The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Traveling or nothing!

I have seen this called many times over the years, but would like to know if the call is correct and where in the rules does it state this is a violation.

Two teammates secure a rebound at same time, neither realizing that other player holding the ball is a teammate A1 has a pivot foot established on the floor the entire play. A2 is tiring to pull ball away and he moves both feet while tiring to do so. One player has a legal pivot foot and one is moving both feet while both are in control of the ball. I have seen this called walking many times. Is that a correct call? Where in Book is it found? Why should the illegal players actions hold more weight than the legal players action?
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 10:55am
M.A.S.H.

Simple answer is that it is a violation. I don't have the book to cite for you. But I'm sure someone will do that for me, before I get back to my desk. If not, I will whenever I return.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCoach
I have seen this called many times over the years, but would like to know if the call is correct and where in the rules does it state this is a violation.

Two teammates secure a rebound at same time, neither realizing that other player holding the ball is a teammate A1 has a pivot foot established on the floor the entire play. A2 is tiring to pull ball away and he moves both feet while tiring to do so. One player has a legal pivot foot and one is moving both feet while both are in control of the ball. I have seen this called walking many times. Is that a correct call? Where in Book is it found? Why should the illegal players actions hold more weight than the legal players action?
Once you accept the concept that both A1 & A2 can have player control at the same time it becomes easier to understand.

If you can't accept that then do you think it's legal for A1 & A2 to walk down the court while both hold the ball?
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Coach, both of them have to have a pivot foot not just one
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 11:08am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCoach

Case 4.44.2 explains
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Once you accept the concept that both A1 & A2 can have player control at the same time it becomes easier to understand.

If you can't accept that then do you think it's legal for A1 & A2 to walk down the court while both hold the ball?
So if A1 & B1 both catch a rebound at the same time and B1 immediately calls a timeout are you going to grant it? I've always wondered this.

Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 11:59am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart
So if A1 & B1 both catch a rebound at the same time and B1 immediately calls a timeout are you going to grant it? I've always wondered this.

Player control team control doesn't apply to opponents, as in your picture.

Edit: Oops

Last edited by tjones1; Wed Dec 06, 2006 at 12:13pm.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 12:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I've seen that look on girls all the time. When they tie the ball up, they tend to look at the ref to make the call. When boys tie it up, they keep trying to get it. There are, obviously, exceptions.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
Team control doesn't apply to opponents, as in your picture.
How can both teammates have player control, but opponents can't have player control? Is there a rule that states this?
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 12:12pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart
How can both teammates have player control, but opponents can't have player control? Is there a rule that states this?
Umm...

4-25-1
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

however the one stich is that if A1 has his/her right foot as pivot A2 must have his/her left foot as pivot -- this of course to mirror the pivot foot pinciple outlined in 3.4.2 sitA.

One exception is that if wither A1 or A2 first name begins with a "K" they can use their opposite foot as their pivot. 3.4.2 sitA exception1.

If you are curious where I got this from, its from the secret abridged 2006 rule book. I had to steal it from Frodo because he was gonna chuck it into the volcano as well.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 12:17pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
Umm...

4-25-1
4-12-3b
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 12:18pm
M.A.S.H.

Yeaaaaaaah....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
4-12-3b
That too! Thanks Mick!
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys!

It's alot easier to make rulings on these plays now that I understand the rule

Now for another question

If A1 has control and B1 then grabs the ball which moves A1's pivot foot (think of a hard pull on the ball), this would be a travel, correct?
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

jump ball --