The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 03, 2003, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

I am thinking that following basket interference or goaltending the official shall hand the ball to the thrower-in. But I can't find it in any of my books. Is it stated anywhere that the official has to "hand" the ball to the thrower-in following BI of GT....is so where? Thanks
Old Wed Sep 03, 2003, 02:47pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Try : Rule 7-5.3, 7-5.7, 7-5.2,
Case 7.5.7
Officials Manual 220
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Mick,
I read those rules but could not determine if team B throws in from the spot or has the baseline. It IS a basket (awarded one though)?
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by wizard
Mick,
I read those rules but could not determine if team B throws in from the spot or has the baseline. It IS a basket (awarded one though)?
A can run the baseline after a made or awarded basket by B.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 04:03pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by wizard
Mick,

YU.P.
... What Dan said.

If it counts let 'em run with the ball; it doesn't matter if they get a bounce, or have the ball handed to them due to defensive pressure.
mick
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 04:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
[B
A can run the baseline after a made or awarded basket by B. [/B]
Dan,
I haven't forgotten you.
Been busy.
Thanks.
mick
Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

The purpose of the original question (should the official hand or bounce the ball to the thrower-in following basket interference or goaltending) was to see what responses would be given since the rules/case/simplified & illustrated books give diffferent answers. It is a given that no fan or coach would not know the difference and most officals would not know either.

Rule Book 2003-04::Page 59, Rule 11 Section 12 Penalty 1.--if goaltending occurs at the opponents basket, "the official shall HAND the ball to a player of the team entitled to the throw-in".

Simplified & Illustrated 2003-04::Page66, Rule 9-11-1, Case play at bottom of page--For basket interference "the official HANDS or BOUNCES the ball to a team B player for a throw-in anywhere along the end line nearest team A's basket"

Case Book 2003-04::Page 60, Rule 9.0--Middle of page Basket interference or goaltending "the official MUST HAND or BOUNCE the ball to the thrower."

Obviously the Books are not consistent with each other. To be redundant, if the books are not consistent then no one in the gym would know what is proper. However, when in doubt I do what the rule book says. I was just curious was to what answers would be given on the board.
Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 08:20am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by APHP
The purpose of the original question (should the official hand or bounce the ball to the thrower-in following basket interference or goaltending) was to see what responses would be given since the rules/case/simplified & illustrated books give diffferent answers.
APHP,
Interesting.
Yet, I think the important point made is that the opponent of the awarded basket may not simply take the ball at will,
the official shall stop the clock and the official shall administer the ball.
mick

BTW:

Rule Book 2003-04::Page 59, Rule 9 Section 12 Penalty 1.--if goaltending occurs at the opponents basket, "the official shall HAND the ball to a player of the team entitled to the throw-in".
Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

It's no different than any other throw-in that's to be administered. You can hand it to the thrower or bounce it to him/her. I think you're getting to wrapped up in the semantics. The rule book simply hasn't been changed to reflect that we can now bounce the ball to the thrower, not that it necessarily needs to be.
Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 09:15am
Get away from me, Steve.

Methinks that you are being a little anal

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if this is just one that got by the rules editor. A mechanics change was made allowing a bounce, but that doesn't always mean that the change makes it over to the rule book.

And if it is a mechanics question, I would let the mechanics manual(s) win out over the rule book.

Rich
Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 11:03am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Talk to your head people.

We were told to hand the ball on all endline throw-ins. Guys were leaving the line too early when they were bouncing the ball. Your state might have a specific take on this, that the mechanics book does not support.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Actually, I don't think they are inconsistant as you suggest....
Quote:
The purpose of the original question (should the official hand or bounce the ball to the thrower-in following basket interference or goaltending) was to see what responses would be given since the rules/case/simplified & illustrated books give diffferent answers. It is a given that no fan or coach would not know the difference and most officals would not know either.

Rule Book 2003-04::Page 59, Rule 11 Section 12 Penalty 1.--if goaltending occurs at the opponents basket, "the official shall HAND the ball to a player of the team entitled to the throw-in".
The GT was by the defense at the offensive teams basket. The throwin will be on the endline. All endline throwins in the frontcourt are handed to the thrower.

Quote:
Simplified & Illustrated 2003-04::Page66, Rule 9-11-1, Case play at bottom of page--For basket interference "the official HANDS or BOUNCES the ball to a team B player for a throw-in anywhere along the end line nearest team A's basket"
This one was was at A's basket and since B's getting the ball, A committed the violation. The throwin is along the endline but in B backcourt since it was at A's basket.

In the backcourt, all throwins can be bounced or handed.

Quote:

Case Book 2003-04::Page 60, Rule 9.0--Middle of page Basket interference or goaltending "the official MUST HAND or BOUNCE the ball to the thrower."
Correct. It must be one or the other. We can't let the player just grab the dead ball and resume play.

Quote:

Obviously the Books are not consistent with each other. To be redundant, if the books are not consistent then no one in the gym would know what is proper. However, when in doubt I do what the rule book says. I was just curious was to what answers would be given on the board.
They are consistent.

• Frontcourt endline throwin...the official must hand the ball to the thrower.
  • A throwin from any other location...official may hand or bounce the ball to the thrower.
  • After a BI or GT, an official must administer the throwin.
    Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 11:38am
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
    Quote:
    Originally posted by Camron Rust

The GT was by the defense at the offensive teams basket. The throwin will be on the endline. All endline throwins in the frontcourt are handed to the thrower.

Camron, I've long ago learned not to question your analysis but I can't for the life of me conjure up a scenario where a BI/GT at any basket would not lead to a team getting the ball in their own backcourt.

What am I missing?

Quote:

• Frontcourt endline throwin...the official must hand the ball to the thrower.
  • A throwin from any other location...official may hand or bounce the ball to the thrower.
  • After a BI or GT, an official must administer the throwin. [/B]
  • Good summary, although as has been pointed out handing/bouncing may not be optional. Where I am bouncing on the BC endline & any sidelines varies from STRONGLY recommended to ABSOLUTELY required.
    Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 12:45pm
    Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
    Originally posted by Dan_ref
    Quote:
    Originally posted by Camron Rust

Camron, I've long ago learned not to question your analysis but I can't for the life of me conjure up a scenario where a BI/GT at any basket would not lead to a team getting the ball in their own backcourt.

What am I missing?

After a second look....nothing.

I responded too fast...not considering that the basket is awarded for the defensive interference...before heading off to a meeting.

I agree with you in that all throwins after BI/GT will be in the backcourt since the points wiil be awarded for defensive infractions and the defending team will get the ball on the backcourt endline. And, for offensive infractions, the defense will again get the ball on the backcourt endline after the points are canceled.

Looks like there may actually be an inconsistancy in the rules. :|
    Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 07:39pm
    Official Forum Member

Am I missing something?

Hello All!

Semi-rusty brain at work....

Wouldn't the inbounding team have endline "Priviledge" after an "awarded" basket? Also, wouldn't the subsequent throw-in only occur at the backcourt endline since the official has just awarded the ball to the opponent of the offended team.