The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 13, 2015, 03:51pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
I think I'd argue he's actually gaining an advantage. The common thought of advantage is probably position with respect to the hoop, but he was looking to pass from minute one. First off, he probably traveled initially which got him out of the key, preventing a 3 second violation or forced quicker pass, which is an advantage to him on that play. Second, he continued to back up, giving him an increasingly better view of the court to pass from.

So in this case, I think he traveled AND there was an advantage in positioning gained.
While this might constitute advantage in your mind, the NBA would probably not agree.
Old Mon Apr 13, 2015, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

It's simply a missed call...no more, no less. This is a play that the league would want called regularly.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Apr 13, 2015, 04:34pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
It's simply a missed call...no more, no less. This is a play that the league would want called regularly.
Exactly. I never said it shouldn't be called. I just said that I can see how they missed it.
Old Mon Apr 13, 2015, 04:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

About a player stepping out of bounds being a violation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Not in the NBA.
I don't get this post. Sarcasm?
Old Mon Apr 13, 2015, 04:40pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
About a player stepping out of bounds being a violation:

I don't get this post. Sarcasm?
Depends. Camron never specified what kind of stepping OOB the player was doing. If Camron meant to imply that the player had the ball and stepped OOB, it's obviously a violation and my comment is sarcasm. If Camron meant an off-ball player stepping OOB then that's obviously nothing and my comment can be taken literally.

And no I don't think OOB violations can be subject to advantage/disadvantage. Some violations like OOB are black and white, while some like traveling, carrying, etc. are much more gray and thus can be subject to A/D.
Old Mon Apr 13, 2015, 06:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Depends. Camron never specified what kind of stepping OOB the player was doing. If Camron meant to imply that the player had the ball and stepped OOB, it's obviously a violation and my comment is sarcasm. If Camron meant an off-ball player stepping OOB then that's obviously nothing and my comment can be taken literally.

And no I don't think OOB violations can be subject to advantage/disadvantage. Some violations like OOB are black and white, while some like traveling, carrying, etc. are much more gray and thus can be subject to A/D.
I think in context, it was obvious to me that he meant a player with the ball, given that's the only situation where "stepping out of bounds" is always a violation.
Old Mon Apr 13, 2015, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I think in context, it was obvious to me that he meant a player with the ball, given that's the only situation where "stepping out of bounds" is always a violation.
Player with the ball.

Sort of like this player, with the the ball, where the facts (holding the ball, feet moved several times, etc.) are not in dispute. There is no good reason to argue that it is OK to not call this play a travel anymore than the same player stepping OOB with the ball.

And I generally don't think that traveling is so much advantage/disadvantage call. There is nothing authoritative I've ever heard or read to suggest otherwise. Most of the cases where traveling (and even carrying) is disputed, unlike this one, have a definite advantage.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Apr 13, 2015 at 08:25pm.
Old Tue Apr 14, 2015, 07:20am
Esteemed Forum Member

Advantage Disadvantage Judgment Observation ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I generally don't think that traveling is so much advantage/disadvantage call. There is nothing authoritative I've ever heard or read to suggest otherwise.
Agree. But some travels are tough to call for some officials. Even here on the Forum, when different officials view the same video, we can't always agree upon a travel call.

Out of bounds is different. A player either steps on the boundary, or doesn't. If an official sees it, it's never passed on, and is always called.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Apr 14, 2015 at 07:23am.
Old Tue Apr 14, 2015, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Agree. But some travels are tough to call for some officials. Even here on the Forum, when different officials view the same video, we can't always agree upon a travel call.

Out of bounds is different. A player either steps on the boundary, or doesn't. If an official sees it, it's never passed on, and is always called.
I don't think travels are difficult to see from the standpoint that we all see the same footwork and movements. What becomes problematic is ideas like gathered, released, control. There are very fine points in terms of when we feel the player has collected/controlled the ball, when we feel like then could dribble again, and when we can see the ball come out of contact with their hand. This is why I feel (that much like fouls) in an area or association you should be watching video and coming to a relative consesus on what you are going to consider things like:

- clearly released
- gather
- dribbling motion etc.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Tue Apr 14, 2015, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
I don't think travels are difficult to see from the standpoint that we all see the same footwork and movements. What becomes problematic is ideas like gathered, released, control. There are very fine points in terms of when we feel the player has collected/controlled the ball, when we feel like then could dribble again, and when we can see the ball come out of contact with their hand. This is why I feel (that much like fouls) in an area or association you should be watching video and coming to a relative consesus on what you are going to consider things like:

- clearly released
- gather
- dribbling motion etc.
And, according to the actual dribble/travel rules, there is no such thing as "gather". When the ball comes to rest in a hand to end the dribble, it is being held. There is no mystical 3rd status between dribbling and holding unless they lose player control. It doesn't require that they squeeze it between two hands and pull it in to some magic spot. Gather may be a valid NBA term but it doesn't exist at other levels and applying it to them is not currently supported by the rules.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Apr 14, 2015 at 10:37am.
Old Tue Apr 14, 2015, 11:11am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
And, according to the actual dribble/travel rules, there is no such thing as "gather". When the ball comes to rest in a hand to end the dribble, it is being held. There is no mystical 3rd status between dribbling and holding unless they lose player control. It doesn't require that they squeeze it between two hands and pull it in to some magic spot. Gather may be a valid NBA term but it doesn't exist at other levels and applying it to them is not currently supported by the rules.
Yep, and just fleshing this out a bit.

The point at which you would call a double dribble if the player proceeds to dribble is the point at which you should consider the ball to be "held" for purposes of pivot foot establishment.
Old Tue Apr 14, 2015, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The point at which you would call a double dribble if the player proceeds to dribble is the point at which you should consider the ball to be "held" for purposes of pivot foot establishment.
So, in the play being discussed, maybe the officials didn't think he was holding the ball . . .
Old Tue Apr 14, 2015, 01:02pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:

That's not necessarily true. Say a player stumbles then lunges and barely touches the ball with both hands, that would end the dribble but there could be a loss of control.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Apr 14, 2015, 01:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
So, in the play being discussed, maybe the officials didn't think he was holding the ball . . .
Oh, I just think they missed it. Digging any deeper than that is pointless.
Old Tue Apr 14, 2015, 01:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
That's not necessarily true. Say a player stumbles then lunges and barely touches the ball with both hands, that would end the dribble but there could be a loss of control.
Fair point, but I'd say the guideline would only apply to determining when a player began holding the ball. If he's not holding it as he stumbles, or even if he fumbles at some point before moving, a travel wouldn't necessarily apply.