The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 03:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

So Long Dean Edwards Smith, Rest In Peace ...

The "Dean Smith Rule":

A team shall not: Allow the game to develop into an actionless contest, this includes the following and similar acts: d. Contact with the free thrower or a huddle of two or more players in the lane by either team prior to a free throw following any team warning for delay.

And let's not forget that the Four Corners Offense begot the NCAA shot clock.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 08, 2015 at 03:33pm.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 05:38pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Unhappy Coach Dean Smith passes on

He passed on the evening of Saturday, Feb. 7. He was 83 years old. There are stories and videos all over the net about this. He was an extraordinary coach and leader.

Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 08:03pm
Courageous When Prudent

And he has a son who is an official, so his death touches the officiating community.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2015, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

And let's not forget that the Four Corners Offense begot the NCAA shot clock.
No it didn't. Villanova beating Georgetown in the 1985 final while only taking 28 shots, I believe only 10 in the second half, was the cause of the NCAA implementing the shot clock.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2015, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

Dean Smith only won two NCAA titles and it easily could have been zero.
If Fred Brown doesn't throw the ball to James Worthy in 1982 and Chris Webber doesn't request an excessive time-out in 1993, history could have a very different take on him.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Mon Feb 09, 2015 at 11:36am.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2015, 06:56am
Esteemed Forum Member

Unindicted Co-Conspirator ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
No it didn't. Villanova beating Georgetown in the 1985 final while only taking 28 shots, I believe only 10 in the second half, was the cause of the NCAA implementing the shot clock.
Maybe it didn't pull the trigger, but the Four Corners was there when it happened, and was an unindicted co-conspirator, or, at the least, a person of interest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_corners_offense
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Feb 09, 2015 at 07:04am.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2015, 08:24am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
If Fred Brown doesn't throw the ball to James Worthy in 1982 and Chris Webber does request an excessive time-out in 1993, history could have a very different take on him.
Really? This is the time you want to debate Dean Smith's resume'?
Old Mon Feb 09, 2015, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If Fred Brown doesn't throw the ball to James Worthy in 1982 and Chris Webber does request an excessive time-out in 1993, history could have a very different take on him.
This is the exact same faulty logic that every coach uses when they say a call in the last ten seconds is "deciding the game".
Old Mon Feb 09, 2015, 09:38am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by westneat View Post
This is the exact same faulty logic that every coach uses when they say a call in the last ten seconds is "deciding the game".
And considering the fact that UNC was already ahead of both games at the time of these boneheaded plays by their opponents, the statement is absent of logic.

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Feb 09, 2015 at 10:34am.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2015, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
IF not for key injuries and some fluke plays going the other way he could have easily won 4 or 5 national titles. What an odd and classless thing it is to point out that someone "only" won two national championships in the days after their passing.

Dean Smith is a coaching icon who has an unquestioned record as one of basketball's greatest innovators, tacticians, and winners. He is one of the main reasons that a guy who group up in VA and graduated from the Univ. of MD became a Tar Heel fan as a kid and remains one to this day.

And his record off the court is even more impressive as evidenced by the almost universal love that his players have for him decades after leaving UNC, the tremendous graduation rate during his tenure, and the equally universal reverence held by his coaching peers. He was also a quiet but strong leader on many civil rights and social justice issues for decades.

RIP Coach Smith. You left both the game of basketball and this world better than you found them.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2015, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Nope, I'm sick of this country revering athletes and coaches. Many of whom turn out to be other than the image they projected.
Glad they tore down the statue of Joe Paterno. The same should be done with several others.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2015, 11:45am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Nope, I'm sick of this country revering athletes and coaches. Many of whom turn out to be other than the image they projected.
Glad they tore down the statue of Joe Paterno. The same should be done with several others.
Just wanted to quote this so it stays up even if you come to your senses and delete it later.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2015, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
And considering the fact that UNC was already ahead of both games at the time of these boneheaded plays by their opponents, the statement is absent of logic.
What difference does that make? My point was clearly that if either team had scored with the final possession instead of committing a turnover, UNC would most likely have lost.
It's not as if UNC was leading by ten points and these plays didn't have a significant impact on the outcome of the games.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2015, 12:54pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
What difference does that make? My point was clearly that if either team had scored with the final possession instead of committing a turnover, UNC would most likely have lost.
It's not as if UNC was leading by ten points and these plays didn't have a significant impact on the outcome of the games.
And you're a lawyer?

"If" and "most likely" sound like a sore-a$$ Hoya talking.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2015, 12:54pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Yeah, no chance that Dean Smith could have just been a great guy overall.