The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

USC-UCLA Basket Interference? (Video)

At the 8:40 mark of the 2nd there seems to be a pretty clear-cut BI that doesn't get called. Anyone see that? If an admin could find a clip, I'd appreciate it, thanks!
Old Sun Jan 18, 2015, 04:51am
Official Forum Member

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Jan 18, 2015, 05:43am
AremRed

Basket interference.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2015, 05:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Basket interference.
Agree.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2015, 06:50am
Esteemed Forum Member

Tough Call In Real Time ...

Is the ball in the air (in the cylinder above the rim) when the net is touched? If so, nothing.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 18, 2015, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Is the ball in the air (in the cylinder above the rim) when the net is touched? If so, nothing.
Unless the basket was pulled down such that it had not returned to its normal position by the time the ball did contact the rim. That is what I have.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2015, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Unless the basket was pulled down such that it had not returned to its normal position by the time the ball did contact the rim. That is what I have.
Well, there is the whole "moving a moveable ring" aspect of BI, but I don't think that's in play here. Technically, merely touching the net while the ball is on or in the basket is BI.

In practicality, I'm fine with the no call for three reasons:

1. The ball is not affected (which I think is what Camron was implying).
2. Unless the ball is rolling around on the rim (which it was not in this case), deciding whether the net was being touched at the precise moment the ball was on the rim is an educated guess at best.
3. It's tough to trace the arm you see touching the net down to the jersey color amidst the chaos of rebounding. You could conceivably put air in the whistle and then say to yourself, "crap, who was that?" And then you're guessing when awarded points are potentially involved, and that's not good.

In summary, good no call IMO.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2015, 01:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's A Rule ??? Right ??? What ?? Wait A Minute ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
It's tough to trace the arm you see touching the net down to the jersey color amidst the chaos of rebounding. You could conceivably put air in the whistle and then say to yourself, "crap, who was that?" And then you're guessing ...
You don't have to guess. Just call double basket interference. And be sure to sell the hell out of the call, get out of Dodge, and get the ball back in play, as soon as possible.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 18, 2015 at 01:57pm.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2015, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You don't have to guess. Just call double basket interference. And be sure to sell the hell out of the call, get out of Dodge, and get the ball back in play, as soon as possible.
Ha! Actually I thought of that.....but then we have to go to the arrow, and someone will want clarification on why we went to the arrow, and the next time there's a jump ball they'll say, "see, that would have been our arrow," yada yada yada.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2015, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, there is the whole "moving a moveable ring" aspect of BI, but I don't think that's in play here.
That is exactly what happened. It wan't for long, but the basket was pulled down and it popped up to hit the ball...and #44 blue is the one who did it.

There are a few clues to telling that it was pulled down instead of just being touched....
1. The whole backboard support system dipped.
2. The net recoiled straight up into the cylinder which means it was pulled, not merely touched.

Basket should have counted.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2015, 02:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Sharp Eyes ...

Quote:
It wasn't for long, but the basket was pulled down and it popped up to hit the ball, and #44 blue is the one who did it.
It took me three slow motion replays to see it, but you're absolutely correct.

Good luck seeing this in a real game, in real time.

Old Sun Jan 18, 2015, 02:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Rock, Paper, Scissors ...

Quote:
... double basket interference.
Quote:
... then we have to go to the arrow,
Are you sure this is the correct penalty for double basket interference? See 9-14-PENALTY.

Old Sun Jan 18, 2015, 02:44pm
Administrator

I don't see BI in the video. And now for something completely different: I thought the shooter might have been fouled at the beginning of the video.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jan 18, 2015, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Are you sure this is the correct penalty for double basket interference? See 9-14-PENALTY.
There is no section 14 to Rule 9 in NFHS.

See NFHS 6-4-3e and NCAAM 9-18-5.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2015, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, there is the whole "moving a moveable ring" aspect of BI, but I don't think that's in play here. Technically, merely touching the net while the ball is on or in the basket is BI.

In practicality, I'm fine with the no call for three reasons:

1. The ball is not affected (which I think is what Camron was implying).
2. Unless the ball is rolling around on the rim (which it was not in this case), deciding whether the net was being touched at the precise moment the ball was on the rim is an educated guess at best.
3. It's tough to trace the arm you see touching the net down to the jersey color amidst the chaos of rebounding. You could conceivably put air in the whistle and then say to yourself, "crap, who was that?" And then you're guessing when awarded points are potentially involved, and that's not good.

In summary, good no call IMO.
I think the ball is very clearly affected. If you just watch the ball itself, when it hits the backboard and then rim, it bounces unnaturally high. I don't know what else could possible cause this except that the rim had been moved, which does affect the ball.

Quote:
That is exactly what happened. It wan't for long, but the basket was pulled down and it popped up to hit the ball...and #44 blue is the one who did it.

There are a few clues to telling that it was pulled down instead of just being touched....
1. The whole backboard support system dipped.
2. The net recoiled straight up into the cylinder which means it was pulled, not merely touched.

Basket should have counted.
In addition to those you listed, if you watch the video with sound, you can clearly hear the sound of the rim popping back to its initial position.