The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 09, 2015, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Game Scenario for Discussion

Setup: State sanctioned spring/summer league where JV players looking to advance to varsity play for their own schools against other schools in the area. Officials work in a 3-person crew. Modified rules include 20-min running clock halves, but the clock stops in the last two minutes of the second half (excepting for a 25-point mercy rule).

Situation: 3-person crew. Team A was dominant most of the game and up by about 18 points early in the second half. But Team B goes on a run and comes to within 6 when the ball becomes dead/clock stops with 59.8 remaining. Team A has an endline spot throw-in under Team B's basket, and Team B is pressing. You're the new lead ready to receive the play as it comes down court and you're right by Team A's bench. Coach A calls timeout before A1 releases a throw-in pass, but by the time you put air in the whistle, the throw-in pass has been released and is in flight. You grant the timeout. Then you look up at the clock and see 58.4.

Taking all of this context into account, what do you do?
Old Sat May 09, 2015, 10:05pm
We don't rent pigs

You put the 59.8 back on the clock? Why is this even a question?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat May 09, 2015, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
just another ref....I don't want to stymie the discussion but I sent you a PM.
Old Sat May 09, 2015, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I'm not sure if I'm missing something because I also wonder why this is a question? In addition to what jar said, I'm telling timer to not start the clock until I signal (which will be when the ball is legally touched in bounds) after the timeout.

But a pretty straightforward ruling. The other background info has no bearing on the ruling.
Old Sat May 09, 2015, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
I'm not sure if I'm missing something because I also wonder why this is a question? In addition to what jar said, I'm telling timer to not start the clock until I signal (which will be when the ball is legally touched in bounds) after the timeout.

But a pretty straightforward ruling. The other background info has no bearing on the ruling.
I will preface my comment by saying that I do not do much 3 man.

In this case, as I read the description, the timer should not be looking at the lead for the signal to start the clock. Given the timing mentioned in the OP, I would not have an issue with the timer unless I knew 100% that a partner had not dropped the hand.

As for the clock. I am resetting it to the time prior to the throw, as no time legally came off the clock.
Old Sun May 10, 2015, 02:02am
Official Forum Member

Air was put in the whistle when the ball was loose- no timeout can be granted, inadvertent whistle.

At least that's the only outrageous solution I can come up with at this ungodly hour.
Old Sun May 10, 2015, 02:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstiles99 View Post
Air was put in the whistle when the ball was loose- no timeout can be granted, inadvertent whistle.
Why not? If you don't get air in the whistle when a foul is still occurring, is it too late to call the foul?
Old Sun May 10, 2015, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My post notwithstanding, I'm going to pretend I'm a casual observer on this and say that this is not correct. One of the rules fundamentals is that "the whistle rarely causes the ball to become dead; it is already dead." So since I know the TO was called while the thrower had the ball, that caused the ball to become dead. The whistle a second later was simply a marker of that event. That's how it works. This was most certainly not an inadvertent whistle.
Old Sun May 10, 2015, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

I'll also cast my vot for putting the time back and for wondering why this is an issue.
Old Sun May 10, 2015, 10:00am
We don't rent pigs

Or, if it has already been established that this is a really casual atmosphere and that something as complicated as putting time back up will be frowned upon, you might tell the timer to be sure and watch for your signal after the timeout and hold for a couple of seconds before starting.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun May 10, 2015, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Incorrect. See case play 5.8.3 Situation E. If you grant a timeout, even erroneously, it cannot be revoked.
Old Sun May 10, 2015, 11:02am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
I will preface my comment by saying that I do not do much 3 man.

In this case, as I read the description, the timer should not be looking at the lead for the signal to start the clock. Given the timing mentioned in the OP, I would not have an issue with the timer unless I knew 100% that a partner had not dropped the hand.

As for the clock. I am resetting it to the time prior to the throw, as no time legally came off the clock.
None of this matters. Just grant the TO, put the time back on the clock, and move on. I'm assuming there must be more to the story, since this is rather basic.
Old Sun May 10, 2015, 11:03am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

At least that's the only outrageous solution I can come up with at this ungodly hour.
Even if you consider this an inadvertent whistle and an incorrectly granted timeout (which it is not), you would still grant the timeout and resume play by POI rules. Team control for the throw in team, so it will be A's ball. Ball location would be where the throw was released.

IOW, there's absolutely zero difference.
Old Sun May 10, 2015, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Also the timeout being granted and the blowing of the whistle may not happen at the same time.
Old Sun May 10, 2015, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Grant the timeout. Put the time back on the clock. Have a discussion with the official timer about not starting the clock until it has been signaled. If there is any confusion, call both coaches over and explain that the timeout was requested prior to the release of the ball and it was simply a timing issue when the whistle occurred.
Closed Thread