The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 06, 2016, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Fed goaltending penalty enforcement

This came out in a thread at Coach Huey's. I know that in Federation rules, a player of the receiving team jumping to deflect a field goal attempt, where the jumping occurs in proximity to the goal rather than the neutral zone, is illegal batting, the ball being allowed to stay alive only as long as it still has a chance to score. What I can't figure out is the enforcement. I've pored over the provisions and can't figure out the priorities in resolution between post scrimmage kick and fouls behind the receiving team's goal line. My guess is that it's half the distance from the 20 yard line, team R getting a first down.
Old Sun Nov 06, 2016, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

This is not illegal batting. The result of the play is a touchback. The receivers will get the ball on the 20 yard line. Rule 6-3-1b and 2016 casebook page 47 6-3-1 situation B.
Old Sun Nov 06, 2016, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaghappy View Post
This is not illegal batting. The result of the play is a touchback. The receivers will get the ball on the 20 yard line. Rule 6-3-1b and 2016 casebook page 47 6-3-1 situation B.
Interesting! So the ball's touching the player supersedes the player's batting of the ball, as per 2-44, and the player doesn't have to succeed in deflecting the ball away from the goal.
Old Wed Nov 09, 2016, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

If the ball is deflected away from the goalposts it is considered a dead ball and a touchback. If it is deflected between the goalposts and above the crossbar it is a field goal.
Old Wed Nov 09, 2016, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

meant to say if it is deflected between the uprights and above the crossbar it is a field goal
Old Wed Nov 09, 2016, 02:15pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
That's a good case book find.

I believe this is a difference from NCAA which would regard this as an illegal batting foul.
Old Thu Nov 10, 2016, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If the ball is deflected away from the goalposts it is considered a dead ball and a touchback. If it is deflected between the goalposts and above the crossbar it is a field goal.
Why doesn't 6-3-1(b) produce a touchback no matter the subsequent flight of the ball? What would be the point of the phrase "or in flight touches a K player in R's end zone" in 6-3-1(b) if the touchback weren't automatic? After all, if the ball were deflected away, then the part "after breaking the play of R's goal line is unsuccessful" alone would produce the result you claim.
Old Thu Nov 10, 2016, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
That's a good case book find.

I believe this is a difference from NCAA which would regard this as an illegal batting foul.
Yes, by their 9-4-1(c). 2-11-5 & 6-3-1(b) combine to say this is not "blocking a scrimmage kick" (because of where it occurs relative to the neutral zone) so 9-4-1(b) doesn't apply.

In NFL this is treated as an unfair act. Their provision was adopted ~50 years ago.

So in NFL & NCAA, better go up with both hands, and then you're trying to catch the ball, not bat it, and if you muff it away from the goal in the process, that doesn't appear to be illegal.

In rugby if the ball's still rising as it approaches the bar, I think it's treated in both Union & League as "charging down" or "rebound" of an opponent's kick, and is not a knock-on if the ball is deflected forward (relative to the player doing it). If the ball's descending, then the knock-on laws apply.

In Canadian football, amateur & pro, goaltending like this is not illegal, but if the ball is deflected forward to an offside teammate I think it's an offside pass.
Old Thu Nov 10, 2016, 02:38pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Why doesn't 6-3-1(b) produce a touchback no matter the subsequent flight of the ball?
Because that's the Federation interpretation. I'm not trying to be flip but that's pretty much what we have to go on.
Old Thu Nov 10, 2016, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Because that's the Federation interpretation. I'm not trying to be flip but that's pretty much what we have to go on.
You mean the Case Book? Would you mind quoting from it, please? (Always interesting to find a contradiction between it & the actual rules.)
Old Thu Nov 10, 2016, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Casebook: During a field-goal attempt,R1,who is in the end zone,leaps up and blocks the ball away from the crossbar. Ruling: touchback. The touching by R1 in the end zone causes the ball to become dead, unless the ball caroms through the goal, thus scoring a field goal. This is not illegal batting, as the touching caused the kick to fail.

6-3-1 It is a touchback if any free kick or scrimmage kick:

b. Which is a three-point field-goal attempt, in flight touches a K player in R's end zone, or after breaking the plane of R's goal line is unsuccessful.
Old Fri Nov 11, 2016, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Thanks, flaghappy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaghappy
Casebook: During a field-goal attempt,R1,who is in the end zone,leaps up and blocks the ball away from the crossbar. Ruling: touchback. The touching by R1 in the end zone causes the ball to become dead, unless the ball caroms through the goal, thus scoring a field goal. This is not illegal batting, as the touching caused the kick to fail.

6-3-1 It is a touchback if any free kick or scrimmage kick:

b. Which is a three-point field-goal attempt, in flight touches a K player in R's end zone, or after breaking the plane of R's goal line is unsuccessful.
Wow. So they just interpolated the bit I bolded, and nullified the bit I underlined. Probably they thought, "It makes no sense to reward the defender for merely touching the ball (which could be a difficult event to see anyway), so the rules committee must not have meant to do so."

But why'd they write "the touching caused the kick to fail", when in this interpretation, it didn't? Maybe the Case Book, as long as this interpretation is asserted, meant to say, "the deflection of the ball away from the goal caused the kick to fail". Or maybe should've just left that clause out, because it weakens their assertion.
Old Fri Nov 11, 2016, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Thanks, flaghappy.

Wow. So they just interpolated the bit I bolded, and nullified the bit I underlined. Probably they thought, "It makes no sense to reward the defender for merely touching the ball (which could be a difficult event to see anyway), so the rules committee must not have meant to do so."

But why'd they write "the touching caused the kick to fail", when in this interpretation, it didn't? Maybe the Case Book, as long as this interpretation is asserted, meant to say, "the deflection of the ball away from the goal caused the kick to fail". Or maybe should've just left that clause out, because it weakens their assertion.
Robert, I believe the difference is in who touches the ball in the EZ. If K touches it it is unsuccessful FG. (Possible reasoning: K can't help their own kick get through the uprights.) But if R touches it then it can score a field goal. Possible Reasoning: R should have left it alone and it wouldn't have gone through the uprights ;-)
Old Sat Nov 12, 2016, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehat View Post
Robert, I believe the difference is in who touches the ball in the EZ. If K touches it it is unsuccessful FG. (Possible reasoning: K can't help their own kick get through the uprights.) But if R touches it then it can score a field goal. Possible Reasoning: R should have left it alone and it wouldn't have gone through the uprights ;-)
But everybody realizes that. Yet this particular rule provision specifically applies to touches by players of R, and the case book specifically contradicts it. No mention of touches by K in that context. You think it was a typo?
Old Sat Nov 12, 2016, 09:15pm
Chain of Fools

Cool

Ever see a dog chase it's tail?