The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 08, 2001, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I had a situation last week that I am getting conflicting advice on from my fellow officials. Can anyone help clear this up (preferably with some rule referece)?

Team A has posession of the ball with 10 seconds left on the shot clock. Player A1 shoots the ball and it becomes lodged between the rim and the backboard.

Since the ball hit the rim, the shot clock was reset. We then went to to AP rule and team A had the arrow and keeps the ball.

Half of me wanted to return the shot clock to 10 seconds since they are retaining possession as a result of the AP rule, but the other half of me agreed with the timer in resetting the shot clock since a shot hit the rim.

Does anyone have a rule I can fall back on?

My argument was this. Say there was only 1 second left on the shot clock, should team a get the ball back with only 1 second to shoot. That seems to be punishing them for a freak play. Worse yet, what if the buzzer went off as the shot was in the air...would they be charged with a violation even though they got a shot off and hit the rim? Would they lose the arrow since the violation would only occur if they retain possession from the AP rule???

Thanks!
Old Mon Jan 08, 2001, 04:21pm
In Memoriam

Reset

Quote:
Originally posted by SCBroncos
I had a situation last week that I am getting conflicting advice on from my fellow officials. Can anyone help clear this up (preferably with some rule referece)?

Team A has posession of the ball with 10 seconds left on the shot clock. Player A1 shoots the ball and it becomes lodged between the rim and the backboard.

Since the ball hit the rim, the shot clock was reset. We then went to to AP rule and team A had the arrow and keeps the ball.

Half of me wanted to return the shot clock to 10 seconds since they are retaining possession as a result of the AP rule, but the other half of me agreed with the timer in resetting the shot clock since a shot hit the rim.

Does anyone have a rule I can fall back on?

SC,

NCAA 2-13-6d. - Stop the timing device and reset it:
d. When a try for goal strikes the ring or flange.

Don't read more into it.

mick

Old Mon Jan 08, 2001, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Great Post!!!! and Mick's right! However I understand your thought process- I hope many tune in on this one.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

You have a shot clock try for goal, therefore no team or player control. Ball lodges (hits the ring). This is an AP throw-in that occurred while there was no control by either team. Therefore, go to the arrow and reset the shot clock. It doesn't matter who is going to get the ball. If, however, during team control, you had a simultaneous held ball, and the offensive team was going to retain possession under the AP procedure, resume play with no reset of the shot clock. This is also true if a simultaneous held ball occurs during a throw-in and the throw-in team retains possession. (NCAA 2-13-7 d,g). If, in your situation, the shot clock try is an air ball, and then two opposing players simultaneously control the ball; you have no team control, simutaneous held ball, go to the arrow and reset because neither team established intial team control prior to the held ball. Team control is the key. Hopefully I haven't confused you.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Go Broncs!

Whassup Eric! Happy new year.

I had this play happen to me last year. Because of the aforementioned rule changes, my partner questioned whether or not we should reset. I said, "it hit the rim, didn't it?" He said, "oh yeah!...RESET"

My partner was our State Rules Interpreter (MG)!

Just goes to show you, a little knowledge can be dangerous when we try to consider what's "fair". Sometimes we forget the obvious!

Keep on postin'!

Chris