The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Stoppage to reset shot clock

Hi all,
I am a coach and went to watch two of my ex players play each other at the JC level. No real bias so feel like this is an accurate description of the situation and found this play interesting.

Tie game with about 1 minute to play and the offense has 25+ seconds on the shot clock when a player on the wing throws a bizarre pass toward the opposite short corner. The pass hits the rim and bounces directly to an offensive player at the elbow. Because everyone was shifting following the pass there is a wide open lane to the basket. Offensive player takes a dribble toward a wide open layup and as he gathers for the shot there is a whistle. Offensive player scores the wide open layup that could have put them up two. The Official saw that the shot clock was not reset, killed the play, and signaled for a reset of the shot clock. Offense fails to score on ensuing possession and loses.

I am not saying this cost anyone a game or denying that this was a correct ruling but curious about you professional officials opinion of a situation like this. Is this a no brainer call it regardless of what may or not be about to occur or is there some judgment that can be made?

Last edited by BDevil15; Sun Feb 08, 2015 at 09:35pm. Reason: Words
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 04:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

OK, a clock was reset. We do not have video or anything to go by other than what you say. It is a judgment call, it is that simple. There is no hard fast rule. There is no automatic call or situation. It is simply a judgment and reading words on a screen is not going to change that fact. And if that play would cost someone the game, you are not playing well enough in the first place.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Are you asking if the official should have waited to address the shot clock? Or whether it should have been reset?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

As JRut said, you sort of have to be there. I will say this though, if there's less than 5 seconds on the clock when it happens, I likely kill it right away, even if he moves to the hoop, because if there is little time on the clock, that effects the way the possession plays out. More than 5 and a definite move to the hoop? I probably delay, but keep a count on my own or try to get a peak at the game clock so that if he misses his layup or decides to pass, I can stop play and reset with definite knowledge.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDevil15 View Post
Official saw that the shot clock was not reset and signaled for a reset which obviously should have occurred. Offense fails to score on ensuing possession and loses.
This is not as black and white as you assume. If the ball hits the rim, for the shot clock to be reset, it must be part of a try for goal (NCAAM 2-11-6a). What is a try is a judgment.

From your account, it sounds like this was an obvious pass and not a try. If so, the shot clock operator was correct and the official should not have stopped play to reset it.

If, however, the official believed the pass was a try for goal, then I'm not quite sure of what the mechanic is here. Me thinks that if the shot clock was not reset but there was plenty of time left and an immediate scoring play ensued, I think I let that play continue (kind of like had a routine injury occurred...you wait until a scoring play is complete or the offense is no longer advancing). However, there may be a mechanic or point of emphasis or John Adams dictate that states the official must correct the error immediately. If so, the official was correct and it just sucks for the team that would have scored.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Is JRutledge always this Hostile or just because Im a coach? Like I said I was just watching a game and found the play interesting, didn't have a camera, I was a spectator. I recounted it as clearly as I could and was curious what professionals thought.

APG: Sorry I was asking if the official could make a judgment and wait to reset it if the player passed or prolonged the play in some way rather than negating that opportunity immediately.

CC55: From where I sat I thought it was definitely a pass but I could see that possibly it could be considered a try.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Rutledge is a happy crank. Play on...
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 05:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not think I am being hostile with you at all. We have no idea what happened in your play (I could have said you made no sense in your description or ripped you for trying to imply that you are just a coach that does not know the rules). I said to you we have no idea what happened in your play. You do not have video (if you see many of the posts in this site involve video) and there is no way we know what was called and why unless we talk to the official. The official made a judgment and that is what they went with. And I could have also called you names for even implying that this cost anyone a game. I did none of that. Not cranky, not upset and really do not care that much about your play, but felt it needed to be said that none of us would know anything about your specific play unless we saw the play for ourselves and that would be guessing. And even if we commented, we would not know what this official judged ultimately and might not even know what directives his/her supervisor gave them about solving these problems. But you come here almost implying that this was so incorrect that an official has no right to make a judgment.

Oh well, another fanboy on the rise.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 05:59pm
In Time Out

heh heh.

if it was a pass, no reset as Crosscountry states. But we shall leave this one for the mages.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is JRutledge always this Hostile?
Yes
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is JRutledge always this Hostile
No. Sometimes he's worse.

Oh -- on the OP: If there's a shot clock reset error (either way), I will NOT kill it if the offense is moving for an immediate try AND the error is not affecting the play.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks to those of you who were kind enough to answer the question without trying to demonstrate how unimaginably superior you are or how idiotic the question was. Appreciated. Some of you could even take it for granted that it happened even without video proof.

Fanboy out...
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 09:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
No. Sometimes he's worse.
LOL!!

Peace
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 09:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Thanks to those of you who were kind enough to answer the question without trying to demonstrate how unimaginably superior you are or how idiotic the question was. Appreciated. Some of you could even take it for granted that it happened even without video proof.

Fanboy out...
No, I am not taking your word what happened. You said it best, fanboy!!! That is what many of you are that come to this site and try to complain as if we have to take your account for things and yes we often see the video that you are refering to. Just wait until March and you will see what I am referring to and people like yourself will still argue with officials on this site (and I will not even be involved) about how the officials got something wrong and we will all have the video to disagree or agree with your fanboy assessment. Do not get mad at me because not only did you not ask a very good question (because you were so concerned to rip the officials and APG was confused by the nature of your post). Stop being so damn sensitive!!! Everything is not about your feelings.

Bye Felichia!!!

Peace
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

I was a spectator and had absolutely nothing approaching mild interest in the outcome of the game... As I said, curious situation and wondered if a majority of the professionals would have done the same. There isn't even a shot clock where I coach.