The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry if it's a dumb question, but couldn't it be BI even if the ball doesn't seem to have a chance to go in. It looks from the overhead like the ball is just barely in the cylinder by a fraction. Everyone seems to be assuming the call was GT, but would BI be defensible in this circumstance?
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 05:15pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. View Post
The call MAY have been TECHNICALLY correct.

It is going to be hard to have consistency on that call.

One more thing that will be reviewable in the final 2 minutes next year.
It's a judgment call, it will never be reviewable.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 05:18pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Are you having a stroke?
Touché
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 05:30pm
In Time Out

That ball had no possibility of going in. An unfortunate bailout call. It appeared to be an airball and it's debatable whether it was even still above the cylinder when he touched it. Horrible way for a game to essentially end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp2x4TiYTjY

Video link ^^^ I don't know if I can embed or how.

Last edited by hbk314; Thu Mar 19, 2015 at 05:35pm.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 05:39pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Adams was just on. Said why goaltending can be supported there.

Announcers within five seconds after switching from Adams said how horrible of a call that was.

Adams shouldn't be so polite next time they have him on.
I guess for me it would depend on how he supported it. I might be able to understand making the call live from an official's angle, but to back the call based on the available replays is just silly. It was awful.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk314 View Post
I might be able to understand making the call live from an official's angle, but to back the call based on the available replays is just silly. It was awful.
That sums up my thoughts perfectly. Tough spot live, and I feel for the crew, but Adams' appearance was embarrassing. It was nice that he backed his guys, but to pretend it had a chance of going in was absurd.

I also concur with those who feel the ball was already below ring level.

Anyone else notice the C (who had the exact angle to show the airball wide) immediately look to the table and give a hand signal as if to demonstrate "a few inches short," a la football officials signaling being short of a first down?

That's when I thought they were going to get together to get the call right. Maybe his signal meant something else I'm unaware of, because they obviously didn't get together to discuss GT and they didn't get it right.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Excellent call. The defender can't be so dumb as the play a ball coming down at the rim.

It didn't have a high chance of going in but I've seem some unlikely bounces over the years. Unless it is going to completely miss the rim, the defender has to leave it alone.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 07:36pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Excellent call. The defender can't be so dumb as the play a ball coming down at the rim.

It didn't have a high chance of going in but I've seem some unlikely bounces over the years. Unless it is going to completely miss the rim, the defender has to leave it alone.
I don't see anything showing it hitting the rim or that the defender hit it before it was below the rim. He was simply going for the rebound on an absolutely awful shot, an airball, and was the victim of what will probably be the worst call of the tournament.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 07:38pm
AremRed

Quote:
I don't see anything showing it hitting the rim or that the defender hit it before it was below the rim. He was simply going for the rebound on an absolutely awful shot, an airball, and was the victim of what will probably be the worst call of the tournament.
You can honestly look at the video and say that was going to be an airball had the defender not touched it? Looks clear to me it was going to hit the rim.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

I concur that Adam's defended the call because he has to, there was no chance of the ball going in, he knew that, and he was wishy-washy on it.

The mechanics somewhat problematic...table side T did not have the angle to make this call. C had shooter and angle. Replay has both.

GET IT RIGHT! Right?

Why can't we let the official with the call take a look and change his mind.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 07:41pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
You can honestly look at the video and say that was going to be an airball had the defender not touched it? Looks clear to me it was going to hit the rim.
It may have grazed the rim. It was way long and way right. Zero chance of it going in. Horrible call with the benefit of replay.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree with you watching it live and in the video APG posted, but later on there was a side angle view showed by the network that was much more definitive. Hand hit the ball above the rim level on the way down. Great call.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 07:47pm
AremRed

Quote:
Horrible call with the benefit of replay.
What do you mean by this statement? That play was not reviewable. Are you saying it should be?
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 07:49pm
In Time Out

I'm one to be critical of refs when it is called for, but here I have to say it was a good call. Very tough one for SMU. I seriously doubt the ball had any chance of going in. But the defender should have left it alone.
I agree with Camron

Quote:

Closed Thread