The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 17, 2015, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Cavs vs Heat Illegal Screen (Video)

Was asked to post this play:

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Mar 17, 2015, 10:59pm
In Time Out

good call. that's kind of a cheap shot. I'd consider that an intentional foul in HS.
Old Tue Mar 17, 2015, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know if I'd go that far, but it certainly is an illegal screen.

The key here is how the T trusted his partners to take what was coming toward them so he could catch this sneaky pick where the sneaky picker probably figured no one was watching. Excellent get. I had to watch it twice before I even saw it. That's why I'm keeping my day job.
Old Tue Mar 17, 2015, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Pretty dirty play. Might start a fight in a pick-up game doing things like that lol
Old Wed Mar 18, 2015, 03:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
good call. that's kind of a cheap shot. I'd consider that an intentional foul in HS.
Do not call this an intentional foul
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Mar 18, 2015, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
The key here is how the T trusted his partners to take what was coming toward them so
I agree that this is the take-away here.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2015, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Also, plays like that are usually the result of something earlier in the game that might have happened between those two players. Just speculating but ref did a good job of perhaps noticing and staying with those two players. Clearly the screen was not a necessary play to free up a player. Definitely not intentional at any level.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2015, 12:27pm
In Time Out

I would absolutely consider this an intentional foul. It is a dirty play as mentioned. He leads his shoulder in. It is a non-basketball play and a dangerous one.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2015, 01:01pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
I would absolutely consider this an intentional foul. It is a dirty play as mentioned. He leads his shoulder in. It is a non-basketball play and a dangerous one.
He made contact with a leading shoulder? Video I saw he was bracing for contact while moving into the defender. In fact, all the contact occurred in the middle of the screener's back.

You should be calling a lot of intentional fouls on illegal screens in your own games. How many did you call this season on similar plays?

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Mar 18, 2015 at 01:03pm.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2015, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

A bit of help please. At what point in this clip does the offensive player's action become illegal. The worst action I see is A2 stopping.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2015, 01:52pm
In Time Out

listen maybe Jones just had a brain lapse or something. But I see his actions as being completely unnatural for the situation. It is a fast-break. He stops and moves over to the side. He sees the Heat players coming up. He puts himself in a place to make contact. He's not attempting to do a screen. He's either wondering around aimlessnessly or trying to hit Chalmers. Players don't just stop on a fast break like that and move backwards. It made no sense. I'm not saying I would call it an intentional foul but I would consider it, if I felt like the defender had been targeted.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2015, 02:01pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
A bit of help please. At what point in this clip does the offensive player's action become illegal. The worst action I see is A2 stopping.
I have the screener drifting into the defender's path. But I agree, it's not a cut-n-dry obvious foul. Makes me wonder if maybe a similar play happened earlier and Ben was determined not to miss it if it happened again.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2015, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
IF that's true (and I didn't go back to watch), did he give the moving offensive player time to stop / go around the screen? (up to two steps in NCAA -- don't know about NBA)
Old Wed Mar 18, 2015, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If A2 were moving the same path and direction as the opponent (opponent following), then A2 can't be guilty of a foul. However, if A2's path was anything else, then A2 would have to get into the path and stop while giving enough time and distance for the opponent to avoid contact.

That said, I don't think A2 just stopped. I think that A2, after stopping, leaned his shoulder into the opponent as the opponent was passing by...creating the foul.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Mar 18, 2015 at 04:05pm.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2015, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

I'll bet Ben was 100% confident in his call.

He might want his signaling mechanic back, however. It wasn't the sexiest I've seen all year.