The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Question "Traveling out of bounds" (Video)

Did anyone see the play in the Butler - Texas game? The official signaled traveling when the in-bounder went outside of his designated area. I thought the signal for this was just an open hand, then point to the spot. I didn't think traveling was a signal for an out of bounds play. Can someone fill me in?
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osf777 View Post
Did anyone see the play in the Butler - Texas game? The official signaled traveling when the in-bounder went outside of his designated area. I thought the signal for this was just an open hand, then point to the spot. I didn't think traveling was a signal for an out of bounds play. Can someone fill me in?
You are correct about the signal. Unfortunately not enough people know the proper signal and continue to use the wrong signal. Even though it was correctly called, the wrong signal perpetuates various myths regarding what is lor is not legal on throwins.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 02:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
You are correct. Sometimes, D1 refs get by with sloppy mechanics. Some AAU coach somewhere from my past was watching this and now thinks I was an idiot for calling a T on him for arguing about whether the other team traveled on a throw in.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 02:59pm
AremRed

Quote:
There is no official signal for an inbounding violation, but some officials incorrectly use the travel signal. I get why they use the travel signal but there is nothing related to traveling that applies to the thrower. I think a better signal is the one Bryan Kersey gives here before he whacks Coach K.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Some AAU coach somewhere from my past was watching this and now thinks I was an idiot for calling a T on him for arguing about whether the other team traveled on a throw in.
I wouldn't give an AAU coach that much credit.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 03:08pm
AremRed

Quote:
You are correct. Sometimes, D1 refs get by with sloppy mechanics. Some AAU coach somewhere from my past was watching this and still thinks I was an idiot for calling a T on him for arguing about whether the other team traveled on a throw in.
Fixed that for ya.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 03:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Fixed that for ya.
True enough.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's so disappointing to see guys at the highest level perpetuating this myth.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 04:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Full Agreement ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
... the wrong signal perpetuates various myths regarding what is or is not legal on throwins.
Quote:
Some AAU coach somewhere from my past was watching this and now thinks I was an idiot for calling a T on him for arguing about whether the other team traveled on a throw in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILRef80 View Post
It's so disappointing to see guys at the highest level perpetuating this myth.
Bingo. Bingo. Bingo.

Things Officials Should Probably Not Be Saying In A Game

"Don't move”, said to an inbounding player, by an official, before a designated spot throw-in, is another statement that should probably go unsaid. According to the rules, that player can move laterally within a three foot wide area, can jump up, and can move as far back as time, and space, will allow. Better statement: “Designated spot”, while pointing to the spot.

The Most Misunderstood Basketball Rules

A player inbounding the ball may step on, but not over the line. During a designated spot throwin, the player inbounding the ball must keep one foot on or over the three-foot wide designated spot. An inbounding player is allowed to jump or move one or both feet. A player inbounding the ball may move backward as far as the five-second time limit or space allows. If player moves outside the three-foot wide designated spot it is a throwin violation, not traveling. In gymnasiums with limited space outside the sidelines and endlines, a defensive player may be asked to step back no more than three feet. A player inbounding the ball may “dribble” the ball on the out-of-bounds area prior to making a throwin. After a goal, or awarded goal, the team not credited with the score shall make the throw-in from any point outside the end line. A team retains this “run the endline” privilege if a timeout is called during the dead ball period after the goal. Any player of the team may make a direct throw-in, or may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate outside the boundary line.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

I debate whether he did not have a foot over the 3-foot area...and I despise Texas.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 05:03pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. View Post
I debate whether he did not have a foot over the 3-foot area...and I despise Texas.
I also thought he kept at least one foot over the 3 foot area at least until the time he called a timeout. Also disagree with the travel mechanic for this sort of violation.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 06:06pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Video Request

APG:

Can you pull video of this infraction??
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 06:23pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
APG:

Can you pull video of this infraction??
I'm sure he would if you could find the timestamp so he doesn't have to search for it!
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
There is no official signal for an inbounding violation, but some officials incorrectly use the travel signal.
I think a better signal is the one Bryan Kersey gives here before he whacks Coach K.
It is signal 26 in this version of the chart: http://www.ovyl.org/documents/2013/1...nd-signals.gif

Last edited by Camron Rust; Thu Mar 19, 2015 at 09:51pm.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 10:02am
High Five Master

guilty

I'll admit I, prior to becoming an official, believed this myth and just thought that was the call when it happened. I recall Kyle Singler from Duke being called for it in a game a few years ago after he started to run the endline on a spot throw. I just thought it was the way it was done. Sometimes we forget, as officials, that most people have no clue what is going on and that is only made worse when high level officials continue to make the mistake of using that mechanic.