The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   "Traveling out of bounds" (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99542-traveling-out-bounds-video.html)

osf777 Thu Mar 19, 2015 02:45pm

"Traveling out of bounds" (Video)

Did anyone see the play in the Butler - Texas game? The official signaled traveling when the in-bounder went outside of his designated area. I thought the signal for this was just an open hand, then point to the spot. I didn't think traveling was a signal for an out of bounds play. Can someone fill me in?

Camron Rust Thu Mar 19, 2015 02:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by osf777 (Post 958186)
Did anyone see the play in the Butler - Texas game? The official signaled traveling when the in-bounder went outside of his designated area. I thought the signal for this was just an open hand, then point to the spot. I didn't think traveling was a signal for an out of bounds play. Can someone fill me in?

You are correct about the signal. Unfortunately not enough people know the proper signal and continue to use the wrong signal. Even though it was correctly called, the wrong signal perpetuates various myths regarding what is lor is not legal on throwins.

Adam Thu Mar 19, 2015 02:58pm

Quote:

You are correct. Sometimes, D1 refs get by with sloppy mechanics. Some AAU coach somewhere from my past was watching this and now thinks I was an idiot for calling a T on him for arguing about whether the other team traveled on a throw in.

AremRed Thu Mar 19, 2015 02:59pm

Quote:

There is no official signal for an inbounding violation, but some officials incorrectly use the travel signal. I get why they use the travel signal but there is nothing related to traveling that applies to the thrower. I think a better signal is the one Bryan Kersey gives here before he whacks Coach K.

jpgc99 Thu Mar 19, 2015 03:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 958194)
Some AAU coach somewhere from my past was watching this and now thinks I was an idiot for calling a T on him for arguing about whether the other team traveled on a throw in.

I wouldn't give an AAU coach that much credit.

AremRed Thu Mar 19, 2015 03:08pm

Quote:

You are correct. Sometimes, D1 refs get by with sloppy mechanics. Some AAU coach somewhere from my past was watching this and still thinks I was an idiot for calling a T on him for arguing about whether the other team traveled on a throw in.

Fixed that for ya. :D

Adam Thu Mar 19, 2015 03:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 958200)
Fixed that for ya. :D

True enough. :)

ILRef80 Thu Mar 19, 2015 03:17pm

Quote:

It's so disappointing to see guys at the highest level perpetuating this myth. :mad:

BillyMac Thu Mar 19, 2015 04:15pm

Full Agreement ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 958193)
... the wrong signal perpetuates various myths regarding what is or is not legal on throwins.

Quote:

Some AAU coach somewhere from my past was watching this and now thinks I was an idiot for calling a T on him for arguing about whether the other team traveled on a throw in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILRef80 (Post 958203)
It's so disappointing to see guys at the highest level perpetuating this myth.

Bingo. Bingo. Bingo.

Things Officials Should Probably Not Be Saying In A Game

"Don't move”, said to an inbounding player, by an official, before a designated spot throw-in, is another statement that should probably go unsaid. According to the rules, that player can move laterally within a three foot wide area, can jump up, and can move as far back as time, and space, will allow. Better statement: “Designated spot”, while pointing to the spot.

The Most Misunderstood Basketball Rules

A player inbounding the ball may step on, but not over the line. During a designated spot throwin, the player inbounding the ball must keep one foot on or over the three-foot wide designated spot. An inbounding player is allowed to jump or move one or both feet. A player inbounding the ball may move backward as far as the five-second time limit or space allows. If player moves outside the three-foot wide designated spot it is a throwin violation, not traveling. In gymnasiums with limited space outside the sidelines and endlines, a defensive player may be asked to step back no more than three feet. A player inbounding the ball may “dribble” the ball on the out-of-bounds area prior to making a throwin. After a goal, or awarded goal, the team not credited with the score shall make the throw-in from any point outside the end line. A team retains this “run the endline” privilege if a timeout is called during the dead ball period after the goal. Any player of the team may make a direct throw-in, or may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate outside the boundary line.

Reffing Rev. Thu Mar 19, 2015 04:33pm

I debate whether he did not have a foot over the 3-foot area...and I despise Texas.

Sharpshooternes Thu Mar 19, 2015 05:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. (Post 958222)
I debate whether he did not have a foot over the 3-foot area...and I despise Texas.

I also thought he kept at least one foot over the 3 foot area at least until the time he called a timeout. Also disagree with the travel mechanic for this sort of violation.

justacoach Thu Mar 19, 2015 06:06pm

Video Request

APG:

Can you pull video of this infraction??

AremRed Thu Mar 19, 2015 06:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach (Post 958252)
APG:

Can you pull video of this infraction??

I'm sure he would if you could find the timestamp so he doesn't have to search for it!

Camron Rust Thu Mar 19, 2015 09:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 958195)
There is no official signal for an inbounding violation, but some officials incorrectly use the travel signal.
I think a better signal is the one Bryan Kersey gives here before he whacks Coach K.

It is signal 26 in this version of the chart: http://www.ovyl.org/documents/2013/1...nd-signals.gif

BlueDevilRef Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:02am

guilty

I'll admit I, prior to becoming an official, believed this myth and just thought that was the call when it happened. I recall Kyle Singler from Duke being called for it in a game a few years ago after he started to run the endline on a spot throw. I just thought it was the way it was done. Sometimes we forget, as officials, that most people have no clue what is going on and that is only made worse when high level officials continue to make the mistake of using that mechanic.