The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 29, 2015, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Coaches on Sidelines Who "Need a Get Back Coach"

More than any other year, I have had problems this year with coaches being on the court. It seems to be worse when they are kneeling or squatting. It doesn't seem to matter if its a small or large gym, whether they have 3 feet or 6 feet from bench to sideline. I've asked for their help, asked them to move back, joked with them about a tether cord,stood in front of them, etc.

99% of the time it hasn't been a problem and doesn't impact the game, but I am afraid one of these times they are going to impact a play or I am going to go flying down the court and run them over.

Anyone have any techniques for this? If your answer is warn 'em then whack 'em, save your keystrokes. I am trying to come up with a more proactive way.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2015, 11:15pm
Courageous When Prudent

My technique is that I'm 6'5"/250lbs, so I run as if I don't see them and they move.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2015, 11:17pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
My technique is that I'm 6'5"/250lbs, so I run as if I don't see them and they move.
This works with cheerleaders too!
Old Thu Jan 29, 2015, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Just plow over 'em

I try to be patent and will usually follow these steps until I get the desired result:

1. Verbal reminder as I run by to stay off court
2. Go over to coach at next dead ball and sternky tell him to stay in his box
3. Stop game and issue an official warning
4. Whack!

If the situation warrants I may skip steps. For instance, if I run into a coach who is standing on the court its an automatic T.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2015, 11:40pm
beware big brother

One warning. After that he will be getting a technical foul, the only thing up for debate is how he gets it. If he hasn't really been an asswipe except for being on the court coaching, I will just issue him a T. If he is being an asswipe in addition to being on the court, I am going to make sure to run into during a transition play and then I am going to issue him a T. I am not quite as big as BNR, but he will know when I run him over running full speed.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2015, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Prior to the opening tip...simply walk over to the bench & ask ALL of the assistant coaches: "Alright guys...who is my "Get Back Coach" tonight? Help keep him in the box so he doesn't get in trouble...OK?".

Now you've identified another person, besides the Head Coach, who you can go to help w/ this issue.

Now, when it becomes a problem later in the game, I can ask the "Get Back Coach" to help, ask the head coach directly, and THEN assess the "T" when needed. ("Coach, I asked both you AND your assistant for help in staying in the box, then I warned you and it still didn't help. I did everything I could and was left with no choice.")
Old Fri Jan 30, 2015, 03:53pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
Did a fifth official warning get added recently?
Old Fri Jan 30, 2015, 04:48pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I'm a softy, I guess. I work with the coach as long as he's not bothering me.

As the C I'm sharing his coaching box frequently. I can work around him if he works around me.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2015, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

As the 'C' official, I love just standing directly in front of them so they can't see their players. As the Coach moves, then I move. Plus I am just a step inside the court. Thus the Coach is right on my back.
Fun times
Old Fri Jan 30, 2015, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I try to be patent and will usually follow these steps until I get the desired result:

4. Whack!

If the situation warrants I may skip steps. For instance, if I run into a coach who is standing on the court its an automatic T.
1, 2, and 3 are the same step. ONE warning. then whack.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Jan 30, 2015, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
Prior to the opening tip...simply walk over to the bench & ask ALL of the assistant coaches: "Alright guys...who is my "Get Back Coach" tonight? Help keep him in the box so he doesn't get in trouble...OK?".

Now you've identified another person, besides the Head Coach, who you can go to help w/ this issue.

Now, when it becomes a problem later in the game, I can ask the "Get Back Coach" to help, ask the head coach directly, and THEN assess the "T" when needed. ("Coach, I asked both you AND your assistant for help in staying in the box, then I warned you and it still didn't help. I did everything I could and was left with no choice.")
Great football advice.

Not so much in basketball. Deal with the HC.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Jan 30, 2015, 06:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

4. Whack!

Why are you giving three warnings? And what is an "official warning?"
Old Fri Jan 30, 2015, 06:50pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I resemble Fat Albert and they move when they see and feel me heading down da court
Old Fri Jan 30, 2015, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Why are you giving three warnings? And what is an "official warning?"
While I'm not a big fan of this thread (I'm a softy like Rich), I do want to address the "official warning" for those that have inquired. You won't find it in the rule book, but after subtle and/or private dealings with the HC prove fruitless and their behavior starts to grind on the crew, you stop the game and issue an "official warning." This is done openly and verbally so that the coach, the table and your partner all know what's up. After I'm done with the coach, for example, I turn to the table and say loudly, "This coach has been warned." Some college assignors even mandate a footnote in the book when this is done. Bottom line, it's a last chance for the coach to recognize he's out of rope, and it helps you CYA if you have to whack him later, because it's not like everyone in the gym won't have seen it coming.

Another tool for your kit. Lots of times coaches enjoy finding out what your threshold is, so this kind of public reprimand without penalizing satisfies them and shuts them up. Often very effective.
Old Sat Jan 31, 2015, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

While I have been trained that actually putting it in the book is an effective tool, I have seldom done it. By "official" I meant a more formal warning to put the coach (and entire gym) on notice that he's crossing that line. I try to be very patient but do have my limits. Going from friendly, to informal, to formal, gives the coach every opportunity to correct borderline behavior before getting the punishment.