The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 22, 2013, 03:36pm
Back from the DL

"Over the Back!" cost the coach

MS-B, earlier this week, first half.

I'm the L, partner calls B-1 for travelling in the midcourt. As I move tableside for the throw-in, Coach B complains to my partner that the calls are one-sided, in his view. My partner explains the call, but Coach B keeps going. My partner issues the T. I ask Coach A to choose his shooter, then administrate the two. I then remind Coach B he's lost the coaching box.

Within two minutes the T, Coach B is on his feet yelling at a player. I'm directly across from him at the time, and my instincts are to direct him to sit, which he does. (Yes, I could have whacked. At this time, I chose not to. Call it "middle school coach sympathy.")

Within another two minutes, I'm the T, A-2 misses a shot, with numerous players rebounding. Coach B stands and yells, "Over the back!" I cringe in disbelief, and in that second, my partner beats me to the whistle. With the second T, Coach B goes to the locker room without incident.

At halftime, Assistant Coach B inquires about the coaching box. I inform him it was gone. He quips, "Why? I'm a good coach. I didn't say anything." I smile and give the reason. He also inquired about the reason for the Ts. I told him I wouldn't speak for the first one, as I didn't hear what the HC said, but the second one, the coach wasn't supposed to be standing, and it certainly didn't help his case that he was falling for one of the biggest rule myths in basketball.

The AC explained that it wasn't fair that A-3 could stand with his arms outstretched over B-2, as it puts B-2 at a disadvantage. I told him I understood, but the foul doesn't exist until there's contact, and if B-2 had jumped, we'd have gotten A-3 for the illegal contact.

I learned a better understanding from where this myth comes. Hopefully, this staff won't make the same mistake elsewhere, and when it inevitably comes up again, I'll have a better explanation at the ready.
Old Mon Dec 23, 2013, 12:35am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Coach might get a reminder if he's coaching. If he's yelling at us, no such courtesy....
Old Tue Dec 24, 2013, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
MS-B, earlier this week, first half.

I'm the L, partner calls B-1 for travelling in the midcourt. As I move tableside for the throw-in, Coach B complains to my partner that the calls are one-sided, in his view. My partner explains the call, but Coach B keeps going. My partner issues the T. I ask Coach A to choose his shooter, then administrate the two. I then remind Coach B he's lost the coaching box.

Within two minutes the T, Coach B is on his feet yelling at a player. I'm directly across from him at the time, and my instincts are to direct him to sit, which he does. (Yes, I could have whacked. At this time, I chose not to. Call it "middle school coach sympathy.")

Within another two minutes, I'm the T, A-2 misses a shot, with numerous players rebounding. Coach B stands and yells, "Over the back!" I cringe in disbelief, and in that second, my partner beats me to the whistle. With the second T, Coach B goes to the locker room without incident.

At halftime, Assistant Coach B inquires about the coaching box. I inform him it was gone. He quips, "Why? I'm a good coach. I didn't say anything." I smile and give the reason. He also inquired about the reason for the Ts. I told him I wouldn't speak for the first one, as I didn't hear what the HC said, but the second one, the coach wasn't supposed to be standing, and it certainly didn't help his case that he was falling for one of the biggest rule myths in basketball.

The AC explained that it wasn't fair that A-3 could stand with his arms outstretched over B-2, as it puts B-2 at a disadvantage. I told him I understood, but the foul doesn't exist until there's contact, and if B-2 had jumped, we'd have gotten A-3 for the illegal contact.

I learned a better understanding from where this myth comes. Hopefully, this staff won't make the same mistake elsewhere, and when it inevitably comes up again, I'll have a better explanation at the ready.
You enforce the rules,coach was warning about coach box was lost after the first t.Refs and myself need to enforce the seat belt rule more.Also we talk to coaches to much in high school than any other sport.Myself started to talk less to coaches and focus on the game