The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 10, 2015, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Bulls/Cavs Last Second No Call (Video 2/2)

For those that watched today's Bulls/Cavs game, I thought the penultimate play in which LeBron drives to the basket and initiates contact with Noah was a solid no-call. Noah beats LeBron to the spot, jumps vertically and the contact is caused by LeBron driving into his body. The announcers disagreed and where vehement that LeBron should be shooting two.

By the way, Noah was a secondary defender and inside the RA when he left the floor, so if he had remained on the floor and caused contact I would agree that it would be a block.

Thoughts?
Old Sun May 10, 2015, 05:35pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNJOfficial View Post
For those that watched today's Bulls/Cavs game, I thought the penultimate play in which LeBron drives to the basket and initiates contact with Noah was a solid no-call. Noah beats LeBron to the spot, jumps vertically and the contact is caused by LeBron driving into his body. The announcers disagreed and where vehement that LeBron should be shooting two.

By the way, Noah was a secondary defender and inside the RA when he left the floor, so if he had remained on the floor and caused contact I would agree that it would be a block.

Thoughts?
Great no call. I love all the fans screaming bloody murder on Twitter.
Old Sun May 10, 2015, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thoughts?
I'm not sure jumping negates the RA responsibility for secondary defenders.
Old Sun May 10, 2015, 05:55pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
The RA exists for defenders who are trying to draw a charge from a player who received a pass or started a drive outside the LDB. Noah is jumping to block a shot, thus the RA does not apply and he cannot be called for an RA blocking foul.
Old Sun May 10, 2015, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
RA is not in play if a secondary defender alights in a attempt to block the shot.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun May 10, 2015, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Great no call. I love all the fans screaming bloody murder on Twitter.
Well LeBron made the game winning shot, so the no-call didn't likely change the outcome of the game, so not sure why Cavs fans would be upset. If you're a bulls fan I suppose you could argue that if LBJ gets the call and shoots free throws the Bulls can call time and advance the ball with 1.5 on the clock...
Old Sun May 10, 2015, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Van Gundy is right, you cannot allow teams to go to their benches with a review in the last two minutes of the fourth quarter.
Old Sun May 10, 2015, 09:57pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmagan View Post
Van Gundy is right, you cannot allow teams to go to their benches with a review in the last two minutes of the fourth quarter.
Why not?
Old Sun May 10, 2015, 11:36pm
AremRed

Here's the OP play: Streamable - simple video sharing
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmagan View Post
I like and respect Van Gundy for his knowledge of the game, but I disagree with his complaint in this instance. First of all, huddling while the play is reviewed is not currently prohibited by rule, so lobby to change/clarify the rule if you don't like it. Secondly, the "extra timeout" has been occurring since the review was instituted, and happens all the time while plays are reviewed in close, game-ending situations. Making it seem like the Cavs are getting some special advantage in this instance is misleading. Lastly, the time on the clock was clearly incorrect, so the review was clearly warranted to correct that error. Change the rule to keep the players on the floor (not that this will really stop them from running a play), but until then it is what it is.
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 04:22pm
AremRed

Quote:
I like and respect Van Gundy for his knowledge of the game, but I disagree with his complaint in this instance. First of all, huddling while the play is reviewed is not currently prohibited by rule, so lobby to change/clarify the rule if you don't like it. Secondly, the "extra timeout" has been occurring since the review was instituted, and happens all the time while plays are reviewed in close, game-ending situations. Making it seem like the Cavs are getting some special advantage in this instance is misleading. Lastly, the time on the clock was clearly incorrect, so the review was clearly warranted to correct that error. Change the rule to keep the players on the floor (not that this will really stop them from running a play), but until then it is what it is.
Not to mention it was actually Tom Thibodeau asking for the review.
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thoughts?
According to the NBA report, it was ruled incorrect as Noah jumped towards James.
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 08:12pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
When I saw the title of this thread I thought it was going to be a discussion about Lebron tossing the defender to the side so he could make room for the last shot.....which he just got off.......
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
The RA exists for defenders who are trying to draw a charge from a player who received a pass or started a drive outside the LDB. Noah is jumping to block a shot, thus the RA does not apply and he cannot be called for an RA blocking foul.
Hello! Can you please tell me what do "RA" and "LDB" acronyms stand for?
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 10:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuksKasabian View Post
Hello! Can you please tell me what do "RA" and "LDB" acronyms stand for?
Restricted Area (the newer rule that deals with the little arc painted around the rim.)

Lower Defensive Block (a defined area around the basket that plays into when the RA is relevant and when it is not in some rule sets.)