The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 10, 2015, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Looks like Oregon is finally adopting 3 person mechanics...sort of...

Received an email tonight from our officials association and 3 man mechanics were finally approved. Caveat being certain leagues can choose or not to choose to elect 3 man. Games are assigned via association commissioners so there will probably be, IMO, a lot of alternating between 2 man and 3 man mechanics/crews next year.

Fees are at 80% of the normal 2 man varsity rate, but playoffs next year will continue to remain 2 man.

I'm looking forward to it and it's certainly long overdue!
Old Sun May 10, 2015, 10:30pm
AremRed

Regular season 3-person but post-season 2-person? That won't last long.
Old Sun May 10, 2015, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed....and I'm wondering if the reason for that is some of the smaller associations won't have the experience/numbers to run 3 man a ton and they don't want their first experience in 3 man to be in the tournaments.
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 01:06am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrStBballRef View Post
Agreed....and I'm wondering if the reason for that is some of the smaller associations won't have the experience/numbers to run 3 man a ton and they don't want their first experience in 3 man to be in the tournaments.
As someone who has firsthand experience screwing up in my first 3-person game, I understand the feeling.
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrStBballRef View Post
Part of that, as I've been told, is that the coaches want to know exactly what they'll be getting at the tournament and to be properly prepared for it. There was one coach that want's his league to do whatever the state does for post-season. He doesn't care either way, just that it matches.

His motivation was that he doesn't want the change in officials to alter the balance between the teams....that it will make some "illegal" plays more or less likely to be caught against him or his opponents. Some coaches design plays to set marginal screens away from the officials knowing they will not likely be caught in 2-person. With 3-person, he'll have to take some of those out of his playbook for league play and his team will not be comfortable with running them in the playoffs where the other team, whose league may have used to 2 person, may have such plays.
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Part of that, as I've been told, is that the coaches want to know exactly what they'll be getting at the tournament and to be properly prepared for it. There was one coach that want's his league to do whatever the state does for post-season. He doesn't care either way, just that it matches.

His motivation was that he doesn't want the change in officials to alter the balance between the teams....that it will make some "illegal" plays more or less likely to be caught against him or his opponents. Some coaches design plays to set marginal screens away from the officials knowing they will not likely be caught in 2-person. With 3-person, he'll have to take some of those out of his playbook for league play and his team will not be comfortable with running them in the playoffs where the other team, whose league may have used to 2 person, may have such plays.
A big worry when I'm doing 2-man (which I do a lot) is that we're going to get a competitive matchup up high with the ball and a competitive matchup in the strong side post while some kid is going to lose teeth or get concussed on a bad stagger or flare screen somewhere high or in the deep corner on the weakside. That my crew is just going to miss.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 01:17pm
This IS My Social Life

Transition from Two- to Three-

Quote:
...marginal screens.... With 3-person, he'll have to take some of those out of his playbook for league play...
Will your local associations step up to provide the necessary training in 3-person mechanics so that you don't end up with nothing more than three voracious ballwatchers on each crew?
Some veterans in some areas have been doing 3-person since the switch years ago, but due either to a lack of training or because of their resistance to plug into the training offered, they're still totally clueless regarding PCA's, coverages, secondaries, etc. There's still, as made fun of below, six eyes on the ball at all times.
It's the bane of all officiating, in my opinion. Which is correct.
I wish you and your local associations the best in this regard.
Any resources needed, PM me. We've got quite a collection from all over.

Last edited by Freddy; Mon May 11, 2015 at 01:21pm.
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 01:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

So let me get this straight. The state controlled how many officials had on regular season games?

Peace
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 04:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's Not Only About The Money ...

Quote:
... that it will make some "illegal" plays more or less likely to be caught against him or his opponents. Some coaches design plays to set marginal screens away from the officials knowing they will not likely be caught in 2-person. With 3-person, he'll have to take some of those out of his playbook for league play ...
This is a big part of why 99% of the scholastic games in my little corner of Connecticut are two person games. Our most successful, veteran, coaches are very defensively oriented; in your face man to man defense, full court defense, half court traps, etc. These coaches are also the leaders of the state coaches organization, an organization that holds a lot of power over the state athletic governing body, especially in the sport of basketball.

As long as these veteran coaches keep coaching, and keep winning, we won't see an increase in three person games. It's not quite as bad in other parts of Connecticut, but, as a state, we're still stuck in the twentieth century, and way behind the rest of the country.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 05:46pm
Get away from me, Steve.

The tail wagging the dog.

Schools and conferences need to step up and provide some leadership and not let their coaches dictate practice.
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
So let me get this straight. The state controlled how many officials had on regular season games?

Peace
Why wouldn't they? They regulate scholastic events. It is their charter to specify/approve all parts of how the games are run.
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 07:47pm
Esteemed Participant

As I understand things, the OSAA has "certified" several camps as official training camps for the new 3person mechanics. I know the camp at Oregon State has been certified in such a manner. So the State is making steps to train officials. Whether the officials take advantage of those training opportunities remains to be seen.
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
As I understand things, the OSAA has "certified" several camps as official training camps for the new 3person mechanics. I know the camp at Oregon State has been certified in such a manner. So the State is making steps to train officials. Whether the officials take advantage of those training opportunities remains to be seen.
That is correct. Both camps I help at will be covering 3-person. Most of the officials running one of them actually have substantial 3-person experience.

I'm sure there will be several who do not make use of them. Hopefully, there will be some minimum requirement before we start putting people out there. I'm also hoping, that, initially, the assignor when assigning 3, will put a crew out there with a strong 3-person crew chief, a 2nd with some experience, and a 3rd that may be a rookie. No need to have 3 vererans on one game and 3 rookies on another.
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That is correct. Both camps I help at will be covering 3-person. Most of the officials running one of them actually have substantial 3-person experience.

I'm sure there will be several who do not make use of them. Hopefully, there will be some minimum requirement before we start putting people out there. I'm also hoping, that, initially, the assignor when assigning 3, will put a crew out there with a strong 3-person crew chief, a 2nd with some experience, and a 3rd that may be a rookie. No need to have 3 vererans on one game and 3 rookies on another.
Cam,

Glad to see this finally went through - it remains to be seen how many leagues will actually adopt it.......could be a big mess for the commissioners until it all settles out though....

I thought Jack's email said the rate was 85%.....it also said that OAOA would be developing training in accordance with NFHS 3 man mechanics.
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
Cam,

Glad to see this finally went through - it remains to be seen how many leagues will actually adopt it.......could be a big mess for the commissioners until it all settles out though....

I thought Jack's email said the rate was 85%.....it also said that OAOA would be developing training in accordance with NFHS 3 man mechanics.
Yes, the rate is 85% of the 2 person rate. The OAOA works with the camps to have the appropriate training as is required for post season eligibility. They will probably also incorporate it into their other clinics.