The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 20, 2014, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Video Request: Dec. 19 Arizona-UTEP Traveling???

Not sure if the video gurus are able to secure clips from FOX 1 but it sure would be great to take a look at three potential travel plays. I describe them as potential as all three were allowed but they looked like traveling to me.

I am currently struggling when a player driving to the basket who then plants a foot (which to me is his pivot foot), and then spins away from the defender and swings that foot around and uses it to propel himself into a jump shot.

The plays occurred at:

#32 white 11:32 left in first half

#5 blue 8:53 left in first half

#5 blue 19:31 left in second half

Thanks for any help any one can provide.
Old Sat Dec 20, 2014, 03:47pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaZebra View Post
Not sure if the video gurus are able to secure clips from FOX 1 but it sure would be great to take a look at three potential travel plays. I describe them as potential as all three were allowed but they looked like traveling to me.

I am currently struggling when a player driving to the basket who then plants a foot (which to me is his pivot foot), and then spins away from the defender and swings that foot around and uses it to propel himself into a jump shot.

The plays occurred at:

#32 white 11:32 left in first half

#5 blue 8:53 left in first half

#5 blue 19:31 left in second half

Thanks for any help any one can provide.

1. This move is used all the time.

2. It is a travel.

3. It almost never gets called.

I called it in my BV game this week and the coaches on the bench reacted violently. Hard to blame them. They see the same move on tv so often without a whistle.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Dec 22, 2014, 09:02pm
Eschew obfuscation.

Here are the requested plays:

Old Mon Dec 22, 2014, 10:04pm
Courageous When Prudent

all three were travels, that seldom get calls at either the college or high school level.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2014, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
all three were travels, that seldom get calls at either the college or high school level.
Yup.

It's odd to me that this one has become like the "2" step play on drives to the hole. Something illegal but accepted. I don't think the spin move is as difficult to see as the drive, as far as when the ball is gathered.

I think it would easy to "POE" this play back in line with the rules, if those in charge wanted to.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2014, 01:03am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicGuy View Post

I think it would easy to "POE" this play back in line with the rules, if those in charge wanted to.
It was a POE several years ago. More than once, I think. It ain't working.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Dec 23, 2014, 01:22am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
It was a POE several years ago. More than once, I think. It ain't working.
Just like the "automatic" hand checks. I turn on the TV and see it being called RSBQ-style.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2014, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Agree Zona, those are travels by the book, but for some reason they are allowed. If that move is made quickly I can see allowing it since the end of the dribble is tough to decipher, but all three of those look pretty obvious. In my high school games those are travels.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2014, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

All 3 were horrible travels that give the offense a huge advantage and should be called regardless of level. I called one like this just last night in a game and got no lip from anyone.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2014, 03:52pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindolbat View Post
All 3 were horrible travels that give the offense a huge advantage and should be called regardless of level. I called one like this just last night in a game and got no lip from anyone.
I hear ya about the horrible travel but I don't think they got a huge advantage from these. In each video they spin, twirl, and pirouette into worse offensive positions than they were before, causing them to take extremely difficult contested shots.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2014, 06:01pm
In Time Out

first two just looked like good spin moves to me. I'm not calling the travel on them. Third one though looked like travel.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2014, 08:45pm
We don't rent pigs

None of these are close to being legal. For those who say: This is a travel, but it is not called at (whatever) level. Is this okay with you? Do you not call it either because you've been instructed not to? Or because nobody else does and you don't want to be the only one? Or what?

I call it when I see it and all of these in the video were very easy to see, in my opinion.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Dec 23, 2014, 09:05pm
In Time Out

I don't know...spin moves like these have been around for a long time. They are unusual and when players do them I usually think it is a sign of skill and I rarely see travels called on these calls. When I slow the second one down I see it but I'm not positive the first one is a travel. I thought the third one was but now all I'm seeing is a good spin move, with the pivot foot established and he steps through with the other foot (and gets blocked)
I can see how you can argue that in the third video the earlier foot is the pivot and not the second one closer to the key but I'm good with the first and third not being called. In the second I think it is clear his pivot foot is set then comes down again.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2014, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Not saying they are or aren't travels, but considering a man that has worked the Final 4 multiple times over the past few years was the one on two of those plays, he must be doing a lot more right than wrong.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2014, 11:20pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt S. View Post
Not saying they are or aren't travels, but considering a man that has worked the Final 4 multiple times over the past few years was the one on two of those plays, he must be doing a lot more right than wrong.
Yeah, they don't call it there, either.

Lonesome Dove