The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 20, 2015, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Inappropriate Fan Signs

I don't think there's any rule book discussion about this, but it may still be of interest. http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/2...er-signs.html/
Old Fri Feb 20, 2015, 03:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabard View Post
I don't think there's any rule book discussion about this, but it may still be of interest. http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/2...er-signs.html/
If I'm personally offended (hostile work environment), I'll report it to game management (and probably make a smart a$$ comment to the offenders). Otherwise, anything offensive will probably receive complaints from other fans, or even visiting coaches, and get dealt with.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Feb 20, 2015 at 03:11pm.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2015, 03:08pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

I am not making this up. The best spectator sign I ever saw was many years ago when I was watching a UCLA-USC basketball game on TV. A student in the UCLA section had a sign that said, "FLUSH USED TROJANS".
Old Fri Feb 20, 2015, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Along these lines, I heard the student section yelling "GINGER" at an opposing player when he was on the free throw line. I told the home administrator about it and the guys asked me "is he readheaded?", to which I answered yes, and the guys then said "well then he's a ginger" and walked off. Ok then. I was under the impression that was a derogatory term?

Last edited by ballgame99; Fri Feb 20, 2015 at 04:07pm.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2015, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

If I'm going to address a sign in the the stands it would have to be so incredibly egregious ( homophobic, racist etc) and recent enough that game management hasn't seen it

Baseball has a great philosophy for dealing with nonsense in the stands. Let the people who deal with the stands, deal with it. Your job is to deal with the field.
It seems like people are too busy paying attention to whats going on in the stands they might be missing an important part of the game that they do have jurisdiction over.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2015, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

But it was okay to advocate at the 1968 Olympics with such a slogan as that was considered a political statement on human rights. ?!?!

When will our society realize that ALL such messages are inherently racial and unacceptable.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2015, 05:36pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
Along these lines, I heard the student section yelling "GINGER" at an opposing player when he was on the free throw line.
When I was in HS (right after Noah and the flood) we used to yell the following at opponents when they were shooting FTs:

"See that basket, see that ball, come on stupid, hit the wall."
Old Fri Feb 20, 2015, 06:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
But it was okay to advocate at the 1968 Olympics with such a slogan as that was considered a political statement on human rights. ?!?!

When will our society realize that ALL such messages are inherently racial and unacceptable.
I'm not sure what you're referring to in the first part.

I agree with the 2nd part.

Frankly, in ballgame99's case, I'd follow up with a message to the state and let them deal with it.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2015, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I'm not sure what you're referring to in the first part.
Google it. Isn't isn't an obscure reference.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2015, 06:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

1968 Olympics ...

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Feb 20, 2015, 06:57pm
This Space Available

My personal favorite was at an NHL game where someone held a sign up to the ref that said "Hey Dan. I think you're pregnant. You've missed two entire periods."

Completely not basketball related but hey. Points for creativity.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2015, 09:08pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Would you do something about this one?

Old Fri Feb 20, 2015, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
No. If game management has an issue with it tgen they can handle it but until it starts to affect the game then I'm not getting involved (and no, I don't think hurting a players feelngs is enough). Admin cachoose to handle signs they deem offensive, obtrusive, or inappropriate as they see fit.

Although it is insensitive and politically incorrect, the above is a creatively funny way to negate the other sign.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2015, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
No. If game management has an issue with it tgen they can handle it but until it starts to affect the game then I'm not getting involved (and no, I don't think hurting a players feelngs is enough). Admin cachoose to handle signs they deem offensive, obtrusive, or inappropriate as they see fit.

Although it is insensitive and politically incorrect, the above is a creatively funny way to negate the other sign.
That sign uses "gay" as an insult and a slur. It is unacceptable in our society, including at a sporting contest.
The correct answer is to stop the game and notify the game admin to have the sign removed. Sticking your head in the sand and thinking that this type of behavior is someone else's problem is not being a positive participant in progress and actually contributes to a continuance of the problem.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2015, 10:40pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

Another WTF moment from the Silver State.

Have you ever been banned from living in a state? When I was an infant my parents and I were banned from 17 states by the military. Maybe bullcrap like that led to that Olympic moment. Not that you are one to realize there are life experiences outside of what your brain can conceptualize.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Feb 20, 2015 at 10:55pm.