View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 11:50am
In Time Out

CA Open Championship (Boys)

Returning to the timeout issue I mentioned in the California state boys championship. I don't have video of the play. But from my recollection, Mater Dei missed a shot with about two seconds to go, ball was live, a Bishop player is calling for timeout. He doesn't have the ball. Clock runs out.
Again, in my opinion, the refs saw the TO request but ignored it. Or 2, they saw it but it didn't register in their mind to grant it. 3- They didn't see it.
Bishop O'Dowd did not have any timeouts left.
The game went into OT. It was a great game. It would not have been right to end the game on a T in that situation. If the refs had seen the player signal a TO, then I think they were 100% right to ignore it. It wasn't a controversial play and no one seemed to notice it. Perhaps the player and the refs were fortunate there wasn't more than a second or two on the clock because then I think the refs would have had to grant the TO request. Well-officiated game. A classic game to remember. In the Ohio game with the T on the dunk, that is a controversial call but you can't fault the ref for calling it. There was a showboat element to it. But here if a T is called it would not have been the right way to end the game.

Streak ends | state, monarchs, scored - Sports - OC Varsity
Quote:
Parker tried a baseline floater that hit the heel of the rim, Cage got the rebound but his putback effort rolled off of the rim. O’Dowd got the ball and there might have been a Dragons player who signaled for a timeout that O’Dowd did not have – a technical foul on the Dragons, if that is what happened and if the officials had seen that.

Here is one video I could find but not of the play in question. BTW, from here you can't really tell but on TV it appears there was a foul. There was a two minute delay or so to work out the time and which is why the first FT was airballed in my opinion. player was frozen at the line. Just added to the drama! btw, Mater Dei is an amazing team.

Mater Dei falls in OT to Bishop O'Dowd in Open Division title game - LA Times