Ejection Fantasy League

HLin NC Mon Dec 11, 2017 04:25pm

Been discussed on the NFHS FB page- from end zone view, he tucks ball into his right arm then breaks plane. Anything after that doesn't matter as it was a TD when he broke the plane with possession.

Some have gone back and found where the WR stepped out of bounds further up field but no IP flag was thrown, which would have negated the score anyway so in a perfect world.......

Deep wing was obviously screened out for some of the play by the receivers own body.

ajmc Mon Dec 11, 2017 04:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1012757)
Oh, look, they're appealing to the GHSA to overturn the call of incomplete.

Won't happen, you say?

Well, the GHSA decided to overturn a judgment call in a baseball game this past spring despite their own rules.

Precedent Set, Georgia Faces 2nd Judgment Call Protest | Close Call Sports & Umpire Ejection Fantasy League

Once you open a can of worms, it's really hard to get them all back in the can.

Rich Mon Dec 11, 2017 04:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLin NC (Post 1012758)
Been discussed on the NFHS FB page- from end zone view, he tucks ball into his right arm then breaks plane. Anything after that doesn't matter as it was a TD when he broke the plane with possession.

Some have gone back and found where the WR stepped out of bounds further up field but no IP flag was thrown, which would have negated the score anyway so in a perfect world.......

Deep wing was obviously screened out for some of the play by the receivers own body.

If he was going to the ground as part of completing the catch, I'd make him survive the ground. But in this play the catch was obviously completed well before this and the dive was part of the run, not the catch.

The end zone view doesn't tell me when he actually crosses the plane of the GL, but I'm assuming it's pieced together from other views.

ajmc Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1012765)
If he was going to the ground as part of completing the catch, I'd make him survive the ground.
The end zone view doesn't tell me when he actually crosses the plane of the GL, but I'm assuming it's pieced together from other views.

I don't find anything about, "I'd make him survive the ground" included in NFHS 2-4 that defines a "catch", a long as there is confirmation when, " first contacting the ground (in bounds) while maintaining possession" the requirements for "a catch" have been met, which may well be different that other rule codes.

If in the endzone NFHS 8-2-b establishes it is a TD, and what happens thereafter happens to a dead ball.

Rich Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmc (Post 1012805)
I don't find anything about, "I'd make him survive the ground" included in NFHS 2-4 that defines a "catch", a long as there is confirmation when, " first contacting the ground (in bounds) while maintaining possession" the requirements for "a catch" have been met, which may well be different that other rule codes.

If in the endzone NFHS 8-2-b establishes it is a TD, and what happens thereafter happens to a dead ball.

You can quote what you want till the cows come home, but:

If he's in the process of catching the ball as he's going to the ground and the ball comes out, there's no way I'm ruling it a catch.

ajmc Tue Dec 12, 2017 04:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1012806)
You can quote what you want till the cows come home, but:

If he's in the process of catching the ball as he's going to the ground and the ball comes out, there's no way I'm ruling it a catch.

I run into some coaches who feel the same way, even after explaining the differences to them. The only suggestion I can then offer is, perhaps they should consider coaching at a different level, where they may be more comfortable with rules.

FormerUmp Tue Dec 12, 2017 06:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmc (Post 1012805)

I see "surviving the ground" and "first contacting the ground (in bounds) while maintaining possession" as part of the catch as the same thing. Maybe I'm wrong?

GoodScout Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:56pm

I saw a Hudl film of the play, and also missed was that the receiver stepped out out bounds while running his route. The IP, were it called, would have made any catch irrelevant.

FormerUmp Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodScout (Post 1012822)
I saw a Hudl film of the play, and also missed was that the receiver stepped out out bounds while running his route. The IP, were it called, would have made any catch irrelevant.

I've also read that the officials erred on a couple of fumbles by the losing team that should have been awarded to the winning team, but ended up staying with the losing team. Assuming they truly erred and failed to officiate two turnovers correctly, that could have impacted the game significantly.

Of course none of this should matter because nothing should be changed. The game is over. That should be the end of it. Even if it's not, how do you pick one missed call out of an entire game and only "fix" that one?

Unfortunately they set a precedent earlier this year overturning an umpire's call that ended a playoff baseball game, breaking multiple rules in the process. Things likely won't be quite as simple as they should be.