The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 28, 2005, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

B1 slams into A1 as Team A runs a play in their front court. Shot clock stopped at 19 seconds. Foul on B1, ball OOB on end line for a Team A throw in. Shot clock remains at 19 seconds.

Is the offense supposed to get a new shot clock after any/all defensive fouls?

thanks!
Old Wed Dec 28, 2005, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

I can not find anything specific in the rules to refer to off the top of my head but yes the shot clock resets on all defensive fouls. the only change to that was the kick rule this year, the clock would not reset if the time was greater than 15 seconds but if the time were less than 15 seconds the clock would be reset to 15 seconds.

Old Wed Dec 28, 2005, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by carldog
B1 slams into A1 as Team A runs a play in their front court. Shot clock stopped at 19 seconds. Foul on B1, ball OOB on end line for a Team A throw in. Shot clock remains at 19 seconds.

Is the offense supposed to get a new shot clock after any/all defensive fouls?

thanks!
Yes, the shot clock should have been reset in this play.
Old Wed Dec 28, 2005, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Assuming that you are talking about NCAA rules, then yes, the shot clock should've been reset to 30 or 35, depending on whether it was a Men's or Women's game.

If you're talking about a HS game, then nobody here knows what should've happened b/c there are no NFHS rules governing the shot clock. You'll need to check with a state association to determine what the shot clock rules are for your state.

If you're talking about an NBA game, then the officials were correct and the shot clock should remain at 19. In the NBA, if a defensive foul is committed in the frontcourt, there is no reset if there are more than 14 seconds remaining on the shot clock. If there are less than 14 seconds remaining on the shot clock, then the shot clock is set to 14.
Old Wed Dec 28, 2005, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Upstate New York high school game - I did not realize our 30 second shot clock was a local rule!

So..Dean Smith's 4-corner offense is still alive and well in other parts of the country? How about that...
Old Wed Dec 28, 2005, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Upstate New York high school game - I did not realize our 30 second shot clock was a local rule!

So..Dean Smith's 4-corner offense is still alive and well in other parts of the country? How about that...
Phil Ford lives!
Old Wed Dec 28, 2005, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

While there is no national shot clock...stall games are very rare. I maybe see it once a season or so and it usually only lasts a minute or so until the defense decides to come out of the zone. I think I've only seen it used for several minutes once or twice in several years.