The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 21, 2015, 09:36am
Get away from me, Steve.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but whether the officials work one or two games in the first weekend was known beforehand. So whether Ogelsby works or doesn't work on Sunday means nothing with respect to his technical foul last night.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2015, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but whether the officials work one or two games in the first weekend was known beforehand. So whether Ogelsby works or doesn't work on Sunday means nothing with respect to his technical foul last night.
That is correct. The opening weekend is prescheduled. The evals, plus some other factors such as prior tourney experience, result in assignments or not for the 2nd weekend (Sweet 16 & Elite 8).
Old Sat Mar 21, 2015, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refinks View Post
No, just no. If Oglesby wouldn't have been butting into the huddle its a non issue.

I know that in my association, if I whacked a coach for knocking a chair over because he was mad at HIS PLAYERS I would not be working the rest of the season. Absolutely brutal lack of common sense there
Where do you work in KS? I know that the commissioners that I work for would have no problem defending this call. Maybe it wouldn't be their favorite, but I would loose exactly zero games over it. Change the situation a bit. Would you let a coach dump a chair on the bench because he was mad at his players, or slam the clipboard down? Maybe not the best call of the tournament, but it is defensible by rule, and it's far from the worst call.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2015, 01:55pm
NFHS Official

That's a technical foul. Especially after he has been ripping the officials already. Unsporting act.

Last edited by OKREF; Sat Mar 21, 2015 at 01:59pm.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2015, 02:10pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by refinks
I know that in my association, if I whacked a coach for knocking a chair over because he was mad at HIS PLAYERS I would not be working the rest of the season. Absolutely brutal lack of common sense there
Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed
Absolutely brutal lack of common sense by Cooley for throwing a chair towards where the official stands during a full timeout?
This is an example why I avoid the phrase "common sense" in officiating. Everyone thinks they know exactly what it is, when common sense in these contexts really means, "How come everyone doesn't think like I do?"

That said, in NFHS, I have a T. NCAA enforcement has a different threshold of acceptable behavior, though. College coaches are dealing with legal adults, and therefore get away with a greater deal of swearing and other antics that shouldn't be allowed in scholastic basketball. I'm not sure where that line is among NCAA officials and supervisors; I'm leaving it those here who have been there to inform us.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2015, 02:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
This is an example why I avoid the phrase "common sense" in officiating. Everyone thinks they know exactly what it is, when common sense in these contexts really means, "How come everyone doesn't think like I do?"

That said, in NFHS, I have a T. NCAA enforcement has a different threshold of acceptable behavior, though. College coaches are dealing with legal adults, and therefore get away with a greater deal of swearing and other antics that shouldn't be allowed in scholastic basketball. I'm not sure where that line is among NCAA officials and supervisors; I'm leaving it those here who have been there to inform us.
I'm going to simply say that while some coaches may get the benefit of the doubt on this at the college level, the fact that he had spent the previous minutes bitching about a call pretty much eliminates that benefit.

And to whoever said (I don't feel like finding who it was) he "knocked it down", that's not even close to what happened. He threw it on purpose. The target of his ire may be in dispute, but he didn't "knock it down."
Old Sat Mar 21, 2015, 04:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Thread closed. Ban hammer found, dusted off, and used.
Closed Thread