The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 20, 2008, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

1-Person Mechanics

1-person mechanic recommendations from the Kansas HS Athletic Association (KSHSAA) basketball area supervisors are listed at the end of this posting.

1-person mechanics are or particular interest to me since I am a co-assignor for Philadelphia public middle school basketball games. Unfortunately a majority of those game use 1 official as well as a substantial number of Philadelphia public league sub-varsity games. Middle school use is largely by district choice and sub-varsity use is historically a matter of necessity because of problems obtaining officials for the 3pm tip-offs.

I mostly agree with the KSHSAA recommendations with the exception of positioning of the official for the last free throw. They recommend baseline, while free-throw line extended seems better to cover a transition going the other way.

Also I would add an emphasis on the need for hustle and greater physical effort. A 1-person official covers more area than a 2-person official who covers more area than a 3-person official. Accordingly, I expect the sweat output to increase.

Any other thoughts or interesting 1-person experiences?

KHSAA BASKETBALL AREA SUPERVISORS

RECOMMENDATIONS

ONE-PERSON OFICIATING MECHANICS

For those who officiate long enough, the inevitable will occur, i.e. your partner will get hurt or not show for a scheduled contest leaving you as a '1 person crew'. Guidelines and/or suggestions to how KSHSAA registered officials might best cope with thgis situation follow.

1. KSHSAA Official's Directory: Athletic directors, school administrator and, yes, other Kansas registered officials have access to the KSHSAA Officials Directory ... a quock check of registered individuals who live in close proximity to the site might ebable a quick replacement.

2. If no registered officials are available, do not accept an offer for a parent or other untrained, non registered official to assist; liability, as well as competency and fairness concerns could be involved.

3. For non-varsity competition, previously registered officials with whom an administrator or either coach is personally familiar could be temporarily approved by representatives from the opposing schools.

4. In Kansas, should a replacement registered official not be available, the official shall work the game as a '1 person crew', following the guidelines below.

1. Have a pre-game meeting with the coaches, explaining your partner has not shown (or is injured) and ou will be officiating the gaame alone.

2. Request coaches cooperation, express advance appreciation for them assisting you in keeping themselves and the gamne under control.

3. In the pre-game meeting with captains, explain you will appreciate and expect the cooperation from the ten players on the floor.

4. Advise game administration of your requests of coaches & players. The cooperation of spectators should also be expected! The game is being played for the benefit of young people; your best efforts will ensure a consistently and fairly officiated game.

SUGGESTED MECHANICS

1. The best position from which to work is probably from Free Throw line extended to Free Throw line extended, opposite the scorer's table.

2. As the ball goes toward the opposite sideline, you will have to move off the sideline toward the center of the floor.

3. Out-of-bounds After designating the spot and the player is there, move a short distance away and bounce the ball (like a free throw) to the player for the throw-in.

4. Avoid getting caught on the baseline. While sometimes necessry to cover a player near it, the "seeing through" principle may offer better total officiating positioning.

5. Have players assist you on out-of-bounds calls. If you're not sure who touched the ball last, observe reactions of the players. If still not sure, ask who touched it last. Any disagreement results in the alternating-possession arrow deciding.
    No dialogue / discussion/ disagreement ... Put the
    ball in play.

6. Free Throws: Administer both from the baseline position. Notice initial placement of feet with the shooter, but then focus attention on the non-shooters, particularly when a miss/rebound occurs.

7. Reporting Fouls: "Cheat" a little bit on the reporting position. By remaining in the middle of the floor (approximately the center circle), your peripehral vision should enable you to observe the players.

8. Three Point Shots: Admittedly one person will not be able to see everything so, DO NOT GUESS!!! See it, blow it! Remember, if one person "could" work a game as effectively as two (or three), then why would administrators, coaches and league commissioners be demanding more?

9. Coaches must control their emotions! Do not argue with them or let them put you in a position where you feel guilty about not being able to see everything. Do the best you can do; it's not your fault that this undesirable situation exists.

10. Remember the "Attributes of an A Official"

• ATTITUDE

• APPEARANCE

• ACTIONS

• ABILITY

• Commitment

• Character

• Calm & Composed

• Controls emotions

• Consistent

• Clean & Crisp

• Conscientious

• Confident, not Cocky

• Communicates

• Concentrates ... Covers

• Courage to make Correct Call

11. Maintain your sense of humor and composure. Some interaction with players and coaches will work to your advantage. From childhood memories, remember that ... approached properly ... people will almost always be willing to assist.

12. Remember, you are the best official on the floor, albeit the only one. While you may feel a call was missed, you will not be evaluated against another official.

13. Compensation: Some athletic administrators and/or principals will offer you the absent partner's compensation; others will not. You contracted for a specified amount and, while working by yourself you feel like extra pay is deserved, if not offered, be gracious for the amount paid.

14. If 'foul-ups' in scheduling, or an administrator / commissioner only assignor one person, please advise the KSHSAA of this by submitting the "Official's Report of Unusual Situations".

An injury to a partner necessitating the '1 person crew' would not require a report.

Relax ... "Except for the calls you make", no one will expect you to be perfect.   

Old Sun Apr 20, 2008, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
thats pretty neat ... wish other states would just automatically put that out.
Old Sun Apr 20, 2008, 04:38pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

Have to disagree with number 11:

"Maintain your sense of humor and composure."

You should never display a sense of humor on the court. Officials should be serious at all times. Humor has absolutely no place out there. We're officials, not comedians.
Old Sun Apr 20, 2008, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Have to disagree with number 11:

"Maintain your sense of humor and composure."

You should never display a sense of humor on the court. Officials should be serious at all times. Humor has absolutely no place out there. We're officials, not comedians.
You can have a sense of humor while not playing the fool.
Old Sun Apr 20, 2008, 07:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Yeah, Sure ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Pot, meet kettle.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

#3..It has been suggested in our area to administer all throw-ins (except after a made basket), from the sideline going no lower than free throw line extended. Administering throw-ins from the baseline just puts the referee in tough position in case of a quick steal.

#6...administer free throws from trail position...can see the free thrower's feet, and most rebounding action. Also, as above, in the event of a quick transition, you're not behind everybody.

and, in general, our guideline is top of the key to top of the key.
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 03:41am
Official Forum Member

Can you imagine? having a pre-game with yourself? cheers
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Having been registered with the KSHSAA for 8 years now I've never seen a publication about a "1 man crew", and I pay decently close attention to what KSHSAA puts out. Not that I disagree with what was said about working in a 1 man crew, I'd just take this with a grain of salt in regards to being endorsed by KSHSAA.
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Pre-game meeting with the coaches...

"Good afternoon coaches! My partner is not here so I'll be officiating this one all by myself. If we have any other absences, such as the scorebook or the clock operator, I would be more than happy to fill those positions as well. In case of one of you being ejected, I'm sure that I can become ignorant to all the rules and yell at myself as needed. Thanks, lets have a great game!"

I could see doing a 1-man crew for a junior high game but any other game would be pretty much impossible. Who is going to ask the players who touched it last, seriously? I would be embarrassed to ask such a thing from a player. Maybe that's just me and my stinking pride getting in the way though. Interesting article wanja

-Josh
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 02:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have a question. What is the Kansas High School Athletic Association going to do to officials that do not want to follow these mechanics?

I think the effort to put something out there is great, but unless these are scheduled all the time or on purpose, who cares what they say? Honestly, when I work one man, I do whatever I have to do to cover the play. I do not limit my movement to a set standard when you are not supposed to be in that situation in the first place.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I have a question. What is the Kansas High School Athletic Association going to do to officials that do not want to follow these mechanics?

I think the effort to put something out there is great, but unless these are scheduled all the time or on purpose, who cares what they say? Honestly, when I work one man, I do whatever I have to do to cover the play. I do not limit my movement to a set standard when you are not supposed to be in that situation in the first place.

Peace
Absolutely, do what you have to do to cover the play. But I think it's good to publish a set of guidelines for officials who might not know how to do that right off the bat. Not everybody has 20 years of experience to draw on.
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk jhawk
Having been registered with the KSHSAA for 8 years now I've never seen a publication about a "1 man crew", and I pay decently close attention to what KSHSAA puts out. Not that I disagree with what was said about working in a 1 man crew, I'd just take this with a grain of salt in regards to being endorsed by KSHSAA.
Here is a link to the original source.

http://topekaofficials.com/PDF%20Fil...0Mechanics.pdf

The recommendations are well thought out, likely to be useful to some officials and therefore worth sharing.