The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure if this has been discussed yet.

Fed new rule 9-11-4 (B.I.) Player pulls down a movable ring so that it contacts the ball before the ring returns to its original position.

If a player grabs the ring to do this, 10-3-4 also applies.

No case for this rule. What are the early interpretations?

1) B.I.
2) T
3) B.I. & T
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
This rule is a direct result of the Teddy V/Bobby Knight eruption a few years ago. But to directly answer the question, it is still a T for grasping the ring. If you call a T for grasping the ring and then the ball contacts the rim before it returns to its normal position, it is also BI.

Hopefully, most of the time, you will be able to rule that the ring was not grasped, but that the player's normal follow-through of the dunking motion caused the ring to move. In that case, it would just be BI.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

I haven't heard anything official, but the way I look at this is that new new rule means it is now BI--no matter who pulls the ring down. Additionally, if the player may not legally grasp the ring (most cases other than a shooter trying to maintain his/her balance, avoid injury), there would be a T as well.

Dang! You gotta be quick around here
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 03:39pm
In Memoriam

See NFHS casebook play 9.11.1SitB. It's a T when the ring is grabbed.It's also BI the moment the hand touches the ring while the ball is touching the ring also. The new casebook has the same play in it,and the language covers the above play..
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 10:04pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by Int

1) B.I.
2) T
3) B.I. & T
You forgot 4) B.L.T.
Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Analyze This. Please. (Federation rules)

I recently had this circumstance:

A1 shoots and misses, A2 goes up to dunk the rebound. Grabs the ball high in the air, not in the cylinder, misses the attempted dunk, ball shoots high in the air above the basket (in the cylinder). A2 grabs the ring and it comes down; in my view, he did it to stabilize himself (prevent injury) - as soon as he was stable, he let go of the ring. The ball came down through the basket. At no time was he touching the ring while the ball was touching the ring or in the basket.

And the verdict is . . .
Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Originally posted by Int

1) B.I.
2) T
3) B.I. & T
You forgot 4) B.L.T.
and

5) BFD
Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 10:32am
In Memoriam

Re: Analyze This. Please. (Federation rules)

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffTheRef

A1 shoots and misses, A2 goes up to dunk the rebound. Grabs the ball high in the air, not in the cylinder, misses the attempted dunk, ball shoots high in the air above the basket (in the cylinder). A2 grabs the ring and it comes down; in my view, he did it to stabilize himself (prevent injury) - as soon as he was stable, he let go of the ring. The ball came down through the basket. At no time was he touching the ring while the ball was touching the ring or in the basket.

And the verdict is . . .
BI .... He shouldn't have missed the dunk.
Tough luck for the showboater.
Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Re: Analyze This. Please. (Federation rules)

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffTheRef

And the verdict is . . .
safety = No T.

If the rim had returned to it's original position when the ball got there...count the bucket.
Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

C. Rust

That's what I did. The ex-D1 college players in this game went slightly nuts - nothing unusual. I had never had this happen, and felt blessed that it seemed to happen in slow motion, giving me time to look up each rule in my head as events evolved . . .

Hopefully your ruling will hold up . . . but, as always, JeffTheReff will settle for the truth.