The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 09, 2003, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

They cost me and arm and a leg! But technically, my parents paid for them, kinda like they do with everything else since I'm in college.

They are the Nike Shox R4, all black, and look pretty sweet if you ask me. They are a "new arrival" at The Finish Line (where I bought mine) and at Champs. They cost a hell of a lot, but I firmly believe they will pay for themselves--literally, when I get that varsity check come November, and physically, by the comfort and style.

I figured, why not buy them now, since we have our annual Officials Evaluation on Wednesday. This would be a good time to break them in....of course, I'd break them in before the games on Wednesday, but you get the gist of what I'm saying...
Old Tue Sep 09, 2003, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Just a shoe note of my own. Many people have made positive comments about the New Balance shoe. I found a pair and tried them on, but just didn't feel comfortable in them. Another season in the Converse Whistles, I guess.
Old Tue Sep 09, 2003, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Are the Nikes the ones with the "springs" in the heels?

If so, I don't think I'd be the first to wear them to a varsity game.

Old Tue Sep 09, 2003, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

I have always worn a New Balance cross trainer and have been pleased with them. I'm trying out a New Balance walking shoe this year. Everybody's foot is different, I personally have never found any Reebok or Converse shoe to be very comfortable.
Old Tue Sep 09, 2003, 02:06pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Are the Nikes the ones with the "springs" in the heels?

If so, I don't think I'd be the first to wear them to a varsity game.

Whoa!!! Heckuva point,Bob. That got me thinking,so I "googled" the Nike Shox. Came up with this description-"The concept is the same as springs,but instead of actual springs,Nike Shox uses high density polyurethane foam columns,which provide the same basic effect as springs.They absorb the energy of impact and return it to the wearer on the transition from heel-stroke to toe-off."

Using that description,it sureashell sounds like these shoes should be illegal, as per NFHS R3-5-3- equipment designed to gain an advantage. Have you,or anybody else,heard whether this shoe is illegal,or not? Has the FED or NCAA put out a ruling on them yet?
Old Tue Sep 09, 2003, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Are the Nikes the ones with the "springs" in the heels?If so, I don't think I'd be the first to wear them to a varsity game.
Have you,or anybody else,heard whether this shoe is illegal,or not? Has the FED or NCAA put out a ruling on them yet?
Funny, King was talking about wearing them to officiate in and when Bob replied, I couldn't figure out why he wouldn't want to officiate in them. But JR's post makes a good point. As far as I know, there's no ban on them.
Old Tue Sep 09, 2003, 02:30pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Quote:
Are the Nikes the ones with the "springs" in the heels?If so, I don't think I'd be the first to wear them to a varsity game.
Have you,or anybody else,heard whether this shoe is illegal,or not? Has the FED or NCAA put out a ruling on them yet?
Funny, King was talking about wearing them to officiate in and when Bob replied, I couldn't figure out why he wouldn't want to officiate in them. But JR's post makes a good point. As far as I know, there's no ban on them.
Yabut,would you allow them in your game? I read several different accounts on 'em when I "googled" 'em,and every account says that they are designed to give the exact same effect as springs.Nike is advertising them that way too. The casebook is quite explicit on this one- CB3.5.SitA-"The second standard provides that any equipment ..designed to...gain an advantage shall not be used.The referee is given no leeway here and no judgement is required." I think that someone had better make a decision on this one in a hurry-both for FED and NCAA.
Old Tue Sep 09, 2003, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
I think that someone had better make a decision on this one in a hurry-both for FED and NCAA.
Howard, let me know what your interp is on this rule, so I can let everyone else know. Or better yet, why not join and post for yourself?!?
Old Tue Sep 09, 2003, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Well, I'm gonna allow them until somebody tells me not to. I've never used them, and I don't really know what the effect is (despite company claims). If they really do what they say, then the NCAA and the Fed need to let us know that they're not legal equipment. Just my two cents
Old Tue Sep 09, 2003, 03:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
If they really do what they say, then the NCAA and the Fed need to let us know that they're not legal equipment.
Exactly!
Old Tue Sep 09, 2003, 03:15pm
Huck Finn

Are you guys serious? There is no ban on these shoes. The technology isn't new. They have been out for about 2 years. Didn't you ever see the "bong, bong, bong" Nike commercials?
On a side note, some of these shox are not technically sound. I found this out at Athletes Foot. If you have one near you should go check it out and get them to tell you what kind of foot you have and what kind of shoe you should buy. Maybe some of you have already done this and know this. If so, disregard.
Old Tue Sep 09, 2003, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Are you guys serious?

Yes.

Quote:
There is no ban on these shoes.
We know that. That's why we're saying that if the shoes really do give an unfair advantage, then somebody should tell us what to do about it; b/c as of now, nobody's doing anything about it.

If your opinion is that we shouldn't do anything about them, that's fine. My own opinion is that if they provide extra height to a player's jumping ability, then they should not be considered legal equipment. Would you agree with that? Or do you think that as officials we shouldn't have to be the judge of legal/illegal shoes? I'm just curious.
Old Tue Sep 09, 2003, 03:58pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
My own opinion is that if they provide extra height to a player's jumping ability, then they should not be considered legal equipment. Would you agree with that? Or do you think that as officials we shouldn't have to be the judge of legal/illegal shoes? [/B]
Hell,the casebook says that you can't wear a shoe with a light in it. For the life of me, I can't see how they could justify something like that as being illegal,yet let shoes with quasi-springs in them go.
Old Wed Sep 10, 2003, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Sproing

Wear 'em. And sign your first varsity check over to your parents. If they are as expensive as you act, perhaps you better sign over a couple of checks.

For JR and Chuck try jumping in your bare feet. Now try jumping in your shoes (the ones with the rubber [spring] soles). If you don't jump higher, I bet you at least feel better when you hit the ground.

The two of you wouldn't be saying that officials must live by the same uniform rules as the players... would you?

I can see you two old geezers sproinging down the court...

Sproing.... sproing...

sproing.... sproing...

No I've got trail... sproing...
Back - up sproing... sproing...
Old Wed Sep 10, 2003, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Sproing

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown

For JR and Chuck try jumping in your bare feet. Now try jumping in your shoes (the ones with the rubber [spring] soles). If you don't jump higher, I bet you at least feel better when you hit the ground.
The same could be said for most any decent shoe. All shoes are designed to absorb energy when the foot strikes and release it on the return. Guess we should only allow players in bare feet.