The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 15, 2015, 11:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
In conjunction with the nonsense that was happening earlier (and then confirmed by the T early in the fourth Q) you don't think there was an element of unsporting behavior that needed to be nipped in the bud? FWIW I'm not married to the idea of a T here...

Do you think it was a non-basketball play?
It's a live ball contact foul. By rule it cannot be a technical foul.
Old Thu Jul 16, 2015, 03:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It's a live ball contact foul. By rule it cannot be a technical foul.
Unless you also rule there was an unsporting act in conjunction with the contact. It is always possible to violate more than one rule at a time.
Old Thu Jul 16, 2015, 07:12am
Get away from me, Steve.

I think that's a stretch. Otherwise, every time someone commits an intentional foul we'd be having this discussion. That two handed push in the back? Well, it all started with an unsportsmanlike decision / act. Doesn't mean a technical foul is the right choice in that situation, either.
Old Thu Jul 16, 2015, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
It is always possible to violate more than one rule at a time.
Yup, just ask my wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I think that's a stretch. Otherwise, every time someone commits an intentional foul we'd be having this discussion. That two handed push in the back? Well, it all started with an unsportsmanlike decision / act. Doesn't mean a technical foul is the right choice in that situation, either.
Like I wrote, I'm not married to the idea of a technical foul here. Where I get hung up, however, is the non-basketball element of trying to trip someone as he goes by. Part of the hang-up: I could envision a coach arguing that "he was reaching for the ball."
Old Thu Jul 16, 2015, 02:37pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
Yup, just ask my wife.

Like I wrote, I'm not married to the idea of a technical foul here. Where I get hung up, however, is the non-basketball element of trying to trip someone as he goes by. Part of the hang-up: I could envision a coach arguing that "he was reaching for the ball."
Common, intentional, or flagrant are your choices. Technical foul is not an option for NFHS or NCAA games.
Old Thu Jul 16, 2015, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Common, intentional, or flagrant are your choices. Technical foul is not an option for NFHS or NCAA games.
Yep, got it. Thanks for helping me sort it out. I think 2-8-1 and 4-19-14 (the noncontact part makes it clear now) were throwing me off.
Old Thu Jul 16, 2015, 05:55pm
C'mon man!!

How did you like the foul/blocked shot at 27:05?
Old Thu Jul 16, 2015, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
I like the call. Looked like the kid nearly took the shooter's arm off at the elbow.
Old Thu Jul 16, 2015, 11:02pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Yes the trail should hold his whistle
Correct.

Quote:
I don't think there is anything wrong with the trail having a whistle
Wrong.

Quote:
but just hold the signal to see what the lead has so we don't have conflicting signals
Certainly, this is standard for all double whistles.

Quote:
there's no way I'm giving it up without knowing for certain my partner has picked it up
It's in his primary. Do you not trust him to referee his primary, especially a strong-side drive to the basket (going away from you) with secondary defenders right in front of him??

Quote:
He may be officiating post play and not pick it up clean.
What post play? This is a drive to the bucket right in his lap, I'd wager he's not refereeing post play.

Quote:
I'm staying with the drive, especially when it's into the lane.
Which is totally fine, but you need to know what you as Trail have responsibility to referee and what your partner has to pick up. In this play Trail has the guy who gets beat off the dribble and BI/goaltending and that's it. As Trail you blew on a secondary defender block/charge situation. That is 100% Lead's call, and in two or three person there should be no way Trail ever has a whistle on that play. If Trail would have a whistle it would have to be for a hit on the drive prior to the block/charge.

I hear old dudes all the time pregame "if the drive starts in your primary you've got it all the way to the basket". This is old thinking and frankly just wrong by how we do things today.
Old Thu Jul 16, 2015, 11:05pm
AremRed

Quote:
Easy block. Ball first, rest is incidental. Consider which direction the ball went.
Old Thu Jul 16, 2015, 11:11pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
I like the call. Looked like the kid nearly took the shooter's arm off at the elbow.
He didn't come close to the elbow. He blocked the ball up top and the ball went directly OOB.

So you have not only an incorrect call, but an IC against the team that is losing by 16 points, and puts a 4th foul on their leading scorer. At the college level the official would be getting a phone call by the time he reached his driveway.
Old Fri Jul 17, 2015, 01:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
This is a blocked shot IMO...look at the hand level of the defender to the ball...it's at the level of the ball....this is a big giveaway that the defender gets to the ball legally. If he gets the arm at the elbow like you're suggesting, his hand would be nowhere close to the ball.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Jul 17, 2015, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
He didn't come close to the elbow. He blocked the ball up top and the ball went directly OOB.

So you have not only an incorrect call, but an IC against the team that is losing by 16 points, and puts a 4th foul on their leading scorer. At the college level the official would be getting a phone call by the time he reached his driveway.
+1. Didn't see the whole play. It was sort of like, "start, develop, fi...boop." Anticipated the call.
Old Fri Jul 17, 2015, 10:24am
NFHS Official

Quote:
I know why this was called a foul. Lets just leave it alone, please.
Old Fri Jul 17, 2015, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Correct.

I hear old dudes all the time pregame "if the drive starts in your primary you've got it all the way to the basket". This is old thinking and frankly just wrong by how we do things today.
Well, we old dudes say that here but what we mean by that is actually what you describe above....the T has the primary defender all the way in to the shot. It is NOT referring to secondary defenders. It is to contrast with the old way of thinking where it was 100% the leads for all defenders once it enters the lane.