The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 12, 2015, 06:08am
Get away from me, Steve.

The key thing is to expect some growing pains with it. The temptation is to give up after a year or two, especially if there's a high profile mistake or issue.

Eventually leagues will start wondering what they would do if only 2 officials show up.

The state, IMO, is making a mistake. You start year one by using 3 in your most high-profile events and use people you are confident won't screw up.

Even in Wisconsin there are still conferences hiring 2 and mine will only use 3 full-time starting next year (although I allowed crews to split 2 checks this past year with no permission required). The state has been using 3 at the state tournaments since 2008 and through the entire postseason for 3 years now.
Old Tue May 12, 2015, 11:02am
Esteemed Participant

Rich...When Washington went to 3-person mechanics, they implemented it at the State level the first year. All State tournament games were 3, and you had to be certified by the WOA in 3-person mechanics in order to work those games. The local associations were free to assign 2 or 3 to their games during the season. After 2 (I think) years, all Varsity level games had to be 3-person games. It worked well for our State to start at the top and work down.
Old Tue May 12, 2015, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The key thing is to expect some growing pains with it. The temptation is to give up after a year or two, especially if there's a high profile mistake or issue.
There were a couple of high profile mistakes (one discussed in this forum) that were probably the catalyst for moving forward now. 3-person had been under discussion but the transition was more like 2-3 years away, then it happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The state, IMO, is making a mistake. You start year one by using 3 in your most high-profile events and use people you are confident won't screw up.
It may well be use in one of the highest profile events in the state...a mid-season tournament with several nationally ranked teams and only top officials, most of which are comfortable in 3-person.

I suspect it will be at the state tournaments very soon.

My guess, is that mostly only our top classifications will elect to use it this year (6A and maybe 5A) and the smaller classes will generally not. If we had to provide it for all varsity games, we don't have enough officials to do that unless the schools change the way they schedule games.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue May 12, 2015 at 11:17am.