Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 07:51pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
What do you mean by this statement? That play was not reviewable. Are you saying it should be?
I'm saying I have yet to see a replay after the fact that justifies it. I can see how it would be tough real-time.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

What is the point of this thread? Are we using this play to get better or to take votes on "worst call of the tournament" - which is really, an absolutely ridiculous claim. I've been reading a long time, and although only recently began sporadic posting, often wonder how many people ragging on challenging calls like this are actually officials.

If we aren't using the video to get better, what is the point? Three pages of comments and very few takeaways or rules investigation.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
What is the point of this thread? Are we using this play to get better or to take votes on "worst call of the tournament" - which is really, an absolutely ridiculous claim. I've been reading a long time, and although only recently began sporadic posting, often wonder how many people ragging on challenging calls like this are actually officials.

If we aren't using the video to get better, what is the point? Three pages of comments and very few takeaways or rules investigation.
hbk isn't an official
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
hbk isn't an official
No surprising. I'm just waiting for someone to request that you post full game film from every tournament game with an excel spreadsheet of every play, graded by you as correct or incorrect.

I think video is an excellent tool and we all are in your debt for your work. but the requests seem to become less about learning and more about complaining around this time each year.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 09:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
hbk isn't an official
He shows up to rip officials and entertain us.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone have any insight as to what the C might've been indicating by his hands-apart "this many inches" signal right after the whistle blew?

Just like an NFL official demonstrating how short a team is of a first down after a measurement.

He did it right away and walked toward the table. I assumed he was saying "it was 6 inches wide of the hoop" and I anticipated a review, but that was before I knew this call is not reviewable.

Perhaps it was some way of saying, "I have a 3. Let's go to the monitor to confirm that" (which they did).
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 09:51pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
Perhaps it was some way of saying, "I have a 3. Let's go to the monitor to confirm that" (which they did).
That's what I think it is. When they show the officials going to the monitor the official does the signal again to the scorer showing that he had a three.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
Anyone have any insight as to what the C might've been indicating by his hands-apart "this many inches" signal right after the whistle blew?

Just like an NFL official demonstrating how short a team is of a first down after a measurement.

He did it right away and walked toward the table. I assumed he was saying "it was 6 inches wide of the hoop" and I anticipated a review, but that was before I knew this call is not reviewable.

Signaling he had a three...no need to go w/a full touchdown signal in this instance.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 10:23pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
He shows up to rip officials and entertain us.
I'm not ripping officials in this case. I'm judging the call based on the rule posted in this thread.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk314 View Post
I'm not ripping officials in this case. I'm judging the call based on the rule posted in this thread.
Well, either you don't understand the rule or your idea of possibility of entering the basket is off.

If it is coming down such that it will hit the rim, it has some chance of going in even if that chance is very small. The defender has to leave it alone until after it his and bounces back out or is CLEARLY going to fall short of the rim.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 01:23am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Well, either you don't understand the rule or your idea of possibility of entering the basket is off.

If it is coming down such that it will hit the rim, it has some chance of going in even if that chance is very small. The defender has to leave it alone until after it his and bounces back out or is CLEARLY going to fall short of the rim.
Well that would be an interpretation beyond the text in the rule.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 02:32am
NFHS Official

Quote:
No it isn't.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

Have to admit I thought the officials had blown this one. From the usual broadcast angle it appeared the ball was below the rim and wide right (i.e., did not have a chance of going in). No question on it being a try or on downward flight.

Looking at the other angles the ball was contacted above the rim and, as has already been stated, still had a chance of going in. Great call by the official who had the best look at it. Clutch call that I hope I have the guts to make when put in the same situation.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 07:17am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Only for a non-official who questions something, gets an answer, then continues to question it. You'll never be satisfied, so what is your purpose with continuing the conversation?
Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 07:37am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Only for a non-official who questions something, gets an answer, then continues to question it. You'll never be satisfied, so what is your purpose with continuing the conversation?
Because it was at best going to glance off the side of the rim and fall harmlessly to the floor. It was never going in.
Closed Thread