The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 10:18pm
TODO: creative title here

Coach, at a juco game, I can assure you that the officials were certainly not professionals (at least, not in the sense of "this is my only job")... in fact, it's entirely possible that they weren't paid enough to cover their travel expenses.

Very few of us will ever end up at a level where this can be our only means of income.

Just something to think about...
Old Mon Feb 09, 2015, 06:26pm
This Space Available

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
This is not as black and white as you assume. If the ball hits the rim, for the shot clock to be reset, it must be part of a try for goal (NCAAM 2-11-6a). What is a try is a judgment.

From your account, it sounds like this was an obvious pass and not a try. If so, the shot clock operator was correct and the official should not have stopped play to reset it.

If, however, the official believed the pass was a try for goal, then I'm not quite sure of what the mechanic is here. Me thinks that if the shot clock was not reset but there was plenty of time left and an immediate scoring play ensued, I think I let that play continue (kind of like had a routine injury occurred...you wait until a scoring play is complete or the offense is no longer advancing). However, there may be a mechanic or point of emphasis or John Adams dictate that states the official must correct the error immediately. If so, the official was correct and it just sucks for the team that would have scored.
Hey Crosscountry, I'm a HS guy and have never worked NCAA, but I'm confused on how could this be considered a try for goal. I thought that if A1 is inbounding, the ball by rule would have to be touched by another player before any try for goal could be made. So, if it hit the rim prior to touching any player direct from inbounding, it could not be considered a try and would have no impact on the shot clock. Had it gone through the basket there would be no score.

Do the NCAA rules significantly differ on this scenario? Or have I just read all these posts and confused the hell out of myself.

Rich

Last edited by Archie Lib; Mon Feb 09, 2015 at 06:33pm.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2015, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDevil15 View Post
I was a spectator and had absolutely nothing approaching mild interest in the outcome of the game... As I said, curious situation and wondered if a majority of the professionals would have done the same. There isn't even a shot clock where I coach.
Bob Jenkins gave you an excellent answer as did the poster who noted that a pass which strikes the ring does not cause a shot clock reset, it must be a try for goal. Please don't let one or two unfriendly posters chase you away from learning more about the game on this site. There are many excellent people on here who can help you and answer your questions with class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Coach, at a juco game, I can assure you that the officials were certainly not professionals (at least, not in the sense of "this is my only job")... in fact, it's entirely possible that they weren't paid enough to cover their travel expenses.

Very few of us will ever end up at a level where this can be our only means of income.

Just something to think about...
An excellent point. JC ball was $100 per game and a 90-mile trip each way when I was working that level.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2015, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie Lib View Post
Hey Crosscountry, I'm a HS guy and have never worked NCAA, but I'm confused on how could this be considered a try for goal. I thought that if A1 is inbounding, the ball by rule would have to be touched by another player before any try for goal could be made. So, if it hit the rim prior to touching any player direct from inbounding, it could not be considered a try and would have no impact on the shot clock. Had it gone through the basket there would be no score.

Do the NCAA rules significantly differ on this scenario? Or have I just read all these posts and confused the hell out of myself.

Rich
Rich....the OP was not about a throw-in. It was just a cross-court skip pass (the kind that usually make most coaches cringe).

Other than that, your assessment is correct. The shot clock would not start until the same time the game clock started, i.e. when the ball is legally touched. If a throw-in hit the rim before being touched by a player, that's not a violation in and of itself; the clocks merely start when the ball is legally touched. It would be a throw-in violation if the thrown ball entered the basket, got lodged, or came to rest on the flange. After seven years, I have yet to see this violation occur!

Incidentally, these particular ways to commit a throw-in violation are the same regardless of NFHS or NCAA rulesets.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2015, 10:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Rich....the OP was not about a throw-in. It was just a cross-court skip pass (the kind that usually make most coaches cringe).
And still this is a judgement call that none of us saw and none of use know why the officials felt the way they did either way. And usually when in doubt, you go with the reset. There might have been doubt.

Peace