The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Bulls/Cavs Last Second No Call (Video 2/2) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99763-bulls-cavs-last-second-no-call-video-2-2-a.html)

NNJOfficial Sun May 10, 2015 05:30pm

Bulls/Cavs Last Second No Call (Video 2/2)

For those that watched today's Bulls/Cavs game, I thought the penultimate play in which LeBron drives to the basket and initiates contact with Noah was a solid no-call. Noah beats LeBron to the spot, jumps vertically and the contact is caused by LeBron driving into his body. The announcers disagreed and where vehement that LeBron should be shooting two.

By the way, Noah was a secondary defender and inside the RA when he left the floor, so if he had remained on the floor and caused contact I would agree that it would be a block.

Thoughts?

AremRed Sun May 10, 2015 05:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NNJOfficial (Post 962024)
For those that watched today's Bulls/Cavs game, I thought the penultimate play in which LeBron drives to the basket and initiates contact with Noah was a solid no-call. Noah beats LeBron to the spot, jumps vertically and the contact is caused by LeBron driving into his body. The announcers disagreed and where vehement that LeBron should be shooting two.

By the way, Noah was a secondary defender and inside the RA when he left the floor, so if he had remained on the floor and caused contact I would agree that it would be a block.

Thoughts?

Great no call. I love all the fans screaming bloody murder on Twitter. :D

deecee Sun May 10, 2015 05:51pm

Quote:

Thoughts?

I'm not sure jumping negates the RA responsibility for secondary defenders.

AremRed Sun May 10, 2015 05:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 962028)

The RA exists for defenders who are trying to draw a charge from a player who received a pass or started a drive outside the LDB. Noah is jumping to block a shot, thus the RA does not apply and he cannot be called for an RA blocking foul.

APG Sun May 10, 2015 06:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 962028)

RA is not in play if a secondary defender alights in a attempt to block the shot.

NNJOfficial Sun May 10, 2015 07:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 962026)
Great no call. I love all the fans screaming bloody murder on Twitter. :D

Well LeBron made the game winning shot, so the no-call didn't likely change the outcome of the game, so not sure why Cavs fans would be upset. If you're a bulls fan I suppose you could argue that if LBJ gets the call and shoots free throws the Bulls can call time and advance the ball with 1.5 on the clock...

tmagan Sun May 10, 2015 09:17pm

Van Gundy is right, you cannot allow teams to go to their benches with a review in the last two minutes of the fourth quarter.

AremRed Sun May 10, 2015 09:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmagan (Post 962038)
Van Gundy is right, you cannot allow teams to go to their benches with a review in the last two minutes of the fourth quarter.

Why not?

AremRed Sun May 10, 2015 11:36pm

Here's the OP play: Streamable - simple video sharing

NNJOfficial Mon May 11, 2015 03:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmagan (Post 962038)

I like and respect Van Gundy for his knowledge of the game, but I disagree with his complaint in this instance. First of all, huddling while the play is reviewed is not currently prohibited by rule, so lobby to change/clarify the rule if you don't like it. Secondly, the "extra timeout" has been occurring since the review was instituted, and happens all the time while plays are reviewed in close, game-ending situations. Making it seem like the Cavs are getting some special advantage in this instance is misleading. Lastly, the time on the clock was clearly incorrect, so the review was clearly warranted to correct that error. Change the rule to keep the players on the floor (not that this will really stop them from running a play), but until then it is what it is.

AremRed Mon May 11, 2015 04:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NNJOfficial (Post 962116)
I like and respect Van Gundy for his knowledge of the game, but I disagree with his complaint in this instance. First of all, huddling while the play is reviewed is not currently prohibited by rule, so lobby to change/clarify the rule if you don't like it. Secondly, the "extra timeout" has been occurring since the review was instituted, and happens all the time while plays are reviewed in close, game-ending situations. Making it seem like the Cavs are getting some special advantage in this instance is misleading. Lastly, the time on the clock was clearly incorrect, so the review was clearly warranted to correct that error. Change the rule to keep the players on the floor (not that this will really stop them from running a play), but until then it is what it is.

Not to mention it was actually Tom Thibodeau asking for the review.

Jay R Mon May 11, 2015 06:56pm

Quote:

Thoughts?

According to the NBA report, it was ruled incorrect as Noah jumped towards James.

grunewar Mon May 11, 2015 08:12pm

When I saw the title of this thread I thought it was going to be a discussion about Lebron tossing the defender to the side so he could make room for the last shot.....which he just got off.......

LuksKasabian Mon May 11, 2015 08:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 962029)
The RA exists for defenders who are trying to draw a charge from a player who received a pass or started a drive outside the LDB. Noah is jumping to block a shot, thus the RA does not apply and he cannot be called for an RA blocking foul.

Hello! Can you please tell me what do "RA" and "LDB" acronyms stand for?

Adam Mon May 11, 2015 10:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuksKasabian (Post 962146)
Hello! Can you please tell me what do "RA" and "LDB" acronyms stand for?

Restricted Area (the newer rule that deals with the little arc painted around the rim.)

Lower Defensive Block (a defined area around the basket that plays into when the RA is relevant and when it is not in some rule sets.)