The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 11:50am
In Time Out

CA Open Championship (Boys)

Returning to the timeout issue I mentioned in the California state boys championship. I don't have video of the play. But from my recollection, Mater Dei missed a shot with about two seconds to go, ball was live, a Bishop player is calling for timeout. He doesn't have the ball. Clock runs out.
Again, in my opinion, the refs saw the TO request but ignored it. Or 2, they saw it but it didn't register in their mind to grant it. 3- They didn't see it.
Bishop O'Dowd did not have any timeouts left.
The game went into OT. It was a great game. It would not have been right to end the game on a T in that situation. If the refs had seen the player signal a TO, then I think they were 100% right to ignore it. It wasn't a controversial play and no one seemed to notice it. Perhaps the player and the refs were fortunate there wasn't more than a second or two on the clock because then I think the refs would have had to grant the TO request. Well-officiated game. A classic game to remember. In the Ohio game with the T on the dunk, that is a controversial call but you can't fault the ref for calling it. There was a showboat element to it. But here if a T is called it would not have been the right way to end the game.

Streak ends | state, monarchs, scored - Sports - OC Varsity
Quote:
Parker tried a baseline floater that hit the heel of the rim, Cage got the rebound but his putback effort rolled off of the rim. O’Dowd got the ball and there might have been a Dragons player who signaled for a timeout that O’Dowd did not have – a technical foul on the Dragons, if that is what happened and if the officials had seen that.

Here is one video I could find but not of the play in question. BTW, from here you can't really tell but on TV it appears there was a foul. There was a two minute delay or so to work out the time and which is why the first FT was airballed in my opinion. player was frozen at the line. Just added to the drama! btw, Mater Dei is an amazing team.

Mater Dei falls in OT to Bishop O'Dowd in Open Division title game - LA Times
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 12:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If you want support for your opinion that officials should ignore a timeout request in this case, you'll have to go to a fan site. I'm sure they'll agree with you.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 12:56pm
In Time Out

if you watched the game I think you'd have agreed with me.
Again, like I said, it was very quick from the TO request and the end of regulation. Maybe the refs didn't see it. IDK. But absolutely it was the right move to ignore the T if that was the case as it would have meant a Technical foul with maybe .5 seconds left or something.

It was a good game with a fitting end.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Jesus Christ mutant

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
Here is one video I could find but not of the play in question. BTW, from here you can't really tell but on TV it appears there was a foul. There was a two minute delay or so to work out the time and which is why the first FT was airballed in my opinion. player was frozen at the line. Just added to the drama! btw, Mater Dei is an amazing team.

Mater Dei falls in OT to Bishop O'Dowd in Open Division title game - LA Times
Or maybe it had something to do Red #1 disconcerting the free thrower. IMO, that should have been called.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 02:19pm
In Time Out

I saw that too. I think the rules committee really needs to look at that because I see it called so inconsistency and often ignored.
I often see a player raise his hands up really fast. Makes it seem like a rebounding issue but really it is to distract the FT shooter. I'd rather have it clearer and more examples on when to call it because it seems to be all over the place. The players really don't know either what crosses the line.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 02:28pm
In Time Out

We had a discussion earlier about black and white, literal reading of the rules, etc. There is the correct call but there can also by the RIGHT call. The right call can mean passing on a foul that could have been called.
By rule could the refs have called a T? Yes, they could have. But if you had watched the game as I did(and Nevada too I think) you would realize it would have gone against the spirit of the game. It would not have been the right way to end the game. I think Nevada(note-I may be wrong) was more in favor of the literal interpretation, by myself and others, thought you don't always call the game by the book. There are times when you don't call hand-checks and minor fouls.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Streak ends | state, monarchs, scored - Sports - OC Varsity

"O’Dowd got the ball and there might have been a Dragons player who signaled for a timeout that O’Dowd did not have – a technical foul on the Dragons, if that is what happened and if the officials had seen that."
I'm stunned to see the linked article was written by a member of a legitimate media outlet. This excerpt you posted sounded like it was written by, at best, a high school student (if not a child), so I had to look.

But I guess that's in keeping with the writing style/officiating mindset of most of your posts.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

For the record, I believe in calling the game by the rules as written. That is the right way to officiate.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 03:43pm
In Time Out

did you watch that game Nevada? I missed the first half but saw the second. I saw most of the previous game, the St Mary's one.
Listen, this may be a moot issue. Maybe the refs didn't see it, or maybe they saw it and thought but the time they granted it time would have run-out.
I'm just saying I'm glad it wasn't called.
I'll post a video when I can. It was on tv here statewide.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
did you watch that game Nevada? I missed the first half but saw the second.
I did not see the end of the game. Had some other things going on.
Quote:
I saw most of the previous game, the St Mary's one.
What surprised me about the girls Open contest was that the CIF assigned a crew from the St. Mary's section to officiate it.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 04:49pm
In Time Out

in the St Mary's game I thought there were a couple of strange calls and if anything they seemed to favor Mater Dei but I thought the officiating was good.
I was so impressed with Mater Dei's star player. Sorry, I don't know her name. The guard, dark haired girl. Crazy skill.

oh here she is. ha. She is going to LMU.
Divine sisterhood at No. 1 Mater Del -espnW
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 05:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Grant, And Then Charge ...

Quote:
By rule could the refs have called a T? .
No. You're skipping a step. First, the official should have granted the timeout. There is no provision in the rulebook, casebook, or the mechanics manual, for an official to ignore a legal request for timeout out just because the official knows that the team has used their last timeout.

Second, after the official scorekeeper confirms that the team has used an excess timeout, the technical foul is charged, but only after the timeout is granted, and used.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Mar 30, 2015 at 05:50pm.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 06:13pm
Esteemed Participant

You know, there was this college game a few years back where this guy named Chris Weber was playing with these other 4 really good players from Michigan, and wouldn't you know it, he tried to call a timeout thingy when they didn't have any timeout thingys left.

Good thing for him the refs just chose to ignore his request, cause it was just too good of a game to end with...wait. What? The refs did give him the timeout? And called a T??????

Why those dirty basturds. I bet they got run out of town and never worked another big college game in their...what??? They did???

Never mind.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 06:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I'm Gonna Get Legal On This Right Away ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
You know, there was this college game a few years back where this guy named Chris Weber was playing with these other 4 really good players from Michigan, and wouldn't you know it, he tried to call a timeout thingy when they didn't have any timeout thingys left.

Good thing for him the refs just chose to ignore his request, cause it was just too good of a game to end with...wait. What? The refs did give him the timeout? And called a T??????

Why those dirty basturds. I bet they got run out of town and never worked another big college game in their...what??? They did???

Never mind.
Hey. That's my schtick.

Note: Well done rockyroad.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)