The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 09, 2015, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

traveling

I have a question after I was playing a pickup game and was told I traveled. I am under the impression while dribbling you can take two steps after you pick the ball up, after that not sure. So this is the situation. I drove in to the lane and took my two steps. My right leg was my first and then my left. The way I understood, my left foot is my pivot foot so when got to my left foot I pump faked then layed it in. I was told if I drive and take my two steps I have to go up or else it is a travel. Any info would be nice.
Old Thu Apr 09, 2015, 02:38am
Official Forum Member

The travel rules are completely different than what you describe or what your friends think they are.

In general, a single foot that is on the floor when you catch the ball from the dribble is your pivot foot. If you lift that foot and put it back down before releasing the ball on a pass or a shot, you have traveled. In the case of a dribble to layup, if you catch the ball when the left foot is on the floor, you can step with the right but NOT again with the left before you release the layup.

What you do with the ball or how quickly or slowly do take those steps or which direction you take the steps are not relevant.

There are a few other legal movements but this should address your specific question.
Old Thu Apr 09, 2015, 05:52am
Esteemed Forum Member

It's Not About Steps ...

Camron Rust gives a good answer. Please note that, rightfully so, he doesn't refer to how many steps can be taken. Traveling is never about how many steps are taken. It's about what can, and cannot, be legally done once a player lifts his pivot foot. It's not about counting steps, it's about watching the pivot foot, and knowing the limitations on movement of said foot.

From the list:

The traveling rule is one of the most misunderstood rules in basketball. To start a dribble, the ball must be released before the pivot foot is lifted. On a pass or a shot, the pivot foot may be lifted, but may not return to the floor before the ball is released. A player may slide on the floor while trying to secure a loose ball until that player’s momentum stops. At that point that player cannot attempt to get up or rollover. A player securing a ball while on the floor cannot attempt to stand up unless that player starts a dribble. A player in this situation may also pass, shoot, or request a timeout. If the player is flat on his or her back, that player may sit up without violating.

A player must be holding the ball (with one very rare exception) in order to travel. A player can't travel while dribbling, while tapping the ball, while fumbling it, or while trying to recover a loose ball. During a fumble the player is not in control of the ball, and therefore, cannot be called for a traveling violation. A fumble is the accidental loss of player control when the ball is unintentionally dropped or slips from a player’s grasp. After a player has ended a dribble and fumbled the ball, that player may recover the ball without violating. Any steps taken during the recovery of a fumble are not traveling, regardless of how far the ball goes and the amount of advantage that is gained. It is always legal to recover a fumble, even at the end of a dribble, however that player cannot begin a new dribble, which would be an illegal dribble violation. A player who fumbles the ball when receiving a pass may legally start a dribble.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Apr 09, 2015, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakevoiles View Post
I have a question after I was playing a pickup game and was told I traveled. I am under the impression while dribbling you can take two steps after you pick the ball up, after that not sure. So this is the situation. I drove in to the lane and took my two steps. My right leg was my first and then my left. The way I understood, my left foot is my pivot foot so when got to my left foot I pump faked then layed it in. I was told if I drive and take my two steps I have to go up or else it is a travel. Any info would be nice.
saying the same thing differently--if you pick up the ball with both feet on the floor you can step forward with the left and place it on the floor(one complete step.) your right becomes the pivot when the left is lifted. If you lift the right you can bring it forward/sideways etc (start a second step) but if you put it on the ground (finish the second step) before releasing the ball on a shot or pass you have traveled. I have always said you get 1.5 steps on a standard layup. Really, anything shy of a full 2.

Anymore, i've given up saying 1.5 steps because the younger generation thinks they get two full steps after catching the ball. I now stick with saying you lifted your pivot foot and put it back down on the floor before releasing the ball on the shot or pass. That's travel.

p.s. instead of taking two steps for a layup in traffic--- pull up and shoot a 5 footer off the board….
Old Fri Apr 10, 2015, 05:46pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
p.s. instead of taking two steps for a layup in traffic--- pull up and shoot a 5 footer off the board….
You mean you've actually hit that trick shot??
Old Tue Apr 14, 2015, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakevoiles View Post
Same thing happened to me not long ago. Well, as far as I'm concerned, traveling violation occurs when you illegally move your pivot foot or taking at least 3 steps without dribbling the ball. That's the same rule I held on to ever since I was a kiddo.
Old Wed Apr 15, 2015, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonnorin View Post
Same thing happened to me not long ago. Well, as far as I'm concerned, traveling violation occurs when you illegally move your pivot foot or taking at least 3 steps without dribbling the ball. That's the same rule I held on to ever since I was a kiddo.

How many steps you take has nothing to do with whether you traveled or not. You can take one step and travel.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Apr 15, 2015, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
How many steps you take has nothing to do with whether you traveled or not. You can take one step and travel.
Which is why I can say I am a pure amateur when it comes to basketball. hehe. So, on what scenario can you say "You can take one step and travel."? Thanks in advance. Sorry if you find the question too amateur-ish.
Old Wed Apr 15, 2015, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Which is why I can say I am a pure amateur when it comes to basketball. hehe. So, on what scenario can you say "You can take one step and travel."? Thanks in advance. Sorry if you find the question too amateur-ish.
If you catch/gather the ball with one foot on the floor and then make a jump stop/land on two feet, you aren't allowed to pivot. Picking up either foot and returning it to the floor before shooting or passing would be a travel.

But this is one of a handful of travel rules that may as well not exist as it isn't called at any level of basketball
Old Wed Apr 15, 2015, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicGuy View Post
But this is one of a handful of travel rules that may as well not exist as it isn't called at any level of basketball
Yeah maybe that's one of the reasons why not everyone knows about this rule. Thanks for the enlightenment, bro.
Old Wed Apr 15, 2015, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Airborne player catches the ball and lands right foot, then left foot.

He then steps with his right foot. Traveling.

Traveling is about moving the pivot foot outside the prescribed limits while holding the ball.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Apr 15, 2015, 05:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It Doesn't Get Any Simpler Than That ...

Quote:
Traveling is about moving the pivot foot outside the prescribed limits while holding the ball.
Succinct. Nothing about counting steps.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Apr 15, 2015, 11:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicGuy View Post
If you catch/gather the ball with one foot on the floor and then make a jump stop/land on two feet, you aren't allowed to pivot. Picking up either foot and returning it to the floor before shooting or passing would be a travel.

I disagree. I see it get called every time I see it happen. Around here, though, most players know better.

I do, however, also notice that most officials will give the benefit of the doubt to the player when it's unclear whether he gathered the dribble before or after he jumped.

Quote:
Yeah maybe that's one of the reasons why not everyone knows about this rule. Thanks for the enlightenment, bro.
Anyone who has officiated more than about 10 games should know this rule.
Old Thu Apr 16, 2015, 04:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Airborne player catches the ball and lands right foot, then left foot.

He then steps with his right foot. Traveling.

Makes sense to me now. Thanks.
Old Thu Apr 16, 2015, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

I agree it's not about number of steps, but this is still illustrative of the joke that is the NBE:

Dwyane Wade Doesn't Get Called for 7-Step Travel | Bleacher Report