The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 21, 2015, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
That sign uses "gay" as an insult and a slur. It is unacceptable in our society, including at a sporting contest.
The correct answer is to stop the game and notify the game admin to have the sign removed. Sticking your head in the sand and thinking that this type of behavior is someone else's problem is not being a positive participant in progress and actually contributes to a continuance of the problem.
I don't disagree that this is unacceptable and as an administrator I would have the sign removed. But as a ref I am there to concentrate on the game (may not even notice the signs depending on how big the venue is) and until it affects the game I won't address it. If their yelling slurs, profanity, etc. then I'm with you. Signs, cheers, or innocuous chants that don't rise to the level of interference are left to admin.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2015, 04:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Another WTF moment from the Silver State.

Have you ever been banned from living in a state? When I was an infant my parents and I were banned from 17 states by the military. Maybe bullcrap like that led to that Olympic moment. Not that you are one to realize there are life experiences outside of what your brain can conceptualize.
That was wrong then and it would be wrong now. Personally, I don't have any stories to match yours. Hopefully that is because our society has progressed during my lifetime. I can tell you that my mother was prevented from certain things while in the US Air Force simply because of being female. That seems somewhat similar to what you unfortunately had to experience.

My belief is that having signs that express racial sentiments is unacceptable. Period. I don't care what group they are advocating or denouncing.

I sincerely hope that you wouldn't claim that it would be okay for students to hold signs reading "Black" & "Power" because of past wrongs in this country?

I don't see any such slogans as helpful or positive for our current society or it's future. Of course, I also don't believe that we should have Black History Month or a Congressional Black Caucus. Just the same we shouldn't have Latino, Caucasian, or Asian based ones either. Those only serve to segregate, divide, and classify people based upon race. That is what we should be striving to cease doing. Why can't we just have a History month?

People don't seem to look at our racial issues in a reverse manner and see that some situations intended to promote or help minorities actually come across as offensive and non-inclusive. For example, consider the TV channel named "Black Entertainment Television." What would your feeling be towards one named White Entertainment Television or Asian Entertainment Television? Would you find it offensive? Would you have any desire to watch it? Would you feel excluded by the name or the programming agenda?
Old Sat Feb 21, 2015, 05:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
I don't disagree that this is unacceptable and as an administrator I would have the sign removed. But as a ref I am there to concentrate on the game (may not even notice the signs depending on how big the venue is) and until it affects the game I won't address it. If their yelling slurs, profanity, etc. then I'm with you. Signs, cheers, or innocuous chants that don't rise to the level of interference are left to admin.
If you don't see it that's one thing, but if a player or coach points it out to you I believe that you have a duty as a game official to take appropriate action. We can all discuss what that should be, but ignoring it certainly isn't correct.

Btw has anyone seen the stories on this incident?
http://fox40.com/2015/01/20/st-marys...acial-tension/

http://m.kcra.com/news/usa-chant-at-...cheer/30831388

Last edited by Nevadaref; Sat Feb 21, 2015 at 05:12am.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2015, 10:11am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
That was wrong then and it would be wrong now. Personally, I don't have any stories to match yours. Hopefully that is because our society has progressed during my lifetime. I can tell you that my mother was prevented from certain things while in the US Air Force simply because of being female. That seems somewhat similar to what you unfortunately had to experience...
In 1968 Blacks were institutionally and legally treated as less than human in many parts of this nation. Were Blacks only supposed to engage in warm and cuddly forms of protests? Do you have any idea what types humiliation Carlos and Lewis suffered in their lives that led to that display at the Olympics? You are comparing their experiences and message to those kids from this article? Seriously?

And your mother being prevented from doing a few things is different than 17 states telling the Air Force that my father's interracial marriage and biracial child were legally unwelcome from being stationed within their borders. What form of protest is acceptable to you under those conditions?

Last edited by Raymond; Sat Feb 21, 2015 at 10:40am.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2015, 10:14am
Get away from me, Steve.

Get the AD to take care of it and put the ball in play. Shouldn't take a minute.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2015, 10:15am
Official Fiveum Member

Quote:
Kind of ironic that this link is to a basketball story on a channel called "Fox 40".
Old Sat Feb 21, 2015, 10:27am
Official & Member

I see no reason to concern ones self with cr@p in the stands, regardless of the degree of offensiveness. We have a heck of a lot more to worry about between the lines. If its large or significant enough for us to notice, then the administrator on duty can sure as heck see it as well. That's their concern and role. Would we want and administrator offering up opinions on uniform rules?

If it's not affecting the game flow, players or officials, leave it alone. As it's been advocated here many times in the past...don't go looking for trouble.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2015, 10:54am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Google it. Isn't isn't an obscure reference.
I knew the reference, but hadn't looked at the original story yet (my fault) to make the connection.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2015, 10:56am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
You don't consider that a slur?
Old Sat Feb 21, 2015, 11:18am
Get away from me, Steve.

Last night I was working a BV game and I went to the end of the bleachers to stretch my hips and calf muscles, like I usually do.

There I saw a small airhorn, brought in by a fan.

I said nothing, but since the AD was nearby taking care of a spill, I whispered something into his ear. A few minutes later, I saw the AD with the airhorn.

We can take care of stuff without it looking like we're making a Federal case out of it.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2015, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you don't see it that's one thing, but if a player or coach points it out to you I believe that you have a duty as a game official to take appropriate action.
Agree with this 100%. If a player or coach points it out then I believe it is now having an affect on the game, at least from their perspective, so I would ask the game admin to have it removed. That doesn't mean every sign they object to should go just because they don't like it but if the signs content or intent is racial, contain slurs, denagrade any group, or are too "over the top hurtful" in nature and its pointed out to me I will address it.

Its no different than dealing with those fans who think because they bought a ticket they can say or do what they want. If a fan is yelling at the players, coaches, or referees (no matter how obnoxious) but is not cursing, getting racial, or going deeply personal then I would ignore it. But when they become profane, obscene, bring up personal matters, etc. and a player or coach complains to me about it (or I hear it) then I will address it with administrators - especially in my high school games as we are dealing with minors on the court who do not deserve such treatment.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2015, 03:41pm
In Time Out

The 1968 Protest is one of the greatest moments in Olympic history. Reading about what they did, including the Australian(3rd place) who offered support, makes me proud to be an American. When people aren't treated equally, a protest, especially a highly visible one like the one in the Olympics, is a perfectly legitimate form of expression.

Last edited by Adam; Sun Feb 22, 2015 at 11:26am. Reason: took out the political part that's not relevant to this discussion
Old Sat Feb 21, 2015, 03:51pm
In Time Out

http://fox40.com/2015/01/20/st-marys...acial-tension/

I've used to live in that area. It is a diverse place. But there are some bratty students especially at St Mary's which is a typical Catholic sporting powerhouse. I mean Lodi fought against having MLK day but they have progressed a lot since then. This was just one unfortunate incident.
They will crack down on it hard.

Last edited by Adam; Sun Feb 22, 2015 at 11:22am. Reason: irrelevant part
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
Along these lines, I heard the student section yelling "GINGER" at an opposing player when he was on the free throw line. I told the home administrator about it and the guys asked me "is he redheaded?", to which I answered yes, and the guys then said "well then he's a ginger" and walked off. Ok then. I was under the impression that was a derogatory term?
You're right it is. Especially, in that context. Not racist, but a slur for sure.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 01:50am
We don't rent pigs

2-8-1 Note: When team supporter become unruly or interfere with the orderly progress of the game, the officials shall stop the game until the host management resolves the situation..........

Frankly, I can't imagine anything on a sign which would interfere with the orderly progress of the game.

Lonesome Dove