Thread: traveling
View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 09, 2015, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakevoiles View Post
I have a question after I was playing a pickup game and was told I traveled. I am under the impression while dribbling you can take two steps after you pick the ball up, after that not sure. So this is the situation. I drove in to the lane and took my two steps. My right leg was my first and then my left. The way I understood, my left foot is my pivot foot so when got to my left foot I pump faked then layed it in. I was told if I drive and take my two steps I have to go up or else it is a travel. Any info would be nice.
saying the same thing differently--if you pick up the ball with both feet on the floor you can step forward with the left and place it on the floor(one complete step.) your right becomes the pivot when the left is lifted. If you lift the right you can bring it forward/sideways etc (start a second step) but if you put it on the ground (finish the second step) before releasing the ball on a shot or pass you have traveled. I have always said you get 1.5 steps on a standard layup. Really, anything shy of a full 2.

Anymore, i've given up saying 1.5 steps because the younger generation thinks they get two full steps after catching the ball. I now stick with saying you lifted your pivot foot and put it back down on the floor before releasing the ball on the shot or pass. That's travel.

p.s. instead of taking two steps for a layup in traffic--- pull up and shoot a 5 footer off the board….