Thread: Hand/Bounce
View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Actually, I don't think they are inconsistant as you suggest....
Quote:
Originally posted by APHP
The purpose of the original question (should the official hand or bounce the ball to the thrower-in following basket interference or goaltending) was to see what responses would be given since the rules/case/simplified & illustrated books give diffferent answers. It is a given that no fan or coach would not know the difference and most officals would not know either.

Rule Book 2003-04::Page 59, Rule 11 Section 12 Penalty 1.--if goaltending occurs at the opponents basket, "the official shall HAND the ball to a player of the team entitled to the throw-in".
The GT was by the defense at the offensive teams basket. The throwin will be on the endline. All endline throwins in the frontcourt are handed to the thrower.

Quote:
Simplified & Illustrated 2003-04::Page66, Rule 9-11-1, Case play at bottom of page--For basket interference "the official HANDS or BOUNCES the ball to a team B player for a throw-in anywhere along the end line nearest team A's basket"
This one was was at A's basket and since B's getting the ball, A committed the violation. The throwin is along the endline but in B backcourt since it was at A's basket.

In the backcourt, all throwins can be bounced or handed.

Quote:

Case Book 2003-04::Page 60, Rule 9.0--Middle of page Basket interference or goaltending "the official MUST HAND or BOUNCE the ball to the thrower."
Correct. It must be one or the other. We can't let the player just grab the dead ball and resume play.

Quote:

Obviously the Books are not consistent with each other. To be redundant, if the books are not consistent then no one in the gym would know what is proper. However, when in doubt I do what the rule book says. I was just curious was to what answers would be given on the board.
They are consistent.

• Frontcourt endline throwin...the official must hand the ball to the thrower.
  • A throwin from any other location...official may hand or bounce the ball to the thrower.
  • After a BI or GT, an official must administer the throwin.