The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 08, 2015, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
But isn't that one of the purposes of signals, to communicate the "call" to partners, table personnel, coaches, players, and fans?

It is, according to the NFHS:

"Signaling is an essential aspect of officiating and, through its use, decisions and information are relayed to players, coaches, and spectators."
If fans don't understand what the signals mean, then the way I communicate them won't make any difference. My point was that Ohio's stance makes no sense: if fans comprehend what "hand behind the head" means, then it would be reasonable to assume that they would understand what a punch in the opposite direction means. If they don't understand one, they're not going to understand the other. I just don't get telling officials they "can't use a certain signal" because "the fans won't understand it." If the fans really care about understanding the signals, they can study the chart.
Old Sat May 09, 2015, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
*I follow the procedure described by this post (above)--no need for me to conjure up a modified mechanic. Only exception is that I will say
"white, twenty-five". Instead of saying "white, 2 - 5". However, the score table will always verbally verify that I am saying 'player number 25 instead of "player number 2 and/or player number 5". So, this is a minute detail dictated more by training than tenet.

Don't say 2-5. Say twenty five.
Old Sat May 09, 2015, 02:16pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Who is most influential in holding officials accountable to using approved signals?
A) NFHS
B) The state
C) Camp clinicians
D) Local association trainer(s)
E) Assigner(s)
F) Individual officials who care
G) Does it really frickin' matter?

Depends on the locale.

For us, associations make no assignments. Conference varsity games are assigned by commissioners, of which I am one. If I wished to use that as a criteria for our 20 boys and 19 girls programs I could. I've already made my feelings known.

If you're talking postseason, that's all in the hands of the state.

I'm really not fond of anyone who puts too much effort or worth in robotically following a signal chart. I'm much more interested in effort, positioning, and correct calls.
Old Sat May 09, 2015, 03:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

They Must Play A Lot Of Basketball In Rome ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Depends on the locale.
"Two. Five.", here in my little corner of Connecticut.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat May 09, 2015, 03:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
And who is going to stop me or anyone else that does?

This is about as silly a thing to get upset by if you ask me.

Peace
Old Sat May 09, 2015, 03:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Who is most influential in holding officials accountable to using approved signals?
A) NFHS
B) The state
C) Camp clinicians
D) Local association trainer(s)
E) Assigner(s)
F) Individual officials who care
G) Does it really frickin' matter?
No one on this list really. Here it falls into the sport administrator (we have one for each gender) and they often have Head Clinician that conveys the message. I am a state clinician and it is who I have to listen to when teaching my camps. After that it comes back to the assignor who hires the officials for regular season game (many do not care), but the state administrator hires all the officials for the State Tournament. So at the end of the day, if they do not like your mechanics you do not work in the post season. And assignors want people that work the post season for their own credibility.

Peace
Old Sat May 09, 2015, 07:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Chutes And Ladders ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
And who is going to stop me or anyone else that does?
JRutledge: You've already made it to the top of the scholastic basketball officiating ladder, so you can pretty much do, within reason, whatever you want. Plus you're a clinician so I'm sure that you follow your own advice. So, to answer the first part of your question, nobody is going to stop you.

Now let's deal with some of the "anyone else".

For those starting at the bottom of the ladder, I suggest that they follow the advice of their assigner, and their interpreter (clinician).

If they say to say, "Twenty-five.", than by all means say, "Twenty-five."

If they say to say, "Two. Five.", than by all means say, "Two. Five."

If they say that either is acceptable, then do whatever feels right for you, but I would try to emulate the successful officials in your association.

If they're giving you mixed messages, then follow the advice of the one that will have the greatest impact on you moving up the ladder, probably your assigner.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat May 09, 2015 at 07:16pm.
Old Sun May 10, 2015, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Nfhs manual says say the whole number- I've always said(and will always say) the whole number when reporting. But.. It also says say the color and number directly after you call the foul- which I've never seen anyone do and I've never done (and will never do). The main thing I'm trying to work on during the offseason is my appearance- this includes losing weight, moving faster, better positioning as T (I have a bad habit of being a statue and backing out too early), and signaling.

Anyone else still signal blocking fouls with fists on hips instead of palms facing down??? I HATE the way the open palms look when you're trying to sell a blocking foul. The fists looks so much more crisp and believable. Please tell me I'm not the only one.
Old Sun May 10, 2015, 05:24am
Esteemed Forum Member

Blocking Signal ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstiles99 View Post
... signal blocking fouls with fists on hips instead of palms facing down.
Here in my little corner of Connecticut, rookies are taught to use the proper signal (open palms), but after that, both signals seem to be "tolerated". For me personally, I usually go with fists at the site of the foul (probably because of observing old timers do it back when I was on my way up the ladder) and then go with open palms when reporting. I'd love to use the proper signal all the time, but it's tough to teach an old dog old tricks.

Old Sun May 10, 2015, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Stopping the clock with a raised fist and then signaling the direction of the ball while placing a hand behind your head is the proper NFHS mechanic and if you are new and/or being evaluated a a HS official, that's what you should do.
That being said, most veteran officials adopt a variation of the NBA style fist punch. If I do that, I give the proper PC foul signal when I report to the table.

Using a multiple whistle for a player control foul is a way to make it clear, particularly to your partners, that you are calling a PC foul. Block = single whistle and charge = multiple whistle. This is not a rule, this is simply a matter of personal preference and are one of the little nuances that help show your command of the game.

The proper mechanic for a team control foul is to give the normal raised fist foul signal and then to drop the fist so that it is facing forward. The proper mechanic is not a punch. Again, most officials have either adopted the punch or give the raised fist foul signal and point in the direction of the ball. Again, a multiple whistle helps signal what you are calling, but is by no means a requisite.