The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 28, 2015, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Too many show up...including assigner!

This is a career (16 years) first:

I show up to ref a pair of college summer league games, and in walk three other officials...including the man who assigns the league. He tells me, 'you know you're not supposed to be here.' I show him his email to me, he apologizes after realizing he messed up, tells me 'he'll take care of me later this summer,' and proceeds to work the games.

It's only 2 games, it's just $40, and I live close by, but it just felt lousy. Would any of you pushed back? I'm new to the area and certainly don't want to burn any bridges.
Old Thu May 28, 2015, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure how I'd sit on this one.Did you have to ask for time off work from your regular job to work this league only to have your assignor take your spot? Then I'd be a little miffed even if I did live nearby.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Thu May 28, 2015, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

No way would I push back. Accept his word that he will take care of you. But I also would be looking for other assignors who may be more organized and who may have had the class to recognize their mistake and give up their fee so you could work the games you were assigned.
Old Thu May 28, 2015, 09:48pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt S. View Post
This is a career (16 years) first:

I show up to ref a pair of college summer league games, and in walk three other officials...including the man who assigns the league. He tells me, 'you know you're not supposed to be here.' I show him his email to me, he apologizes after realizing he messed up, tells me 'he'll take care of me later this summer,' and proceeds to work the games.

It's only 2 games, it's just $40, and I live close by, but it just felt lousy. Would any of you pushed back? I'm new to the area and certainly don't want to burn any bridges.
The fact that he worked instead of you tells me all I need to know about this guy.

What else does he assign basketball-wise in the area?
Old Thu May 28, 2015, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's only 2 games, it's just $40 ...
I know it's just summer ball and likely running time for the most part, but that seems CRAZY LOW for an adult league ... for anything, really.

But no, being new to the area, I wouldn't have pushed back either.
Old Thu May 28, 2015, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
I know it's just summer ball and likely running time for the most part, but that seems CRAZY LOW for an adult league ... for anything, really.

But no, being new to the area, I wouldn't have pushed back either.
Well, it is 3-person, so if they budget $60/game, that's in line with what I've seen in other areas.

To my knowledge, this is all he assigns...I know he does not assign any of the regular season college ball here, so I'm not too worried...just mildly annoyed, especially as a new guy here.
Old Fri May 29, 2015, 01:41am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
The fact that he worked instead of you tells me all I need to know about this guy.
Yup.
Old Fri May 29, 2015, 03:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, it is 3-person, so if they budget $60/game, that's in line with what I've seen in other areas.

To my knowledge, this is all he assigns...I know he does not assign any of the regular season college ball here, so I'm not too worried...just mildly annoyed, especially as a new guy here.
I believe that you now know the reason that this summerball is all that he assigns. I would not work for him in the future.
Old Fri May 29, 2015, 09:32am
Get away from me, Steve.

The $40 in his pocket was worth more than your opinion of him.

Me? I'd let you work and watch / observe you.

Run, don't walk.
Old Fri May 29, 2015, 09:47am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post

What else does he assign basketball-wise in the area?

BNR:

I agree with you 100%. As the assigner he should have honored his email and gone home.

I don't know the assigner can take care of him later in the season because any games he assigns to Matt S. would have been assigned to him anyway. I hope everybody understands my reasoning. The fact that Matt S. has a copy of the email means the email is a contract and Matt S. could force the issue about being paid for the games no matter how many more games the assigner gives him the rest of the Summer.

Furthermore, if the assigner was contracted, then email could be interpreted as a contract between Matt S. and the league could press the issue with the league to be paid by the league.

Either way the assigner is a real piece of work.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri May 29, 2015, 09:56am
Do not give a damn!!

Chalk it up to the "game." There are always people that do not have the right values or the same values others have. I would just make a mental note of this, go home and the next time this guy wanted my help, I would not be as available to that assignor. Now unless that person is a major assignor or your main assignor that might be another issue, but around here I would be "on to the next."

Peace
Old Fri May 29, 2015, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The $40 in his pocket was worth more than your opinion of him.

Me? I'd let you work and watch / observe you.

Run, don't walk.
This would have been a wonderful resolution. And giving up $20/game in the future doesn't seem a great sacrifice, to me.
Old Fri May 29, 2015, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Maybe it is because I have no desire to work anything more than HS ball (I started too late anyway). Maybe it is because a summer/rec assignor can have virtually no impact on my HS schedule. Maybe it is because I am in my late 50's and don't give a rat's patoot. Maybe it is a mix of all three.

After showing him the email and being told that I would have told him "Either you honor the assignment you gave me tonight or don't bother giving me games in the future because taking the game away now just proves the kind of professional you are."

But then...that's just me.
Old Fri May 29, 2015, 11:07am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
Maybe it is because I have no desire to work anything more than HS ball (I started too late anyway). Maybe it is because a summer/rec assignor can have virtually no impact on my HS schedule. Maybe it is because I am in my late 50's and don't give a rat's patoot. Maybe it is a mix of all three.

After showing him the email and being told that I would have told him "Either you honor the assignment you gave me tonight or don't bother giving me games in the future because taking the game away now just proves the kind of professional you are."

But then...that's just me.

My sentiments exactly.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri May 29, 2015, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know where you're at in your career or what your aspirations are. With that said, the only summer games I work are camp or games assigned by an actual coordinator of officials (or a well-respected confidant of an actual coordinator of officials).

I doubt the guy you encountered meets this requirement. You learned that he is unorganized, unprofessional, and rude.

If this happened to me, I'd go home and look at how many more games this summer I have assigned by him. If it's a small amount, I'd probably finish the season out and try not to ruffle any feathers (especially since you have just moved to the area). I would block all other dates and decline any future assignments from him. If I have more than a handful of games, I'm turning them all back and asking to be removed from his group outright. Again, it depends on your aspirations and the local politics, but I don't see much good from working these games.

If you are new to the area, you need to find the assignor for the level you are qualified to work. Whether it is high school, small college, etc. find the assignor and ask what you have to do to get on staff. Work those games and get seen by the right people. The guy you encountered, I can assure you, is not the right person.