The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 29, 2015, 02:08pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
The fact that he worked instead of you tells me all I need to know about this guy.
This. If this is his response to one of his mistakes for a meaningless summer game, imagine how well he'd look out for you with a real serious game or issue on the line. A real crap move on his part... avoid him if ya can in the future. If you can't avoid him, file it away for future use if he ever needs a favor or help out of a jam.
Old Fri May 29, 2015, 02:12pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
The fact that he worked instead of you tells me all I need to know about this guy.
Agreed. I think it would have been classier to own up and bow out.
Old Fri May 29, 2015, 03:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef View Post
No way would I push back. Accept his word that he will take care of you. But I also would be looking for other assignors who may be more organized and who may have had the class to recognize their mistake and give up their fee so you could work the games you were assigned.
This. One hundred times this. But I've got a feeling I wouldn't be available for him later in the summer. He's shown that his word is meaningless.
Old Fri May 29, 2015, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

An update

First, I appreciate and respect all your comments.

I got an email from him this morning--apologizing again for his mess up--and offering me three games next Thursday. (he's basically assigning on the fly)

As easy as it would be to say no, he is on the same college staff as me--and our college assignor is the one who sent off an email blast saying to contact him to work this league.

Long story short, if I wasn't trying to meet the officiating community around here, I wouldn't bother taking the games...and I may not in the future...but for a one shot deal (and a good way to get ready for camp), I figured there was no harm in running away from him just yet.
Old Fri May 29, 2015, 05:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt S. View Post

I got an email from him this morning--apologizing again for his mess up--and offering me three games next Thursday. (he's basically assigning on the fly)

As easy as it would be to say no, he is on the same college staff as me--and our college assignor is the one who sent off an email blast saying to contact him to work this league.

Long story short, if I wasn't trying to meet the officiating community around here, I wouldn't bother taking the games...and I may not in the future...but for a one shot deal (and a good way to get ready for camp), I figured there was no harm in running away from him just yet.
When I moved to a new city a few years ago, I took all the games I could get for the same reason. I eventually dropped a couple of assigners. You eventually figure out which BS you need to put up with, and which BS you can part with.
Old Fri May 29, 2015, 07:00pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Absolutely. He should've done the right thing and rectified his screw up by taking himself off of the game.
Old Fri May 29, 2015, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
the only summer games I work are camp or games assigned by an actual coordinator
This, plus they have to almost threaten me before I work them.

But I'm pretty content and not trying to get evaluator gigs at these camps like many guys.
Old Sat May 30, 2015, 09:52am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:

Sounds like you are handling things quite well. Work these games for this guy and build your reputation in the area as a hard-working, got-their-backs kind of an official and just let this one go away. The guy screwed up (twice) but you making a stink about it would really do you no good. Once you are "established" in the area, then you can be a little more choosy.
Old Sat May 30, 2015, 02:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Sounds like you are handling things quite well. Work these games for this guy and build your reputation in the area as a hard-working, got-their-backs kind of an official and just let this one go away. The guy screwed up (twice) but you making a stink about it would really do you no good. Once you are "established" in the area, then you can be a little more choosy.
Excellent advice. Handling this stuff professionally is important.
Old Sat May 30, 2015, 10:29pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
It sounds to me like he's trying to make amends. Saying "no" only risks creating hard feelings. No-one needs that.
Old Sun May 31, 2015, 12:32am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

The good political thing is to work the games he gave you. It really makes no sense to keep a grudge over something he quickly is apologizing for. And he sounds more like a fellow official, not just some big time assignor. These guys make mistakes from time to time. Again, chalk it up to the game and move on with your life.

Peace
Old Mon Jun 01, 2015, 11:19am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
It sounds to me like he's trying to make amends. Saying "no" only risks creating hard feelings. No-one needs that.
Maybe, but IMO he's doing it wrong.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2015, 12:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Then what should he do Adam?

Peace
Old Mon Jun 01, 2015, 01:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Then what should he do Adam?

Peace
Note that none of this is what the OP should require. I agree that what the assigner is doing is sufficient. But let's be clear, all he's doing is apologizing. I have never understood why the promise of future games is considered some sort of peace offering. Would he not have gotten those games otherwise? Are they somehow better than the games he would have gotten otherwise?

The fact is the OP lost money that day.

What should the assigner have done after it was too late to let the OP work? Offer to pay him for one of the games he showed up for? If we show up to a game and the game gets cancelled, the school pays us anyway. If we show up to a game and the assigner cancels (due to too many officials), the assigner should pay.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2015, 01:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Note that none of this is what the OP should require. I agree that what the assigner is doing is sufficient. But let's be clear, all he's doing is apologizing. I have never understood why the promise of future games is considered some sort of peace offering. Would he not have gotten those games otherwise? Are they somehow better than the games he would have gotten otherwise?

The fact is the OP lost money that day.

What should the assigner have done after it was too late to let the OP work? Offer to pay him for one of the games he showed up for? If we show up to a game and the game gets cancelled, the school pays us anyway. If we show up to a game and the assigner cancels (due to too many officials), the assigner should pay.
Well I do not expect the assignor to pay any money if he sent you away. Also future games might be a way you might get something you would not have normally received. But I get your perspective, I just think that all the guy can do at this time is offer him something. If he doesn't follow through, then you know what he really is about. Maybe at the time like many of us we think we are doing the right thing and after looking at the situation with some distance, we make it right. We have all been there. I guess time will tell.

Peace